Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: torger on December 16, 2014, 04:55:19 pm

Title: H-mount adapter plate does not fit. Suggestions?
Post by: torger on December 16, 2014, 04:55:19 pm
So I got my H4D-50 and was about to attach the back to my Linhof Techno via the H-mount adapter plate I've used successfully with my H-mount Aptus.

Well, the H4D-50 did not fit:-(. It's very hard to figure out where it collides, but I have a theory. The safety button on top of the back is colliding with the small metal housing that holds the attach button in the adapter. This collision is not what causes the back not fit as a direct cause (it would not be an as distinctive metal-to-metal clap-stop as it is now, as the button is spring-loaded), but my theory is that the contact forces the back into a low position which makes the pin or the light trap to collide making it impossible to get into position.

My adapter plate is quite old (Phase One H101), and I'm thinking maybe that Hasselblad safety button did not exist on older backs (it does not exist on my Aptus by the way) meaning that the housing on the adapter plate worked before, but not with the newer backs. Is that right?

I've attached an image of the back, and of the adapter plate with the housing. I've started sanding down the critical area but I need to get a better tool tomorrow to finish the job. Before doing that I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone has any feedback.
Title: Re: H-mount adapter plate does not fit. Suggestions?
Post by: NickT on December 16, 2014, 09:55:54 pm
I think your analysis is correct. I have a feeling too that the safety catch on the Hasselblads has changed over the years and this could be part of the problem.
Title: Re: H-mount adapter plate does not fit. Suggestions?
Post by: bdp on December 16, 2014, 10:37:04 pm
Even if you grind that enough to clip on, don't you still need access to the safety catch to detach the back? Or does the blue button on the adapter do it?

Ben
Title: Re: H-mount adapter plate does not fit. Suggestions?
Post by: torger on December 17, 2014, 04:49:37 am
Even if you grind that enough to clip on, don't you still need access to the safety catch to detach the back? Or does the blue button on the adapter do it?

Good point... would not be nice to get it on there and then not be able to detatch it :)

It will be possible to access the safety catch though, but I need to make enough space so I can actually move it too.
Title: Re: H-mount adapter plate does not fit. Suggestions?
Post by: torger on December 17, 2014, 02:24:08 pm
Problem solved. Sanding down the blue button housing to fit the safety catch button was enough. Now it sits without any jiggle at all. Problem is that I will need that fishing line trick to be able to detach it, but as I don't have any lens for my H4D body I won't be needing to do that often :)
Title: Re: H-mount adapter plate does not fit. Suggestions?
Post by: ErikKaffehr on December 17, 2014, 02:55:35 pm
Hi,

Great news! I hope you enjoy your new back!

Best regards
Erik

Problem solved. Sanding down the blue button housing to fit the safety catch button was enough. Now it sits without any jiggle at all. Problem is that I will need that fishing line trick to be able to detach it, but as I don't have any lens for my H4D body I won't be needing to do that often :)
Title: Re: H-mount adapter plate does not fit. Suggestions?
Post by: torger on December 18, 2014, 01:31:38 am
Hi,

Great news! I hope you enjoy your new back!

Best regards
Erik


Thanks. I'll do plenty testing the coming time and see if it's for me. It's likely that I'll keep it, but not 100% sure. I do like my Aptus and the H4D-50 needs to prove itself.

It did not start too well because the files is not working in my favourite raw converter RawTherapee, which is kind of strange because most other Hassy files work. I'm trying to figure out why and make a patch. Seems like it could be a black level thing. Meanwhile I'll try to get used to Phocus, also have Lightroom as a backup.
Title: Re: H-mount adapter plate does not fit. Suggestions?
Post by: torger on December 18, 2014, 08:40:22 am
Adding some summarizing info here for reference if someone stumbles across the same issue later on: