Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: deejjjaaaa on December 17, 2014, 02:08:28 pm
-
http://slickdeals.net/f/7520432-x-rite-i1display-pro-129-00-rebate-bhphoto
-
Does this version calibrate the video card or the LUT of the screen?
-
This deal seems to be no-longer active. :(
Alan
-
Does this version calibrate the video card or the LUT of the screen?
I think it depends on the monitor and profiling software you use.
If you use the x-rite iProfiler software (or, AFAIK Argyll s/w) then it just programs the video card LUTs. But if you have a Dell monitor with hardware LUTs and use the Dell software, then it will use the i1 Display Pro to generate LUT data to be loaded in the hardware LUTs. Similarly if you use an Eizo monitor with hardware LUTs, then the supplied ColorNavigator 6 s/w will create hardware LUT data.
AFAIK the Dell s/w for the Dell U2413 and UP241Q requires the i1 Display Pro (nothing else will do), but Eizo ColorNavigator software will work with a range of colorimeters (but not all, e.g. not the ColorMunk Display).
Hope that helps.
-
I have a Samsung XL30. it came with an i1 calibration device and tthe Natural Color Expert software FOR Samsung.
But the thoughtful folks at Samsung designed a monitor for color critical work knowing that a 64bit OS would likely be the standard for image industry, yet sold a $5000 screen with only 32bit support!
(Now available at Overstock for $3700)...Still with no 64bit support...AMAZING.
So I doubt the spectro that I have that came with the screen will work with i1 software. I wonder if I can do a test tryB4buy?
Otherwise I need a device to tune the screen LUT. One of the reasons it maybe a bit tricky and specific from i1 to the XL30, is that it only has a "MODE" button on the screen that toggles between modes(AdobeRGB,sRGB,Emulation, Calibrated,"Bypass/no Mode"). There is an Up/Down button which only applies to the "Bypass" Mode, and lastly On/Off Power button...That is it!
(I already have a Spyder3Elite , which doesn't really help this screen)
-
I will i1 a call tomorrow, unless someone has some info, I will have to hear from them
-
they said their software and hardware will NOT get to the LUT on the screen, just the vid card.
Only the monitor makes software will allow to adjust the LUT. SO it has to be NCE, which says it is incompatible. Now I heard Dreamcolor uses the same tech as Samsung sold it off to them?. So I downloaded Dramcolor calibration, and it actually sees the screen. But it doesn't see my i1Pisplay puck(nor my Spyder3E)
-
The i1 Pro or i1 Pro 2 will work with the Dell software now. I installed it yesterday and tried it and the choice is there. My PA241 is starting to show drift after 8000 lamp hours and may need to be replaced soon. I'd like to go 30" this time, since 27" doesn't really buy much more physical size in the vertical dimension. With other stuff I need to get soon, the money might not be there for a PA302, so I am considering the Dell.
-
Yes a 30" is a chunk taller than the 27".
I can't get the XL30 calibrated in the monitor's LUT, so its a real pain not having the confidence in what I'm looking at. I have another screen I am checking with, but smaller.