Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: chex on December 31, 2014, 03:33:57 pm

Title: Nikon 85 1.8G or 1.4D
Post by: chex on December 31, 2014, 03:33:57 pm
I can get either of these for basically the same price but can't decide and can't find any info where they are compared with each other. What are your opinions?
Title: Re: Nikon 85 1.8G or 1.4D
Post by: HarperPhotos on December 31, 2014, 03:59:47 pm
Hello,

Definitely go with the Nikon 85mm F1.8 G lens. The G lenses are designed for digital sensors where as the older D lenses where designed in the days of film.

http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/717-nikkorafs8518ff

http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/538-nikkorafd8514ff

Cheers

Simon
Title: Re: Nikon 85 1.8G or 1.4D
Post by: Chairman Bill on December 31, 2014, 04:21:15 pm
I recently bought a 85 1.8 G as replacement for my old 85 AF (prior to the D range). I'm not sure I can tell much difference on either my D700 or D800, so sometimes the older lenses are worth considering.
Title: Re: Nikon 85 1.8G or 1.4D
Post by: E.J. Peiker on December 31, 2014, 05:40:17 pm
Unless you absolutely positively need f/1.4, the 1.8 is much more economical and gives up essentially noting in IQ from f/2 on.  It weighs a lot less too.
Title: Re: Nikon 85 1.8G or 1.4D
Post by: chex on January 01, 2015, 06:41:59 am
Thanks for the replies, I was suprised at the photozone review of the 1.4D
Title: Re: Nikon 85 1.8G or 1.4D
Post by: dwswager on January 01, 2015, 12:00:53 pm
I can get either of these for basically the same price but can't decide and can't find any info where they are compared with each other. What are your opinions?

Depends what you want it for!  I use the 85mm f/1.4D to shoot head and shoulder portraits.  In that application, the sharp center, softer corners is a plus for me.  In addition the 1.4D has 9 blade aperture that lends itself to better brokeh due to the smoother aperture opening than the 7 blade 1.8G and 1.8D.   When I'm in landscape mode I would be covering this focal length with the 70-200mm f/2.8...in most circumstances.  Also, because the 1.4D is rear focusing, it is a fast focuser and doubt you will notice any focusing speed improvement from the AF-S motor in the 1.8G.  Note:  I've had my lens since film days and have never been inclined to upgrade.

Title: Re: Nikon 85 1.8G or 1.4D
Post by: Hulyss on January 01, 2015, 02:48:21 pm
I'm gonna agree with HarperPhotos. I've got almost all 85 in Nikon line and ruined a 85 f1.4G by accident. Out of funds at this moment I bought the 85f1.8G the day it was launched and use it since then. While build in China, this lens is just excellent for this price point, very light compared to others and splash/dust proof. Once plugged on a D700 or D8xx, you forget it. It is a solid and durable performer.
Title: Re: Nikon 85 1.8G or 1.4D
Post by: Petrus on January 01, 2015, 03:33:07 pm
Unless you need f/1.4 for some reason and f/1.8 is not really enough, get the new f/1.8. It is one of the sharpest lenses available at moment, and relatively cheap also.
Title: Re: Nikon 85 1.8G or 1.4D
Post by: David Anderson on January 01, 2015, 04:38:12 pm
I really like the 1.8G - it's light, sharp and cheap for what it is..
Title: Re: Nikon 85 1.8G or 1.4D
Post by: chex on January 02, 2015, 04:44:22 am
Thanks for all the advice!

While I do like portraits the vast majority of my work is landscape. The 70-200 isn't always an option in the event that I'm in a remote area and have to travel light. 1.8G it is.
Title: Re: Nikon 85 1.8G or 1.4D
Post by: LKaven on January 02, 2015, 04:52:41 am
Thanks for all the advice!

While I do like portraits the vast majority of my work is landscape. The 70-200 isn't always an option in the event that I'm in a remote area and have to travel light. 1.8G it is.

For landscapes, you definitely want the 1.8G.  It's very sharp across the frame and has reasonably good coatings for flare reduction.  It is /not/ weather sealed.  
Title: Re: Nikon 85 1.8G or 1.4D
Post by: E.J. Peiker on January 02, 2015, 09:36:01 am
For landscapes there will be no difference between the two image quality wise and the f/1.8 is much lighter and costs a whole lot less.  you can often get that lens with a rebate making it even more affordable.  Just a really great all around lens.
Title: Re: Nikon 85 1.8G or 1.4D
Post by: Paul Gessler on January 02, 2015, 10:00:46 am
Thanks for all the advice!

