Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: Gellman on November 29, 2014, 03:09:54 pm

Title: Suggestion for new forum category
Post by: Gellman on November 29, 2014, 03:09:54 pm
I recently posted a question in the Printing sub-category of these forums about self publishing with print on demand services. I'm referring to Blurb, Lulu, Apple, and other similar online service providers. This is a fast growing topic as more and more photographers are beginning to use these services to publish small run, fast turnaround books. I have found damn few resources available from independent sources that help photographers decide which service to use and how to optimize their output for the best results.

If I want to buy a new camera, there is no shortage of online camera reviews and information that cover anything I would conceivably want to know about almost any camera on the market. If I want to research self publishing print on demand services, there is, well, nothing other than the providers' own websites. Like any other product or service, there are high, middle, and promotional level services available. How is one to determine which is best for a particular project without shotgunning sample orders among the various providers? When it gets down to it, a small sample order would probably be the best predictor of final quality, but short of that, what?

I propose a new sub-category in the Printing: Printers, Papers, and Inks section of the forums. Call it Self Publishing Print On Demand Services or whatever. Are there enough interested photographers who use these forums to warrant a new forum category?
Title: Re: Suggestion for new forum category
Post by: Peter McLennan on November 29, 2014, 03:39:59 pm
Good idea.  My very first book ( blurb) is due back from the printer any day now.  I could have used some info.
Title: Re: Suggestion for new forum category
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 29, 2014, 05:19:04 pm
I'm definitely interested.

I followed the other thread in detail but was disappointed that there was nothing mentioned for PC users. I'm not about to buy a Mac just to publish with Apple, and I have not been impressed with Blurb for serious work.
Title: Re: Suggestion for new forum category
Post by: Kevin Raber on November 29, 2014, 07:14:13 pm
Thanks for the suggestion, Michael and I will be discussing and reviewing forum topics and such over the next few weeks.  We will keep this topic in mind.

Kevin Raber
Title: Re: Suggestion for new forum category
Post by: Rhossydd on November 30, 2014, 01:36:09 pm
I don't think yet another low traffic sub-forum is really needed for this.
The subject fits into the printing forum well enough and there's only a few queries about it each year, most of which can be answered by searching back through the forum anyway.
Title: Re: Suggestion for new forum category
Post by: Gellman on December 02, 2014, 03:18:01 am
Maybe there's only a few queries because there is no category for it, and because the DIY services are just reaching critical mass. Dunno. I think it would be really helpful for people to post about their experiences and evaluations of the various services, as well as technical insight on the best way to optimize images for each service - all in an easy to find section.
Title: Re: Suggestion for new forum category
Post by: Rhossydd on December 02, 2014, 05:19:28 am
Maybe there's only a few queries because there is no category for it
It doesn't tend to work that way. There's been enough discussion over the years here about PoD, but it's really not a big interest field in itself.
Quote
and because the DIY services are just reaching critical mass. Dunno.
You might think it's reached a 'critical mass' because you've just found a need for it, but others have been using PoD for years and it's no new thing.
Quote
I think it would be really helpful for people to post about their experiences and evaluations of the various services, as well as technical insight on the best way to optimize images for each service
If you search through the printing forum you'll find most of your answers already there.