Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Paul Gessler on November 29, 2014, 03:52:50 pm
-
AT&T 220 Building, Downtown Indianapolis
(https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10724484/MDPC/_DSC4710.jpg) (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10724484/MDPC/_DSC4710.jpg)
-
Any comments on this one? I'm trying to continuously improve my work: comments/criticisms on composition, technique, post-processing, etc are all more than welcome.
I like trying interesting perspectives on certain buildings like this one: its exterior design is very clean/plain and repetitive/geometric. But I'm not sure if I took it too far on this shot.
Is the image visible? Someone told me there were problems with another of my posts, but I can see my image just fine when logged in or out and on multiple machines and also other forums. Thanks in advance for any feedback. :)
-
You successfully demonstrated one "rule" of architectural photography: with skewed perspectives, at least one building edge should be parallel to the image edge.
I am no so sure with the overall tonality of the image... a bit to muted/cyan-ish? That, of course, is highly personal. As for the design, while it is indeed clean, it is also a bit too plain, i.e., bland. In cases like this, I sometimes experiment with different white balances. Or black and white - in this case it might work better, as the color is neither particularly impressive itself, nor appears necessary to underscore your initial intention: design.
-
Thanks for your comments Slobodan. I think you might be right about the color - I was trying to show in the reflections that the clouds were surrounding the building (and I liked the way they blended together at the edges) by using the sky color, but I suspect the same effect could be achieved in B&W using a suitable mix of colors in the conversion.
-
A first attempt at a B&W edit. I think I like it better than the color version. Thoughts?
(https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10724484/MDPC/_DSC4710-Edit.jpg)