Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Mike Sellers on December 25, 2014, 12:55:06 pm

Title: Foveon Full Frame
Post by: Mike Sellers on December 25, 2014, 12:55:06 pm
I want a foveon that is at least full frame and preferably the size of the Leica S2. I have been printing some shots I took with my SD-1 and they look great. I am using Qimage and they require very little deep focus sharpening and I set the output sharpening to 1. The 16x24`s look great. I have been thinking of converting it to Nikon mount so I can use the Zeiss Otus series lenses!
Mike
Title: Re: Foveon Full Frame
Post by: eronald on December 25, 2014, 06:48:40 pm
I want a foveon that is at least full frame and preferably the size of the Leica S2. I have been printing some shots I took with my SD-1 and they look great. I am using Qimage and they require very little deep focus sharpening and I set the output sharpening to 1. The 16x24`s look great. I have been thinking of converting it to Nikon mount so I can use the Zeiss Otus series lenses!
Mike

The big advantage of the DP is that the lenses which you get "for free" are quite incredible, you should try one. They cost 1O% or so of the price of an Otus.

Edmund
Title: Re: Foveon Full Frame
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on December 26, 2014, 04:36:01 am
I want a foveon that is at least full frame and preferably the size of the Leica S2.

Hi Mike,

I think that is unlikely to happen. The reason is that the Foveon sensor depends on the travel distance through silicon to progressively filter the wavelengths in R/G/B bands, and oblique rays (as in the corners of larger sensors) are therefore a color shift problem because they have longer travel distance through silicon than perpendicular rays. I'm not saying it would be impossible to do, but it would require a huge amount of processing capability that would drain batteries and heat up the camera.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Foveon Full Frame
Post by: Fine_Art on December 26, 2014, 01:20:18 pm
Maybe they can license sony's curved sensor tech.
Title: Re: Foveon Full Frame
Post by: NancyP on January 02, 2015, 08:01:19 pm
The curved sensor is a thought....or, microlenses.
Title: Re: Foveon Full Frame
Post by: Chris_Brown on January 02, 2015, 10:27:28 pm
Ever since Foveon appeared on the scene, I've been waiting for their full-frame sensor. If it hasn't happened now, will it ever?

Their attempt at a 'blad had an impressive press release from Hasselblad:
Quote
President and CEO of Victor Hasselblad AB, Göran Bernhoff, said of the cooperation, "We see Foveon as a very strong partner in the development of a photographic solution that will bring our customers the image quality they have been accustomed to in conventional film, also in the digital field. We see this as a first step in a fruitful cooperation where we combine the capabilities of our respective companies that will result in a series of compelling products for our customers."

(http://www.imaging-resource.com/NPICS1/DFINITY_1_L.JPG)

And remember their v2 model?

(http://www.steves-digicams.com/images3/foveon_camera2.jpg)