Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: armand on December 11, 2014, 10:05:05 pm

Title: Iced
Post by: armand on December 11, 2014, 10:05:05 pm
from today's walk
Title: Re: Iced
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 11, 2014, 11:57:24 pm
Nice set. I like the second and last best.
Title: Re: Iced
Post by: francois on December 12, 2014, 04:31:55 am
Nice set. I like the second and last best.


I prefer the first two photos with leaves frozen in place. The other two images with fractured ice are interesting too and as a set they [all four] work perfectly.
Title: Re: Iced
Post by: Bruce Cox on December 12, 2014, 09:01:59 am
I vote for #2, though I enjoyed them all.
Title: Re: Iced
Post by: armand on December 12, 2014, 10:38:51 am
Thank you.
One thing I'm starting to notice is that in the northern hemisphere in the winter the sun is so low that you can get decent light much longer, particularly combined with a high DR sensor.

It's interesting I'm realizing this now, after I lived around this parallel for 30+ years.
Title: Re: Iced
Post by: muntanela on December 14, 2014, 05:18:44 pm
I prefer the second one, it has a better light and methink  8)  (I’m laboriously reading Thoreau) less out of focus areas.  Was the camera parallel to the subjects?
Title: Re: Iced
Post by: armand on December 14, 2014, 06:23:15 pm
I prefer the second one, it has a better light and methink  8)  (I’m laboriously reading Thoreau) less out of focus areas.  Was the camera parallel to the subjects?

I was trying but it was handheld. I think I got better towards the end as I was using liveview and holding the camera from the sides kind of letting balance on its own. Shutter speed was ok so I could afford less stability.

Even with the current tripods that I'm using would have been a little difficult; I guess for these shots I need to resurrect my old Manfrotto with a center column which can become horizontal.

PS. DOF was narrowish, the first two are shot at 180 mm from a meter or so away