Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RSL on December 16, 2014, 08:56:56 am

Title: Afternoon on the Palatlakaha
Post by: RSL on December 16, 2014, 08:56:56 am
If I can't do street, I'll do river.
Title: Re: Afternoon on the Palatlakaha
Post by: SanderKikkert on December 16, 2014, 09:03:20 am
And you do it pretty darn right as well Russ, a lovely image, fine light and I could get lost in all the detail if I wanted to.
Best Regards, Sander
Title: Re: Afternoon on the Palatlakaha
Post by: francois on December 16, 2014, 10:45:41 am
Very busy with details everywhere but the scene is relaxing, I would stay there an entire afternoon.
Well done!
Title: Re: Afternoon on the Palatlakaha
Post by: petermfiore on December 16, 2014, 04:35:02 pm
Very busy with details everywhere but the scene is relaxing, I would stay there an entire afternoon.
Well done!

And i would paint it too...

Peter
Title: Re: Afternoon on the Palatlakaha
Post by: RSL on December 16, 2014, 05:49:15 pm
Thanks all, and Peter, that's the ultimate compliment.
Title: Re: Afternoon on the Palatlakaha
Post by: KMRennie on December 17, 2014, 12:27:08 pm
Nice relaxing image Russ. My eye however is being drawn to the bright patch of grass on the LHS, would the image be improved if it were darkened a bit?
Ken
Title: Re: Afternoon on the Palatlakaha
Post by: petermfiore on December 17, 2014, 01:22:37 pm
Nice relaxing image Russ. My eye however is being drawn to the bright patch of grass on the LHS, would the image be improved if it were darkened a bit?
Ken

That's reason for me to paint it.....Rule breaking.

Peter
Title: Re: Afternoon on the Palatlakaha
Post by: RSL on December 17, 2014, 03:28:31 pm
Hi Ken, Actually I reduced it in Photoshop before I decided to leave it as is. Peter's right; it's a rule breaker, but I've never in my life been completely pinned down by rules.
Title: Re: Afternoon on the Palatlakaha
Post by: stamper on December 18, 2014, 04:20:41 am
A liquid street? In a few years Russ you will become a talented landscape photographer. ;) A very nice scene and the patch of light looks fine to me.
Title: Re: Afternoon on the Palatlakaha
Post by: seamus finn on December 18, 2014, 03:46:20 pm
For me, a beautiful 'river street', but maybe a bit too detailed. Lovely light and so on. Perhaps you were in a hurry on the day, but that's a scene you could spend a whole day shooting. Fascinating possibilities!
Title: Re: Afternoon on the Palatlakaha
Post by: RSL on December 20, 2014, 09:33:23 am
I've been doing some curves experimentation with this one. I think this version is an improvement.
Title: Re: Afternoon on the Palatlakaha
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 20, 2014, 10:20:26 am
I like the new version. It is much more open, and feels much more natural. Nice work, Russ.
Title: Re: Afternoon on the Palatlakaha
Post by: Bruce Cox on December 20, 2014, 11:37:19 am
I like the new version better, too.  To quibble, though, the far shore around the bend to the left is a little better integrated in the first version.
Title: Re: Afternoon on the Palatlakaha
Post by: RSL on December 20, 2014, 12:04:34 pm
Thanks, Eric. And point taken, Bruce. When I get some time I'll go back to Photoshop, make me a layer and see what I can do about that.
Title: Re: Afternoon on the Palatlakaha
Post by: RSL on December 21, 2014, 10:19:14 am
Better, Bruce?
Title: Re: Afternoon on the Palatlakaha
Post by: Bruce Cox on December 21, 2014, 03:24:44 pm
Oh, yes, thumbs up.
Title: Re: Afternoon on the Palatlakaha
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 21, 2014, 04:31:31 pm
Better watch out, Russ. You're turning into a pretty fine landscape photographer.