Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Phil Indeblanc on December 15, 2014, 11:39:02 pm
-
I need to mount prints on black core, but not foamcore, as they will be longer time and some larger sizes. I have experience with foamcore and it does bow.
So another lightweight I think is the Gator board, or Gatorfoam.
This is an art project with no financial gain, so it will be money from my pocket and a couple others.
Any suggestions where to get such material, or something lightweight and rigid?
Much thanks!
-
I think I have to stick with Gatorboard. That Gfoam is expensive on that site, and perhaps overkill for this project. Regardless, thanks!
Its about $20 a sheet of 4x8 for gatorboard. I know some folks get it for much less. Was hoping for such a source.
I'm no no way a "master printer", but I can get a file looking very nice even upsizing to a 24x36. But this take time, patients and practice, in particular with an inferior file.
Simply put, the pieces are not going to be that high quality level to put on Gfoam. There is a lot to cover, and they need it fast, under budget, and its indoors expecting for a 10 year or so durability.
-
http://www.foamcoreheaven.com/gatorboard.html
-
You might also check out mighty core. I buy from a local vendor and recommend you do the same. Shipping kills on this due to the size. There are also other media types you can get from Home Depot or similar which are inexpensive.
-
One of the mounters wanted me to supply the boards.
Otherwise I'm getting mounting with material prices from $3 to $7 per sqft on the 3/16" black core gatorboard. I guess that is typical, from low to double or more :-/
?
-
I'm having the shop that quoted me $3 do the work. I didn't realize that Gatorfoam is the same thing as Gatorboard. They both have foam in it.
Yes, thanks about Mighty Core Justan. The shop mentioned it, but he said he wasn't sure about long term use.
I didn't realize the Gatorfoam board for 3/16" is $48 a sheet if you buy in packs.
Its at least light and will last many years without shape changing.
I wonder if there is any type of sealing paint that is black that one might be able to use around the edges on regular foam core. This way it would seal out any moisture and prevent it from warping, and get a nice black finish(vs the lighter charcoal black the Gator has).
-
You can use black edge banding (http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H9839-50%2527-Melamine-Banding/dp/B000M66VBE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1419170020&sr=8-2&keywords=black+edge+banding) and apply with a hot iron to the outside edges of your gatorboards
-
That's not a bad idea for some of them. But I'm realizing, that it is a lot of work even if I find it in 3/16 width.
If I could edge up each piece with isolating just the sides on a table, I can apply something that the board can make up the edge, if I brush on or roll on it would be easier and cleaner. But for a few pices, that stuff maybe good to do it with. Worth a try perhaps. Thanks
I bet they have brushed alum look, which would be nice as well