Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Todd Suttles on December 29, 2014, 08:52:57 pm
-
Comments and Critiques? Live or Die?
-
I like it Todd. An interesting contrast in colors, shapes and textures. It reminds me of some of the photographs by Chip Simone that have been exhibited at the Jackson Fine Art gallery in Buckhead.
Later,
Johnny
-
I like it, too. Order vs. Chaos, left to right. Definitely a keeper.
-
Yes a keeper. An image that is worth examining for detail and I suspect an image that could be rendered in more than one way, including B&W.
-
I like it, too. Order vs. Chaos, left to right. Definitely a keeper.
I prefere the chaos, fresh and mighty, the order seem old and tired, it has lost the game.
-
It's at least equally chaotic in B&W. Grand shot, Todd.
-
I prefere the chaos, fresh and mighty, the order seem old and tired, it has lost the game.
Me too. If I had been there I probably would have focused on just the chaos side. But by including the window it seems to me that Todd is making a stronger statement. Yes, the Chaos side is much more interesting than the Order side.
-
Thanks all for the input. It took many, many trials with my shots of this house before I became comfortable with this image of it. Many of those were b&w too (see RSL's rendering). Any feelings about that amongst you guys? My feelings were that the warmth of the setting sun contributes to the affect so I went with color....
And again, thanks for your help -t
-
Both versions work very well. I'd pick the color version because of the really ugly color to cover a house. Makes me think that the house finally had enough and was peeling it off.
-
Both versions work very well. I'd pick the color version because of the really ugly color to cover a house. Makes me think that the house finally had enough and was peeling it off.
LOL Agreed
-
My feelings were that the warmth of the setting sun contributes to the affect so I went with color....
Great image. I think the b/w treatment works very well, but having seen the color version, I think you nailed it all the way around.
-
Hi again Todd.
The façade shot is interesting, in part when one tries to imagine how it got to look like it does; so it adds to the narrative to supply location, and any other meaningful information for context.
As stated in another post, I am obsessive about rectilinearity, so I have straightened the shot in PS, and reduced some pincushion distortion. This has affected the crop, and I have done some more to remove distractions (vertical object on RHS and cloth, and the stuff at the top). I believe it makes for a more-focused composition. Seemed to be some pincushion distortion, which I have tried to correct.
(http://imageshack.com/a/img673/1027/CvGpZ7.jpg)
(http://imageshack.com/a/img673/1417/4c4yo8.jpg)
-
Hi again Todd.
The façade shot is interesting, in part when one tries to imagine how it got to look like it does; so it adds to the narrative to supply location, and any other meaningful information for context.
As stated in another post, I am obsessive about rectilinearity, so I have straightened the shot in PS, and reduced some pincushion distortion. This has affected the crop, and I have done some more to remove distractions (vertical object on RHS and cloth, and the stuff at the top). I believe it makes for a more-focused composition. Seemed to be some pincushion distortion, which I have tried to correct.
I see your point and will re-visit the shots to see if I can correct the perspective issues without loosing some of the image. A part I liked about it was the way the conduit pipe extended and continued the curved line of the peeling vinyl back down to the meter. That trumps the perspective in my taste. I will see what I have to work with in other images. Now I wish I had stood on a stump or something to shoot less upward at it. Then I could have had my cake and eat it too! Thanks again, -t
PS: I have no context that explains what happened to the poor house, -no idea; didn't know such was possible. As for location, just roaming around shooting in Birmingham, Alabama. When I am in "old" towns, I always try to find the neighborhoods on the "other side of the tracks". They are much more interesting to me. The oldest areas are always next to the railroad line or river as they are always the first established.
The house age was around turn of the century as evidenced by the hand hewn original siding used and other architectural features of the house not visible here. It had clearly been abandoned for some time
-
The house age was around turn of the century as evidenced by the hand hewn original siding used and other architectural features of the house not visible here. It had clearly been abandoned for some time
So not a fixer-upper? ;D
-
A part I liked about it was the way the conduit pipe extended and continued the curved line of the peeling vinyl back down to the meter. That trumps the perspective in my taste.
Great point. Always trust your gut.
-
Todd - very interesting image...good eyes....I like looking at this one. Re. color...the green color (along with the pale orange and purples) really makes it...b/w does nothing for it. Sometimes it's worth trying to "correct" perspectival and parallelism issues with the Adaptive Wide Angle filter in PS. E.g., after you first iteration you might try using it to make horizontal the weatherboard lines in the upper right quadrant (this bother me a little as they slope downward to right)...and the window line elements both vertical and horizontal. Nice one, B
-
Sometimes it's worth trying to "correct" perspectival and parallelism issues with the Adaptive Wide Angle filter in PS. E.g., after you first iteration you might try using it to make horizontal the weatherboard lines in the upper right quadrant (this bother me a little as they slope downward to right)...and the window line elements both vertical and horizontal. Nice one, B
I will do that, thanks Brandt