While I do like portraits the vast majority of my work is landscape. The 70-200 isn't always an option in the event that I'm in a remote area and have to travel light. 1.8G it is.

For landscapes, you definitely want the 1.8G.  It's very sharp across the frame and has reasonably good coatings for flare reduction.  It is /not/ weather sealed. 

I thought the whole line of f/1.8 G primes had the rubber mount gasket. Is this not the case, or are you referring to more extensive weather sealing than the gasket itself?

For what it's worth, I support the line of "unless you absolutely need f/1.4, go for the 1.8" comments. It's lighter, more compact, and very similar optically.
Title: Re: Nikon 85 1.8G or 1.4D
Post by: alain on January 02, 2015, 07:22:29 pm
Hi

Is there a speed difference in focussing between the 85 1.8G and the recent 85 1.4G?

I know the 1.8G is lighter.
Title: Re: Nikon 85 1.8G or 1.4D
Post by: kers on January 05, 2015, 10:27:09 am
I can tell you the 85mm 1.4G is a bit slow.... the speedmonster is the 70-200 f2.8
Those two i have.
PK



Title: Re: Nikon 85 1.8G or 1.4D
Post by: E.J. Peiker on January 05, 2015, 07:47:05 pm
In general the 1.8's are a bit faster to focus than the 1.4's of the same focal length.
Title: Re: Nikon 85 1.8G or 1.4D
Post by: D Fosse on January 10, 2015, 10:49:39 am
The D lenses were made for film. I got a 50/1.4D that I thought would be an excellent performer on my D800 - but as it turned out it has a severe "hot spot" problem, a bluish central circle corresponding to aperture, apparently caused by internal reflections.

I've done a bit of IR photography and this is a common problem there. So I assume this is IR sensitivity in the sensor. Film didn't have this sensitivity, so it wasn't a problem that needed correction back then.
Title: Re: Nikon 85 1.8G or 1.4D
Post by: dwswager on January 10, 2015, 05:24:33 pm
The D lenses were made for film. I got a 50/1.4D that I thought would be an excellent performer on my D800 - but as it turned out it has a severe "hot spot" problem, a bluish central circle corresponding to aperture, apparently caused by internal reflections.

I've done a bit of IR photography and this is a common problem there. So I assume this is IR sensitivity in the sensor. Film didn't have this sensitivity, so it wasn't a problem that needed correction back then.

I've shot both the 85 f/1.4D and 85mm f/1.8D on both film and digital and other than being softer at the corners than their G counterparts, I have not found any issues. 
Title: Re: Nikon 85 1.8G or 1.4D
Post by: HarperPhotos on January 10, 2015, 05:49:34 pm
Hi D Fosse,

I to had the same problem with the Nikon 50mm F1.4 D lens Since then I replaced it with the Nikon 50mm F1.4 G lens and recently replaced that lens with the Sigma 50mm F1.4 Art lens.

I also had the same problem with my Mamiya AF80mm F2.8 lens when I used that now redundant system.

Cheers

Simon
Title: Re: Nikon 85 1.8G or 1.4D
Post by: D Fosse on January 16, 2015, 03:20:34 am
Just picking up this thread again to report that three days ago I dropped my 85mm 1.8 G on to a carpet covered floor, from a height of about 1 m. This was such a "soft" drop that I thought nothing more of it, and just put it away.

The next day I took it out and at first couldn't understand why the viewfinder was so dark....and sure enough the diaphragm was dead stuck.

Takeaway: the "plasticky" feeling you get when you handle this lens is, well, because it is. Optically it's superb, but if you anticipate using it in rough conditions, a 1.4 might be worth the price.
Title: Re: Nikon 85 1.8G or 1.4D
Post by: kers on January 16, 2015, 04:38:00 am
Dropped my 14.g 24mm lens from 5 meter on concrete... In this case the diafragma was everywhere after i tried one shot...
But it  turned out that was the only thing wrong.
I think the diaphragma leaves are a sensitive part because of what they are and must do.