Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: wmchauncey on December 29, 2014, 05:34:25 pm

Title: Menage a trois
Post by: wmchauncey on December 29, 2014, 05:34:25 pm
Were it yours, how big would you print it...up to 6' wide!

(http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l383/chauncey43/3-purple-orchids-65-inches-copy.jpg) (http://s329.photobucket.com/user/chauncey43/media/3-purple-orchids-65-inches-copy.jpg.html)
Title: Re: Menage a trois
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 29, 2014, 09:24:45 pm
The biggest I could go, if it were mine, would be 17x22", as that's as big as my Epson 3800 will print.  ;)

But I think a small print would capture the sense of intimacy better. Perhaps with a large mat around it.
Title: Re: Menage a trois
Post by: BobDavid on December 30, 2014, 11:05:02 am
I'd remove the stem in the lower left-hand quadrant. Then, expand the black space by about an inch on all sides (as a starting point). The orchids require room to breathe so as to appear to be floating.
Title: Re: Menage a trois
Post by: shawnino on December 30, 2014, 01:12:15 pm
I think you can go as big as you can get without losing detail.
Do not mind BobDavid's editing idea at all--that's certainly one way to do it. I like the realism of the included stem, but the floating effect he proposes could be much more dramatic.
Title: Re: Menage a trois
Post by: wmchauncey on December 30, 2014, 02:06:20 pm
I see his point...the only reason for the stem is to base the flowers.        ???
Title: Re: Menage a trois
Post by: Bob_B on December 31, 2014, 08:55:34 am
I see his point...the only reason for the stem is to base the flowers.        ???

Very nice. I don't see problems with the stem. I'd keep it as is, maybe a bit more negative space on the right. Print it large.
Title: Re: Menage a trois
Post by: BobDavid on January 01, 2015, 12:53:13 am
I played around with your orchids in Photoshop to try to show what I meant. I hope you take it with a grain of salt. Every artist interprets/sees differently. I could have spent more time finessing the edits, but this close--the stems require subtler transitioning into the background.
Title: Re: Menage a trois
Post by: mediumcool on January 01, 2015, 03:49:42 am
I'd remove the stem in the lower left-hand quadrant. Then, expand the black space by about an inch on all sides (as a starting point). The orchids require room to breathe so as to appear to be floating.

Or you could de-emphasis the stem by darkening it: I think the pic would look a little fake without the support. IMO.
Title: Re: Menage a trois
Post by: wmchauncey on January 01, 2015, 07:30:08 am
Bob, I had tried what you displayed, but decided to go with a "Golden Spiral" layout.
BTW, I never object to someone trying something new with my images.     ;)
Title: Re: Menage a trois
Post by: BobDavid on January 01, 2015, 09:49:40 am
I am glad you did not mind me tinkering with your photo. Your interpretation is solid for sure. I like to play with images--sort of a habit.