Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Roberto Frieri on December 14, 2014, 03:41:05 am

Title: Glossy fine art paper: suggestion needed, please
Post by: Roberto Frieri on December 14, 2014, 03:41:05 am
Hi to you all,
I'm finishing a photographic project and I'm searching for the right fine art paper for printing my images.
The project have to do with glasses/windows and reflections, therefore I would like to print the images on an inkjet-paper that could best reproduce the feeling of standing in front of a shop window, for example.
I generally use matte or baryta papers, so I'm not familiar with the various glossy papers available on the market.
At present I'm oriented toward a photo lustre paper, such as the Canson Photo Lustre Premium RC, but any suggestions or advice would be great.
Thank you in advance.
Title: Re: Glossy fine art paper: suggestion needed, please
Post by: Jager on December 14, 2014, 08:00:31 am
If you're using Baryta papers you're already using glossy, albeit those having more of a luster-type surface (which sounds like what you're looking for).

Canson's Baryta Photographique and Platine Rag (which, despite its name, is a glossy-type paper) are both lovely papers...


Title: Re: Glossy fine art paper: suggestion needed, please
Post by: Tim Lookingbill on December 14, 2014, 12:31:54 pm
You might look into white film like this...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/544974-REG/Pictorico_PICT35001_Pictorico_Pro_Hi_Gloss_White.html

This one I believe has OBAs if that's a problem. There might be other brands without OBAs.
Title: Re: Glossy fine art paper: suggestion needed, please
Post by: Roberto Frieri on December 14, 2014, 03:40:44 pm
If you're using Baryta papers you're already using glossy, albeit those having more of a luster-type surface (which sounds like what you're looking for).
Canson's Baryta Photographique and Platine Rag (which, despite its name, is a glossy-type paper) are both lovely papers...
Thak you Jager.
Yes, I use baryta papers such as Canson Baryta Photographique and Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, but they're not so glossy as I need.

I love Harman by Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta. The gloss has a depth to it that appeals to me. The one downside is the paper will buckle if hung unmounted - at least in my experience.
Thank you Sharon.
I've just found an italian dealer of Harman products: well, Gloss Baryta does not seem too expensive after all.
Maybe I'll give it a try.

You might look into white film like this...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/544974-REG/Pictorico_PICT35001_Pictorico_Pro_Hi_Gloss_White.html
This one I believe has OBAs if that's a problem. There might be other brands without OBAs.
Thank you Tim.
I'm searching on-line for more informations and details about Pictorico products: they really seem to be very interesting.
Title: Re: Glossy fine art paper: suggestion needed, please
Post by: hugowolf on December 14, 2014, 05:37:31 pm
... and Platine Rag (which, despite its name, is a glossy-type paper) are both lovely papers...

The term 'rag' is used to denote papers made from cotton. It has nothing to do with the surface: matte, glossy, or otherwise. I doubt much cotton (or linen) paper is made from recycled rags nowadays, but it was almost totally in the past.

Brian A
Title: Re: Glossy fine art paper: suggestion needed, please
Post by: Roberto Frieri on December 16, 2014, 04:02:57 am
...The film is shinier, more reflecting...
Yes, that's what I'm searching for, I think.
But I've never printed on transparency film...  :(
Title: Re: Glossy fine art paper: suggestion needed, please
Post by: howardm on December 16, 2014, 07:17:33 am
well, it's not technically transparency film but if you're interestedin that sort of thing, you should at least give it a try.

I think it prints like others although it benefits from careful handling to prevent scratches.

Also, if you want a *paper*, try .........

http://www.canson-infinity.com/en/hgloss315.asp
Title: Re: Glossy fine art paper: suggestion needed, please
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on December 16, 2014, 07:57:50 am
well, it's not technically transparency film but if you're interestedin that sort of thing, you should at least give it a try.

I think it prints like others although it benefits from careful handling to prevent scratches.

Also, if you want a *paper*, try .........

http://www.canson-infinity.com/en/hgloss315.asp

Both have OBA content and the paper has most in the inkjet coating. For fine art a risk.

BTW the Canson comes from the Felix Schoeller stable, search for Beluga High Gloss 315 inkjet and you will find other distributors of that quality.


Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Title: Re: Glossy fine art paper: suggestion needed, please
Post by: Roberto Frieri on December 16, 2014, 09:14:46 am
Hi Howard and Ernst,
many thanks for your kind and precious advices!

