Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: raminolta on December 03, 2014, 08:01:39 pm

Title: Epson 7900 (& other large format's): Refillable cartridges and Third Party Ink?
Post by: raminolta on December 03, 2014, 08:01:39 pm
Hello,
  I have the chance to buy an Epson 7900 for relatively inexpensive price, only that no ink is left in the printer. The owner says they did a print-head cleaning about a month ago and that finished the ink in the printer. I assume the printer should hopefully last a month without being used.

  I notice a set of medium sized (350mm) ink cartridges runs for about $1500. On the other hand, I see there are refillable cartridges and third party ink for this printer. A complete set (including cartridges, chip re-setter and 500ml ink bottles) costs about $600 which is much more affordable.
  I am only a hobbyist and I don't care the 200 years of archival longevity claimed with OEM inks. I don't think I will end up selling any prints anyway, it's just for my own pleasure and obviously, the printer is no longer under warranty (not worrying about third party stuff voiding the warranty) My questions are: has anyone here used third party inks for Epson large format printers? If so, what are their experience in regards to longevity (a few years?) and, output quality? Do third party inks increase the risk of head clogging or other printer problems from their experience?

  Thanks.
 
Title: Re: Epson 7900 (& other large format's): Refillable cartridges and Third Party Ink?
Post by: tastar on December 04, 2014, 07:43:24 am
I wouldn't buy it without doing a nozzle check to assure that the head is OK - even if it means buying a cartridge or two that it might need to do the check. An Epson 7900 with a bad print head is worthless.

Tony
Title: Re: Epson 7900 (& other large format's): Refillable cartridges and Third Party Ink?
Post by: crwoo on December 04, 2014, 09:40:22 am
My understanding is epson printers aren't the best once the heads get clogged. If it has been standing for half a year or so you can expect the heads to be clogged.. especially without ink.

did you know for most refillable cartridges you still need genuine chips? another point to consider, if you use refillable inks and don't use often, that could also cause problems. the OEM cartridges have a bag with the ink in them with no air. Refillable cartridges have air in in the ink vessel, and that could potentially dry and cause clogs if you don't use the printer a lot.
Title: Re: Epson 7900 (& other large format's): Refillable cartridges and Third Party Ink?
Post by: John Caldwell on December 04, 2014, 12:10:50 pm
If buying an OEM ink set is out of the question in terms of cost, buying an out-of-warranty 7900 that's had only occasional use is out of the question, in my mind.

John Caldwell
Title: Re: Epson 7900 (& other large format's): Refillable cartridges and Third Party Ink?
Post by: raminolta on December 07, 2014, 01:05:58 pm
Thanks for the reply. To my dismay, apparently, the newer 7900/9900 are more notorious in regards to printhead problems than the previous models.