Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: John Koerner on December 25, 2014, 05:30:18 am
-
Anyone use these in the field?
(http://www.cottoncarrier.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/2-Camera-Vest.jpg) (http://buy.cottoncarrier.com/2-camera-carrier-vest-system-p/124rtl-d.htm)
If so, are they durable and do they last?
Thanks,
Jack
-
Jack,
I have used the system for about a year and a half. Definitely my go to system for carrying when I am hiking about. Feel totally confident with the camera staying in place as I move through the brush or climb on rocks etc.. Becomes a bit awkward with a long lens attached (but what doesn't?). The only issue I have had (one time) was bending while squatting down - the lens was pushed up by my leg and turned so the camera could move out of the capture slot. Other than that, happy with it in every way.
HTH,
Robert
-
It will sure attract attention....possibly unwanted.
-
Twenty years ago I would have been happy to carry that much gear when hiking. Now, my needs run more to a nice wrist strap. :(
-
Jack,
I have used the system for about a year and a half. Definitely my go to system for carrying when I am hiking about. Feel totally confident with the camera staying in place as I move through the brush or climb on rocks etc.. Becomes a bit awkward with a long lens attached (but what doesn't?). The only issue I have had (one time) was bending while squatting down - the lens was pushed up by my leg and turned so the camera could move out of the capture slot. Other than that, happy with it in every way.
HTH,
Robert
Thank you.
When I go out, I also carry gear like snake tongs, sweep nets, etc., and it's a hassle to put the camera down and switch back and forth.
I also switch from a macro lens (close up) to wide-angle (to get habitat shots), and lens-switching is doubly-cumbersome.
I thought this system would make switching easier, so glad to hear it's workable. I guess it is just something I will have to get used to and adapt, once on.
Thanks again,
Jack
-
It will sure attract attention....possibly unwanted.
I carry other things besides cameras ;)
-
Twenty years ago I would have been happy to carry that much gear when hiking. Now, my needs run more to a nice wrist strap. :(
I hear ya. But those wrist strap cameras can't do what I need a camera to do ...
-
I hear ya. But those wrist strap cameras can't do what I need a camera to do ...
I think he meant a wrist strap on a DSLR.
-
I think he meant a wrist strap on a DSLR.
Oh, I thought he meant P & S.
The Cotton Carriers actually have wrist straps on them as well.
-
I am a big fan of the CC vest. It works very well for hiking in situations where you need hands free for poles or for scrambling. It works well under a standard camper's backpack. A supertelephoto lens over 10" in length might be too cumbersome for me, in that it would interfere with free movement of legs. I do carry a 10" long 400mm lens mounted on a camera, and I am short. Tall or long-waisted people might be able to manage longer lenses. I put the CC mounting disc on the screw tap on my custom L bracket, so as not to stress the camera's own screw tap. I found that putting the CC mounting disc on the lens foot screw tap had the camera and lens a bit too far forward. Long lenses can be prevented from twisting by using the extra length of hook-loop strapping on the CC belt to encircle the lens.