Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: Rory on December 19, 2014, 02:00:08 pm

Title: Camera Equipment of The Year – 2014
Post by: Rory on December 19, 2014, 02:00:08 pm
Nice roundup.  While the focus appears to be dominated by mirrorless, one late addition by Canon deserves inclusion in my opinion: the new 400mm DO.  This is potentially a transformative lens technology, packing what appears to be top-of-the-line IQ in a smaller, lighter package.
Title: Re: Camera Equipment of The Year – 2014
Post by: Telecaster on December 19, 2014, 05:56:45 pm
I have the DO version of Canon's 70–300mm, which came out in 2004. It's a lens that doesn't seem to get much love, but I'm a big fan. When I sold most of my Canon gear in 2007—including all the L stuff—it and a 24–85mm were the only lenses I kept. The DO is lower in contrast than most Canons and is flare-prone with front- or side-lighting…both of which can be used to good effect if you're willing to let go of perfectionism. I really should get an EF-to-FE adapter so I can use it on my A7r.

-Dave-
Title: Re: Camera Equipment of The Year – 2014
Post by: Rory on December 19, 2014, 06:32:00 pm
I think the latest breakthroughs in DO technology are significant.  The original DO lenses had some shortcomings.
Title: Re: Camera Equipment of The Year – 2014
Post by: Chrisso26 on December 19, 2014, 08:53:25 pm
Sigma DP2 'dumbest camera of the year' is a little unfair. Maybe 'biggest disappointment' if you were hoping they would fix certain issues.
I hope I don't come across as a Sigma fanboy, I'm not. My first Sigma product was the 18-35mm Art lens about a year ago. I bought a couple of Merrills when they dropped the price, and I'm really enjoying my photography again.
I just think they aren't do-it-all cameras. They are like an open top sports car with heavy gears. They are impractical, but lot's of fun, and can be very rewarding.
Anyway, these gear roundup videos are fun to watch and articles interesting to read. Thanks.
Title: Re: Camera Equipment of The Year – 2014
Post by: BernardLanguillier on December 20, 2014, 02:22:40 am
Unsurprisingly, my bet goes for the D810 and Otus 55mm f1.4. Releasing the perfect DSLR, the one that doesn't have a single thing I wished were improved, deserves some sympathy in my book and got me an order of magnitude more excited that any EVF. ;)

Except for the 645Z, it feels that the selection of winners puts a high focus on convenience over the quality of the photographic outcome.

I wonder what fraction of photographers worldwide share these priorities? My bet is that the "young world" of China and India is still more about ultimate image quality than compactness.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Camera Equipment of The Year – 2014
Post by: OldRoy on December 20, 2014, 08:03:32 am
"One word before we start – whenever a discussion of cameras comes up a cliche proclaimed among some self-appointed web forum thought police is – "It's not the camera, it's the photographer."  Right. We get it. You've now impressed us with how insightful you are. But in the world of music, there are few serious musicians, let alone performing pros, who wouldn't prefer working with a Strad or a Steinway. Good artists are made better though the use of the best tools."

Right, we get it. You've now impressed us with yet another cliché.
http://www.thestrad.com/cpt-latests/blind-tested-soloists-unable-to-tell-stradivarius-violins-from-modern-instruments/

Days later: I thought that link might be a show-stopper!
Title: Re: Camera Equipment of The Year – 2014
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 06, 2015, 12:04:57 pm
What for me is striking is the fact that mirrorless systems have matured to the point that they can provide a solid shooting base for probably the majority of hobbyists and even pros.

For example, the Sony A7 series can cater for different priorities, e.g. high rez, high ISO, normal use, all in FF of course. With the increase of number of lenses being released in 2015, the system will continue to grow.

Smaller than FF, mirrorless has made some important strides as well, with Fuji X and Olympus  well established, with fantastic lens offers. Again, a solid alternative to crop-DSLRs.

It is clear that the focus in Lula is towards mirrorless, because that is what Michael and Kevin are increasingly using, as it satisfies their IQ requirements for most uses. And that says a lot. However, it is interesting to note the use of the Pentax 645 MF digital camera, when higher IQ is required. This higher IQ niche, for Michael, seems not to be the domain of the DSLR anymore.
Title: Re: Camera Equipment of The Year – 2014
Post by: Telecaster on January 06, 2015, 05:29:55 pm
However, it is interesting to note the use of the Pentax 645 MF digital camera, when higher IQ is required. This higher IQ niche, for Michael, seems not to be the domain of the DSLR anymore.

Well, the 645z is a D-SLR.  :)  But I get your point…it's not a 3:2 aspect ratio camera (capable of) using 35mm format lenses.

I'm looking forward to CaNikon's inevitable first proper mirrorless (but likely very SLR-like) offerings. I'd be interested in a well-designed & implemented Nikon version myself. Excellent EVF manual focusing mandatory, of course.

-Dave-