Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: NickCroken on December 17, 2014, 01:22:53 pm

Title: Inkjet transfer to Wood
Post by: NickCroken on December 17, 2014, 01:22:53 pm
I have been looking into transferring prints to wood for a portrait project.  Has anyone done this with decent success?  I have read about using wax paper which, despite the theory making sense, seems a bit odd.  I'd be printing using an epson 9880.  If you have any experience with this, please let me know!

Thanks!
Nick
Title: Re: Inkjet transfer to Wood
Post by: rubo on December 18, 2014, 04:01:01 pm
get some inkaid, apply on veneer and print with your 9880. do not oversaturate the veneer, it will start buckling up ==> head strikes. I do full panels (4x8) on my 9700 - not full, the width is 44" of course, but still...No issues
Title: Re: Inkjet transfer to Wood
Post by: NickCroken on December 19, 2014, 11:03:15 am
Excellent, another member suggested ink aid as well.  Where are you sourcing your veneers? I have a friend who owns a woodshop so I'll try him as a supplier first before going online.  Do you know the thickness of your veneers?
Title: Re: Inkjet transfer to Wood
Post by: rubo on December 19, 2014, 12:46:46 pm
Where are you located? It's really hard to tell you where to go to - for all I know you might be in Goby desert in Mongolia? Your local time makes me think East coast somewhere? You might be lucky - the Inkaid is in NJ, the guy won't ship anything in the winter - the stuff will freeze  ;D The thickness - I don't know - just eyeball it, make sure it's not thicker than canvas.
Title: Re: Inkjet transfer to Wood
Post by: NickCroken on December 19, 2014, 10:55:53 pm
haha I'm in Edmonton, Ab.  Looks like I'll have to wait until spring!  Everything freezes solid up here at this time of year :(