I ask mainly as a landscape photographer.
The only thing I can really conclude from my testing is that color will not be exactly the same with the Hassy, but will it be better or worse, or just different? My best guess is the latter and I'm quite comfortable with that, but I don't know, and I don't know how to find out other than start using it and hoping I'm happy with it after a year (seasons here are very different in terms of light and how subjects look, now we're buried in snow).
Any ideas?
| Sony Alpha SLT Adobe Standrad | P45+ Adobe Standard | P45+ AdobeDNG Prfile Editor |
| P45+ QPCard | P45+ ColorChecker PP | P45+ Capture One |
I ask mainly as a landscape photographer. I've just got this new H4D-50 camera, only using the back in on my Linhof. Previously I've been using Leaf Aptus 75. I'm now running a series of tests to see how well the H4D-50 performs compared to my Aptus 75.
As many of you know if you use the same raw converter for two cameras and generate custom profiles for daylight illuminant (using a color checker) you will get almost indistinguishable color under that light condition. I did that experiment and got the expected result. However in landscape the light is seldom plain daylight, and here in northen Sweden we have pretty extreme light during the winter season, but also during summer with midnight sun etc.
My way to work with color in landscape is to use a daylight profile regardless of light condition, and then hand-tune white balance until it looks natural and realistic according to my memory. I may tone the picture slightly for effect, but I rarely correct individual colors.
When the illuminant changes form the profiled, color rendition will modulate largely as an effect of the sensor's CFA. That is at other light I will start to see a difference between the Aptus 75 and the H4D-50. It would take me a year to go through all seasons and my typical subjects though so it's not a very efficient way to evaluate. The little tests I've done by modulating a reference light seems to suggest that while the Aptus often wants things to be greener than they should (which is what I've felt in the field too), the Hassy will make things redder, but I don't know for sure from that little testing.
The only thing I can really conclude from my testing is that color will not be exactly the same with the Hassy, but will it be better or worse, or just different? My best guess is the latter and I'm quite comfortable with that, but I don't know, and I don't know how to find out other than start using it and hoping I'm happy with it after a year (seasons here are very different in terms of light and how subjects look, now we're buried in snow).
Any ideas?
My color vision is pretty awesome ;), I've quite recently tested it. It's not awesome enough to see difference between CMOS and CCD on scaled down images ;) and I'm not trained to evaluate skin tones (which are not interesting to me as a landscape photographer). But I can differ between tiny differences in tones in the more general case.
The sensor does have about one stop less sensitive red channel for the daylight illuminant, while the Aptus is more balanced for that. I thought that could be a problem so I've looked at that specifically. The increase of noise in reds seems in practical use to be negligible though. I'm trained to do ETTR with my Aptus, and this Hassy is also an ETTR sensor, and as long as I do my exposure right it seems like I will be fine concerning the noise issue.
My favourite subjects and lights varies throughout the very varied seasons around here, so I was thinking if one could make some lab test to make sure there's no really bad spikes or metamerisms or something that could bite me later on.
Torger,
Why not just shoot a frame holding a grey card in front of the lens? That way, you have a reference of a neutral point, technically.
Ya, it cuts your card space in half, but hey, cards are cheaper than gas or plane flights these days. And the post work becomes simple and quick.
just my 2¢
Narrowing down what I would like to know about a camera's color performance for landscape applications I guess that would be metamerism on typcial subjects in nature (if different colors are registered with the same raw RGB values no profile can fix that), and some sort of view of how colors will modulate for various light temperatures available in nature. Possibly one camera will modulate colors in a more natural and realistic way than another.
A good camera would produce pleasing results with a daylight profile and just white balance adjustments, while another camera might require more custom pulling of colors. I don't really know if there are any significant differences there, but it would be interesting to know and have a repeatable method to find out.
A good idea, however ...
If one is photographing a landscape that's a mile away, then the light falling on the landscape is not necessarily the same as the light falling on the photographer.
That would be a perfect excuse to use a drone!
A global uniform distribution of drones or on-demand with the white card or a color checker for a small additional fee:)
In fact, photo drones should have gray cards and color checkers built in:)
The sensor does have about one stop less sensitive red channel for the daylight illuminant, while the Aptus is more balanced for that.
I don't think you need to pay 100 kUSD for a monochromator. Theres is a device from ImageEngineering that costs just below 1k€
http://image-engineering-shop.de/shop/article_IE-camSPECS%2520express/camSPECS-express.html?sessid=shh1SLs40K5itL1P352YtVsI0x0H5s6XuEZRymTobDrNVoHvIbp0HuTHmxzEWW2A&shop_param=cid%3D565%26aid%3DIE-camSPECS%2520express%26