Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Mike Guilbault on December 17, 2014, 10:39:06 pm

Title: Printing on Stone/Tiles
Post by: Mike Guilbault on December 17, 2014, 10:39:06 pm
I recently saw some prints made on what looked like stone or tile and was labelled "Tumbled Marble".  Does anyone have any information about this sort of thing?
Title: Re: Printing on Stone/Tiles
Post by: jferrari on December 17, 2014, 11:11:36 pm
Check out "dye sublimation."    - Jim
Title: Re: Printing on Stone/Tiles
Post by: aaronchan on December 18, 2014, 12:10:10 am
Either dye-sub or uv-cured
Title: Re: Printing on Stone/Tiles
Post by: wildstork on December 18, 2014, 12:18:45 am
Mike,
My best guess it that the image is probably printed on a substrate such as Ink Aid (applied to a polyurethane sheet), peeled off and applied with something like gloss medium to the stone or tile.  You can't run stone through a printer but you can print pigmented inks on Ink Aid, pull it off the polyurethane and affix it to most anything.

Lawrence
Title: Re: Printing on Stone/Tiles
Post by: Mike Guilbault on December 18, 2014, 09:26:43 am
That's what I was wondering Lawrence... how he got the stone/tile to run though a printer. I'm pretty sure he's using a 7900 printer. I'll look up Ink Aid. thanks.
Title: Re: Printing on Stone/Tiles
Post by: mstevensphoto on December 18, 2014, 12:37:34 pm
were it me I'd print on something other than the stone and transfer it.
Title: Re: Printing on Stone/Tiles
Post by: rubo on December 18, 2014, 03:52:01 pm
I do that all day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PyXcrOqC4g

Find somebody with DTG printer, get some inkaid and you're good to go
Title: Re: Printing on Stone/Tiles
Post by: iladi on December 18, 2014, 04:15:55 pm
Even better:

http://ezhitech.com/Equipment/AzonPrinters.html

I have a DTS WHITE one. Prints directly on stone, tile, glass, aluminium, leather. 10 cm thick objects.

There are other similar brands doing same thing:

http://www.directcolorsystems.com/direct-jet-printers.php
Title: Re: Printing on Stone/Tiles
Post by: Mike Guilbault on December 18, 2014, 07:32:15 pm
hmmm... not interested in another printer I'm afraid. Just wondering if it's possible somehow with an Epson 4900/9900.
Title: Re: Printing on Stone/Tiles
Post by: digitaldog on December 18, 2014, 08:11:42 pm
hmmm... not interested in another printer I'm afraid. Just wondering if it's possible somehow with an Epson 4900/9900.
I think so. I built a number of ICC profiles for a client using some kind of transfer onto tile. They sent me my target printed on pretty thick ceramic tile and I think it was from an ink jet but I’ll check with them.
Title: Re: Printing on Stone/Tiles
Post by: digitaldog on December 18, 2014, 08:23:36 pm
Wow, that was fast, client confirmed that indeed he’s using an Epson. So doable.
Title: Re: Printing on Stone/Tiles
Post by: Mike Guilbault on December 18, 2014, 08:26:09 pm
That's great!  Any chance you can either ask him how he's doing it... or ask if I can contact him directly?
Title: Re: Printing on Stone/Tiles
Post by: bteifeld on December 18, 2014, 11:43:57 pm
Digital Art Studio: Techniques for Combining Inkjet Printing with Traditional Art Materials  ISBN-10: 0823013421
This book describes many transfer processes including some for tile.

Digital Alchemy: Printmaking techniques for fine art, photography, and mixed media ISBN-10: 0321732995
Later book by same primary author; discusses similar and later developed transfer processes
Title: Re: Printing on Stone/Tiles
Post by: rubo on December 19, 2014, 10:06:16 am
The OP was about "printing" on tiles...if you want to transfer on tiles you don't need a book, you need tattoo paper - comes in rolls up to 54" wide. Forgot the name of the seller - but, as always, Google is your friend.