Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: mseawell on November 28, 2014, 02:08:36 pm

Title: Antelope Island
Post by: mseawell on November 28, 2014, 02:08:36 pm
A slightly different perspective and the color version. My wife liked it so here it is!

Mark
Title: Re: Antelope Island
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on November 28, 2014, 02:26:48 pm
Splendid, and in my view, much better than your b&w version.
Title: Re: Antelope Island
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 28, 2014, 02:33:04 pm
That one is very nice, too. Now I'm not sure which I prefer.
Title: Re: Antelope Island
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on November 28, 2014, 08:40:12 pm
Very dramatic image and very nice too  :)

Mark, may I ask if you have used or applied a software filter/tool onto this image and if so can I ask which one? It's just that it also has a very smooth sort of polished look to it, which I also like  :)

Dave
Title: Re: Antelope Island
Post by: mseawell on November 28, 2014, 10:06:18 pm
Sure! I used LR 5.7/DFINE from NIKS to clean it. VIV followed by the low-key filter in ColorEFeX. Polished it again in Lightroom and that was all she wrote.
Title: Re: Antelope Island
Post by: luxborealis on November 29, 2014, 07:59:39 am
Stunning! Such warmth on what appears to be a blustery day. Beautiful colour palette. I agree with Rajan - better than the black-and-white. In particular, the bright area in the top left has not bled to near white - there is beautiful detail there. Definitely one "for the wall" (and I don't mean Facebook!)

While the photograph could be hung as is, have you considered cropping a bit off the bottom so that the aspect ratio more closely matches the long beautiful sweeping lines across the photograph? Either that or tone down the detail in the foreground by a ½ stop or so. It's just bright enough now to be ever so slightly distracting (to me, anyway). It may not be noticed right away, but after looking at the photograph for a while it becomes so.

Also, on the theme of longevity, you may consider bringing up the shadow values in the mid-ground clumps of shrubs(?) that extend to the right. Again, it works as is, but these might be areas that begin to "wear" if one is looking at the photograph on the wall for months/years.
Title: Re: Antelope Island
Post by: sdwilsonsct on November 29, 2014, 05:17:08 pm
Both excellent but the naturalness of the colour version is a bonus for me.
Title: Re: Antelope Island
Post by: shotworldwide on November 29, 2014, 05:58:09 pm
Nice shot & beautiful colors Mark. i would not convert this image to B&W.

Regards, Filip

-----------------------------
http://shotworldwide.com
Title: Re: Antelope Island
Post by: rgs on November 30, 2014, 04:16:04 pm
Magnificent. Just gorgeous. And here's another voice for cropping a bit from the bottom.
Title: Re: Antelope Island
Post by: mseawell on November 30, 2014, 10:50:01 pm
Thanks for all the comments on this capture! I actually have cropped the bottom and it did give it some more power. I have some different angles of the amazing light that day but haven't really had the opportunity to process (our children flew in for Thanksgiving and the last one departed today) so I'm hoping to get a chance. Again, SINCERE thanks for all the comments and suggestions for making this better. That is why I like posting here. Always good for other eyes to see and make you consider something you missed!

Mark
Title: Re: Antelope Island
Post by: maddogmurph on December 03, 2014, 12:37:40 pm
The minimal color change and it's smooth transitions and contrasts lend to this one being in color.
Title: Re: Antelope Island
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on February 12, 2015, 11:20:44 am
Just got an email from Outdoor Photographer. Congrats, Mark, on being the first featured contender!
Title: Re: Antelope Island
Post by: James Clark on February 12, 2015, 05:59:46 pm
Just got an email from Outdoor Photographer. Congrats, Mark, on being the first featured contender!

I was just coming here to post the exact same thing.  ;)
Title: Re: Antelope Island
Post by: Jeevz on February 13, 2015, 05:28:55 am
Wow this is a beautiful image.  Amazing light.

Nice shot.
Title: Re: Antelope Island
Post by: Bob_B on February 13, 2015, 08:56:18 am
I was just coming here to post the exact same thing.  ;)

Congrats. What a marvelous photo! (I keep mumbling something about not being worthy. :)
Title: Re: Antelope Island
Post by: lorenzettifoto on February 13, 2015, 10:01:26 am
absolutely gorgeous
Title: Re: Antelope Island
Post by: patrick love on February 18, 2015, 08:30:03 am
To me, this is a very subtle image... not a show stopper.  Great light on the mountains and I like the way the trees bring you in from the left.  Not overly flashy, but it works hard to be a strong image!
Title: Re: Antelope Island
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on February 18, 2015, 11:22:47 am
Wonderful.