Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: robertvine on December 16, 2014, 12:29:54 am

Title: Recommended Processing Tutorials?
Post by: robertvine on December 16, 2014, 12:29:54 am
Hi All, I've worked my way through all the LL video tutorials and pretty much mastered LR but I'm looking to expand my knowledge of PS and get some inspiration to be more creative in post processing. Can anyone recommend other resources (video or otherwise) that helped them improve their workflow?

Thanks!
Title: Re: Recommended Processing Tutorials?
Post by: sharperstill on December 16, 2014, 04:46:03 am
Tony Kuyper & luminosity masks. Game changing for me.
Title: Re: Recommended Processing Tutorials?
Post by: robertvine on December 16, 2014, 06:29:47 am
Thanks, I'll check it out!
Title: Re: Recommended Processing Tutorials?
Post by: Alan Smallbone on December 16, 2014, 10:20:22 am
For Tony Kuypers luminosity masks, get the Sean Bagshaw tutorials, really well done. Ian Plant also some decent tutorials.

Alan
Title: Re: Recommended Processing Tutorials?
Post by: robertvine on December 16, 2014, 09:34:01 pm
I'll check them out, just starting to work out how to use the masks - so far the results are good!
Title: Re: Recommended Processing Tutorials?
Post by: sharperstill on December 17, 2014, 05:57:27 am
Yes Sean's tutorials add depth to their use.
Title: Re: Recommended Processing Tutorials?
Post by: texshooter on December 21, 2014, 05:19:39 am
doesn't Topaz Detail and Topaz Clarity do the same thing as Kuyper's actions?
Title: Re: Recommended Processing Tutorials?
Post by: Alan Smallbone on December 22, 2014, 10:30:31 am
No Kuypers actions are for luminosity masks, which are very useful for a lot of things. Detail is noise removal and Clarity is more like a sharpening and contrast adjustment. Kuyper's actions are for creating luminosity masks which can be used like any other mask in photoshop.

Alan
Title: Re: Recommended Processing Tutorials?
Post by: robertvine on December 22, 2014, 07:03:34 pm
I'm working my way through the video tutorials now and getting some great results. Thanks for the suggestion!
Title: Re: Recommended Processing Tutorials?
Post by: Fatih on December 27, 2014, 09:40:13 pm

Lynda.com has many good courses.

http://www.lynda.com
Title: Re: Recommended Processing Tutorials?
Post by: mouse on December 29, 2014, 08:27:00 pm
I would highly recommend George Jardine's tutorials:
http://mulita.com/blog/?page_id=3084 (http://mulita.com/blog/?page_id=3084)
Title: Re: Recommended Processing Tutorials?
Post by: texshooter on January 12, 2015, 02:37:08 am
Ron Bigelow's articles on sharpening, etc., are library worthy.

http://ronbigelow.com/articles/articles.htm (http://ronbigelow.com/articles/articles.htm)

Title: Re: Recommended Processing Tutorials?
Post by: Denis de Gannes on January 12, 2015, 04:36:17 am
I would highly recommend George Jardine's tutorials:
http://mulita.com/blog/?page_id=3084 (http://mulita.com/blog/?page_id=3084)

I agree.  :)
Title: Re: Recommended Processing Tutorials?
Post by: texshooter on January 12, 2015, 05:10:36 pm
Mark Atelier has a DVD on IR naturescape post processing. I bought it but haven't watched it yet. He appears to know his stuff. He gave me advice on which cameras work best for infrared. IR is definitely on my list of to-do's.


http://www.markhilliardatelier.com/156129/ir-education-blog (http://www.markhilliardatelier.com/156129/ir-education-blog)

Title: Re: Recommended Processing Tutorials?
Post by: pixswim on January 17, 2015, 03:47:16 pm


At the time, approx. CS2, Katrine Eismann's books were amongst the best I referenced for Masking, Layers, and Retouching. The techniques are still applicable and I have always appreciated knowing "older" techniques that preceded some new automated feature or tool for times when I need more control. There are DVD's too although I have never used them. I am sorry she has not released more current editions. I would recommend taking a look at her books in the library or good book store and decide for yourself.

http://www.photoshopdiva.com/books.html

Other Good Resources:

http://johnpaulcaponigro.com/

http://www.creativepro.com/topic/photography/image-editing?page=1

http://layersmagazine.com/category/photoshop

http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html

There are tons more but unfortunately I am in the process of changing drives and upgrades on my primary system and I have not moved/merged my bookmarks as yet.
Title: Re: Recommended Processing Tutorials?
Post by: robertvine on January 17, 2015, 06:04:44 pm
I'm deep into the Sean Bagshaw videos right now and getting some great results but my brain hurts! Thanks for the input and keep em coming - I'll have a look at some more once I get the hang of luminosity masks.