Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Aztex on December 31, 2014, 11:56:33 am

Title: LR 5, Known Gotchas?
Post by: Aztex on December 31, 2014, 11:56:33 am
Hi,

I haven't used LR since about LR2…. I shoot Nikon and found Capture NX did a wonderful job then moving into PS etc made LR just too much.

I found my file management lacking and got an inexpensive copy of LR 5 and want to give it a try again. It is MUCH better than Bridge and I already deleted 1000 images easily.  I have a copy of Scott Kelby's book but as much as I like SK I'd like some more typical users thoughts.

I'd love to try the entire process from import to print via LR5, is there any process along the way that has proven problematic and to be avoided?

Oh yea I added my NIK collection and it seems to work well… any issues there?

It is all familiar so far but I don't think I ever printed from LR, perhaps a glitch back then or my option. This was like 2008 when last attempted. Any issues with the print module?


I shoot RAW Nikon D700.

Thanks,

Aztex
Title: Re: LR 5, Known Gotchas?
Post by: Simon Garrett on December 31, 2014, 01:03:21 pm
I don't have any issues with printing from LR.  It used to be a bit limited, but it's better now.  I used to use Qimage for printing (by setting up Qimage as an external editor in LR) but now the LR print module does everything I normally need. 

Qimage is certainly more powerful for printing, but it does nothing I regularly need (and the UI is so awful that for the few times I might want it, it takes me forever to figure out how to do what I need, so I no longer bother). 
Title: Re: LR 5, Known Gotchas?
Post by: Aztex on December 31, 2014, 03:18:38 pm
I don't have any issues with printing from LR.  It used to be a bit limited, but it's better now.  I used to use Qimage for printing (by setting up Qimage as an external editor in LR) but now the LR print module does everything I normally need. 

Qimage is certainly more powerful for printing, but it does nothing I regularly need (and the UI is so awful that for the few times I might want it, it takes me forever to figure out how to do what I need, so I no longer bother). 

Qimage is still Windows only right?

I want to investigate a RIP but not sure it's worth the hassle/expense for my printer; Canon Pro-10.

Thanks,

Aztex
Title: Re: LR 5, Known Gotchas?
Post by: davidedric on December 31, 2014, 04:33:33 pm
Go along with Simon.   I still have Qimage, but haven't used it in at least a year.  If I can't get what I need from Lightroom, I use a print service.
Title: Re: LR 5, Known Gotchas?
Post by: PhotoEcosse on January 01, 2015, 09:28:11 am
I use Lightroom as the hub for all my photo-processing, from import to printing. No problems at all.

I use most of the Nik programs direct from Lightroom. The exception is ColorEfexPro4. With it I have a tendency to "overcook" the images so, if I am going to use CEP4, I open Photoshop from within Lightroom and then go into CEP4 from Photoshop. I can then decrease the opacity of my CEP4 layer to compensate for the inevitable overcooking before the result is automatically taken back into Lightroom for finishing and printing.

It works for me. Different things will work for different folk.
Title: Re: LR 5, Known Gotchas?
Post by: Aztex on January 01, 2015, 11:44:11 am
I use Lightroom as the hub for all my photo-processing, from import to printing. No problems at all.

I use most of the Nik programs direct from Lightroom. The exception is ColorEfexPro4. With it I have a tendency to "overcook" the images so, if I am going to use CEP4, I open Photoshop from within Lightroom and then go into CEP4 from Photoshop. I can then decrease the opacity of my CEP4 layer to compensate for the inevitable overcooking before the result is automatically taken back into Lightroom for finishing and printing.

It works for me. Different things will work for different folk.

All great news!
I was a LR1 beta user back in what, 2005, and gave up after LR2.
How about LR mobile? I Don't do a lot of photo editing on my iPad but could be fun.  Seems to be pushed by Adobe......

Thanks,
Aztex
Title: Re: LR 5, Known Gotchas?
Post by: aphotoguru on January 02, 2015, 01:16:14 pm
Can't say I've had any issues with Lightroom on Windows and have used it now for close to 5 years, they've definitely made big improvements in that time.