Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: David Eckels on December 15, 2014, 01:18:25 pm

Title: Peyote Dream
Post by: David Eckels on December 15, 2014, 01:18:25 pm
A little experimentation with negative clarity.
Title: Re: Peyote Dream
Post by: stamper on December 16, 2014, 03:38:29 am
It is worth experimenting with negative clarity. Overall I like the image except the middle ground looks a little too sharp on my monitor.
Title: Re: Peyote Dream
Post by: shawnino on December 27, 2014, 11:01:06 am
It is worth experimenting with negative clarity. Overall I like the image except the middle ground looks a little too sharp on my monitor.

Mine too--but I wonder if that's the point, part of it being much sharper than the rest to add to the overall "what-is-this-exactly" feel.

I really like the image.
Title: Re: Peyote Dream
Post by: RSL on December 27, 2014, 01:12:34 pm
It looks like a fine shot, David. What does it look like as a photograph instead of a test of negative clarity?
Title: Re: Peyote Dream
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 27, 2014, 01:35:53 pm
There is a reason it is called "negative"  :P
Title: Re: Peyote Dream
Post by: pcgpcg on December 27, 2014, 02:04:13 pm
What does it look like as a photograph instead of a test of negative clarity?
Probably no longer a peyote dream. :)
Title: Re: Peyote Dream
Post by: David Eckels on December 28, 2014, 11:38:24 am
I re-did this because of your comments and also because I felt the negative clarity in the f/g was somewhat overdone. There is no negative clarity applied to this image in the f/g in version II. Otherwise, very similar treatment in the rest of the image. The weather was truly remarkable, but this was a blend of multiple exposures to bring in the sunrise highlights left of frame. I think the Peyote Dream title came from the sense I had of the original image, perhaps due to the combination of some high contrast areas yet the flat light. In the OP, I think I went with that sense and even without Slobodan's :P I would have backed off in the fine tuning ;)
What a fabulous place and time to have been able to shoot!
Happy new year to all!
Title: Re: Peyote Dream
Post by: RSL on December 28, 2014, 11:46:22 am
Very nice, David. The sky over the mountains was patting you on the back for being there at that moment.
Title: Re: Peyote Dream
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 28, 2014, 01:37:55 pm
Yes, beautiful moment, nicely captured.