Title: Re: Glossy fine art paper: suggestion needed, please
Post by: PeterAit on December 16, 2014, 09:24:53 am
Give Moab Slickrock Pearl a try - glossiest fine art inkjet paper I have seen.
Title: Re: Glossy fine art paper: suggestion needed, please
Post by: Roberto Frieri on December 16, 2014, 04:37:17 pm
Give Moab Slickrock Pearl a try - glossiest fine art inkjet paper I have seen.
Ok, I'll do that.
Thank you Peter.
Title: Re: Glossy fine art paper: suggestion needed, please
Post by: Roberto Frieri on January 13, 2015, 03:32:50 pm
My tests, as suggested: Pictorico Hi-Gloss White Film, Harman Gloss Baryta (Warmtone), MOAB Slickrock Metallic Pearl.
Title: Re: Glossy fine art paper: suggestion needed, please
Post by: Tim Lookingbill on January 13, 2015, 04:52:00 pm
Thanks for the work you put into shooting and posting your results, Roberto.

Which do you prefer?

What light did you use to view them under and did you see any odd color distortions or artifacts reacting with the light? Did each look different under various light sources such as daylight (from a window) vs artificial?

Any OBA issues? Bronzing? Any shine inconsistencies between areas of low and high ink density coverage?

Thanks again for your valued information.
Title: Re: Glossy fine art paper: suggestion needed, please
Post by: bill t. on January 13, 2015, 05:21:08 pm
If you want store-window-to-the-max think about facemounting on ordinary, reflective plex.  The right physical presentation could reinforce the concept.

For fun google "store window picture frame".

PS I recently saw some examples of a new facemounting plex from TruVue with an anti-reflective property.  Wow!  Never before has the print surface been so not there.  The only reflections were the brightest parts of spotlights if you got your head in the right place to see them.
Title: Re: Glossy fine art paper: suggestion needed, please
Post by: Phil Indeblanc on January 13, 2015, 07:43:09 pm
I was going to suggest Film or Metaallic paper also. Although I think its very hard to show the result of depth with a static image online with surface and light reactions.

Tim asked a good question, as I made a print last night on Lexjet metallicSunset, I see a slight tint of green. It maybe my light and will have to check again, but it is something I thought of when Tim asked.

The film would be a great media as it has this dimentional depth and B&W with a slight sepia tint look really good on it.
Title: Re: Glossy fine art paper: suggestion needed, please
Post by: Tim Lookingbill on January 14, 2015, 09:27:28 pm
Wonder if printing on film reduces hairline cracks in the ink produced after bending a corner of the substrate as was demonstrated in an online review of polycoated glossy inkjet paper similar to what's used on Fuji DryLabs at Walgreens.

The color gamut of these polycoated glossy papers is dazzling but I saw the cracking in the polycoating for myself printing some 4x6 tests on FujiFilm Quality Dry Photo paper off my Walgreen's Fuji Frontier DryLab. That paper was quite thin and I would think larger, heavier weight paper would help in preventing severe bending and thus reduce the cracking.

Of course 4x6 prints get handled more often than frame sized paper behind glass.
Title: Re: Glossy fine art paper: suggestion needed, please
Post by: bill t. on January 14, 2015, 10:31:41 pm
Bending most fine art papers around corners is easy if you first glue the print to the major plane of the substrate, then brush a thin solution of glue in water over the still-exposed paper base wings from the back, let that soak in to soften the paper, then apply heavier glue also with a brush, let than get slightly tacky, and start wrapping.  I'm simplifying just a little, but it works starting with your third attempt.  Be sure to slightly sand down the sharp edges on the substrate before anything, but not as much as you see on canvas stretcher bars.  If your print is varnished do this within a day or less of varnishing.  Without the water softening step, it's cracks for sure.
Title: Re: Glossy fine art paper: suggestion needed, please
Post by: Roberto Frieri on January 15, 2015, 03:29:39 pm
Which do you prefer?
Pictorico Hi-Gloss White Film is a really interesting media: effectively neutral under different light sources (in my modest opinion), with characteristic response under direct lighting.
However I've printed the portfolio (20 prints) on Harman Gloss Baryta Warmtone: 320 gsm, 100% alpha-cellulose.
It is much difficult to evaluate the result on Moab Slickrock Metallic Pearl: I really don't like the color variations that appears viewing the prints from different angles (metameric failure?).

What light did you use to view them under...
Ottlite natural daylight lamp (5000 k), daylight at different hours of the day, artificial (incandescent and halogen).
With no hurry... ;-)

...Any shine inconsistencies between areas of low and high ink density coverage?
Well, no, I don't think.
Title: Re: Glossy fine art paper: suggestion needed, please
Post by: Roberto Frieri on January 15, 2015, 03:41:16 pm
If you want store-window-to-the-max think about facemounting on ordinary, reflective plex.  The right physical presentation could reinforce the concept.
Thanks Bill for your opinion.
I agree with you.
Title: Re: Glossy fine art paper: suggestion needed, please
Post by: Phil Indeblanc on January 15, 2015, 04:08:10 pm
As far as the Metallic, in case its an option, it was the fluorescent light that caused the green tint. It is very nutral, and very nice. You asking for fine art, I would think about the archival qualities if that is something to consider.

You can also print on Backlit film like OCE, or HP, Epson, they each have their flavors. They look great in the right application/usage/image.