Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: felix5616 on December 15, 2014, 11:43:05 am
-
I have prevoiusly used Behr paint, a formula that was designed as neutral gray. The tints are no longer available due to mandated paint formula changes. Anyone have a new formula that they a using?
-
Probably called a slate now.
I'd just take a 18% gray card into the paint dealer and let them color-match it with their analyzer.
SG
-
The only way to insure it’s neutral is to measure it. GTI makes a paint they say is spectrally neutral.
http://www.gtilite.com/accessories-ca.htm
Standard Gray Neutral 7 Vinyl Latex
Standard Gray Neutral 7 is a water-reducible vinyl latex for use in color viewing areas which require Munsell N7/ gray surround as specified by ASTM D1729-2009. Available in gallons or pints.
-
I took my Macbeth Color Checker into Menard's and they sampled the mid-tone gray, mixed me up 3 gallons of very neutral gray paint. Was it $90 per gallon (http://www.rpimaging.com/store/manufacturers/gti/munsell-neutral-gray-paint.html)? No, but it wasn't ISO 3664:2000 compliant either.
-
For future ref, you can use a ColorMunki to check the color. :-)
-
I'd just take a 18% gray card into the paint dealer and let them color-match it with their analyzer.
I think this would be much too dark. I would definitely NOT want a room painted in 18% grey.
What you want is something lighter but still neutral. I purchased a Munsell N8 reference sheet, then took it to my local Home Depot where they color-matched it with Behr paint (flat). I don't remember the pigment mix they came up with, but this paint works really well on my print evaluation wall.
Dave
-
I think this would be much too dark. I would definitely NOT want a room painted in 18% grey.
It's fine.
(http://www.chrisbrownphoto.com/galleries/images/eBay_Items/Howtek_02.jpg)
-
It's fine.
(http://www.chrisbrownphoto.com/galleries/images/eBay_Items/Howtek_02.jpg)
But depressingly drab. It does get to you after a while, if you are working in the same space five days a week. Really, go for neutral in a lighter tonal value.
Brian A