Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: jferrari on December 17, 2014, 01:16:56 am

Title: LightRoom 5.7 - Paper size
Post by: jferrari on December 17, 2014, 01:16:56 am
Where do my paper sizes get stored? When I create a new paper size, say 44 by 68, where does LR store that information? I have a new computer and I'd like to see if I could cut and paste my existing sizes to the new machine. Thanks.     - Jim
Title: Re: LightRoom 5.7 - Paper size
Post by: pflower on December 17, 2014, 09:07:04 am
Not sure if what you are asking is covered by this.  But the user print templates (which presumably include print settings) are stored in Mac OS at username/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/Print Templates/User Templates.  Well at least mine are.
Title: Re: LightRoom 5.7 - Paper size
Post by: AFairley on December 17, 2014, 12:32:57 pm
Google will quickly give you the answer for both Windows and Mac.  But LR has an option to save user presets in the same location as the catalog, and I recommend doing this - makes comprehensive backups and system rebuilds a lot easier.
Title: Re: LightRoom 5.7 - Paper size
Post by: jferrari on December 17, 2014, 11:02:18 pm
Thanks for the replies thus far but there are two more pieces of information that I inadvertently omitted from my OP. First is that I'm on a PC and second is that I have already searched my computer and Google for an inordinate amount of time with no success which is why I posted the question here. I was thinking that one of the advanced users on the board would know the answer of the top of their head and spend the fifteen seconds to type the answer. In the time I wasted looking around Google and my computer I could have (should have) just re-typed the paper size table from scratch. Who knew it was this complex? Not me.    - Jim

p.s. That will teach me to try to get a new machine up and running during the peak of Christmas season!
Title: Re: LightRoom 5.7 - Paper size
Post by: jferrari on December 17, 2014, 11:09:58 pm
Thanks for the reply AFairley but the paper sizes are not stored in the Preferences, Printer or User Preset areas. Maybe they are stored in some kind of Epson printer file? I noticed that all of my paper sizes are available from Photoshop as well as LR so maybe Epson has a file somewhere. Ideas? Thanks.      - Jim
Title: Re: LightRoom 5.7 - Paper size
Post by: aduke on December 18, 2014, 12:06:52 am
I have a vague belief that the paper sizes are stored in the printer driver. I've had a couple of times where the printer driver has changed and found that none of the old presets actually chose the correct paper size and that I had to recreate them.  :(

Luckily, it has been my practice to put the paper size in the name of the preset, so there was little difficulty recreating the presets.  ;D

Alan
Title: Re: LightRoom 5.7 - Paper size
Post by: CoyoteButtes on December 18, 2014, 04:28:20 am
Paper size is specified in the Page Setup dialog box - button in lower left of LR print module. And then paper size can be saved in a user specified Print Template. To me this is one of the greatest features in printing from Lightroom.
Title: Re: LightRoom 5.7 - Paper size
Post by: AFairley on December 18, 2014, 11:12:12 am
Thanks for the reply AFairley but the paper sizes are not stored in the Preferences, Printer or User Preset areas. Maybe they are stored in some kind of Epson printer file? I noticed that all of my paper sizes are available from Photoshop as well as LR so maybe Epson has a file somewhere. Ideas? Thanks.      - Jim

Oops, that is correct, they are created not by LR but by the Epson driver.  Sorry....
Title: Re: LightRoom 5.7 - Paper size
Post by: Onslow on December 20, 2014, 08:31:57 am
Not sure if this is what you are referring to but here goes. In the Epson driver on my 7800, I have about 30 custom paper sizes for my roll papers as well as various paper settings for different papers. Backing up each one and then restoring them individually is tedious. However, on the Utility tab, there is an icon called Export or Import. This will save all of the driver settings for sizes and papers etc to a location and you can also import them back. Is this perhaps what you were after?
Title: Re: LightRoom 5.7 - Paper size
Post by: jferrari on December 20, 2014, 05:54:22 pm
Thanks, Onslow, I really thought you had the solution and you actually might. It's just that when I preform the export/import I receive a Version Error. I have confirmed that both machines are running Version 6.75 of the printer software so I don't know what is actually to blame. Thanks for you help.     - Jim
Title: Re: LightRoom 5.7 - Paper size
Post by: Onslow on December 20, 2014, 06:57:50 pm
Thanks, Onslow, I really thought you had the solution and you actually might. It's just that when I preform the export/import I receive a Version Error. I have confirmed that both machines are running Version 6.75 of the printer software so I don't know what is actually to blame. Thanks for you help.     - Jim
Hmm, sorry to hear that. Are you running the latest driver for your printer?
Title: Re: LightRoom 5.7 - Paper size
Post by: jferrari on December 21, 2014, 08:32:29 pm
Hmm, sorry to hear that. Are you running the latest driver for your printer?

Well I thought I'd install the latest driver file Epson had available even though both machines reported using version 6.75. Not a very bright move on my part. Now both machines have none of my paper sizes. So now I have to create all of them on two machines. Fun, fun fun. :'(
Title: Re: LightRoom 5.7 - Paper size
Post by: Onslow on December 21, 2014, 11:54:11 pm
Well I thought I'd install the latest driver file Epson had available even though both machines reported using version 6.75. Not a very bright move on my part. Now both machines have none of my paper sizes. So now I have to create all of them on two machines. Fun, fun fun. :'(
Oh crap. Do you have any backups anywhere you can retrieve them from?
Title: Re: LightRoom 5.7 - Paper size
Post by: jferrari on December 22, 2014, 07:58:43 am
Nope. Apparently since the last total restore due to hard drive issues I have not made any restore points that include the windows system32 files. Clients files are done daily but not the OS files. Shame on me.

Thanks for taking an interest, Onslow. Happy holidays!    - Jim