Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: dreed on November 24, 2014, 01:48:32 am

Title: Samsung NX-1 First Impressions
Post by: dreed on November 24, 2014, 01:48:32 am
Very interesting review.

The camera appears to hit a home run in every department except for Samsung not bundling the battery recharger.

And having seen the images included, I'll be very interested to see how it tests at DxO but for now let me say this:

I'm not buying another camera with a CMOS sensor unless it is using BSI.

... but what if X brings out a new camera with Y MP that has awesome new feature Z?

If it doesn't have a BSI sensor then the sensor is obsolete and digital cameras are technology devices and technology moves at a rapid pace. BSI quite clearly obsoletes everything before it and I'm not into buying technology that is obsolete.
Title: Re: Samsung NX-1 First Impressions
Post by: bokehcambodia on November 24, 2014, 04:55:07 am
Samsung really put all their latest tech into this camera AND it handles fine; currently the video codec is hard to work with, but that just shows how bleeding-edge Samsung wanted this camera  to be; there is nothing 'wrong'/missing from this camera so first time DSLR/ILC buyers will hopefully take note;

Regarding Michael's note on the missing charger, i think it was done to keep the costs as low as possible to go to market for under $1500;
And note that the NX1 sells also as a bundle with the 16-50mm f/2-2.8 S ED OIS lens, Lightroom, 2x batteries, battery charger AND grip for $2800;
Title: Re: Samsung NX-1 First Impressions
Post by: dreed on November 24, 2014, 05:54:41 am
Regarding Michael's note on the missing charger, i think it was done to keep the costs as low as possible to go to market for under $1500;
And note that the NX1 sells also as a bundle with the 16-50mm f/2-2.8 S ED OIS lens, Lightroom, 2x batteries, battery charger AND grip for $2800;

So to keep the price point correct, unbundle the charger and bundle LR instead? Interesting move.

There is one part of the USB charging that I'm curious about: can you shoot all day with it tethered via a USB cable to a computer (from which it can not only draw power but recharge) or does it still need an external (DC) power supply/battery change for something like that?
Title: Re: Samsung NX-1 First Impressions
Post by: MarkL on November 24, 2014, 08:07:51 am
This is very encouraging and is really what the camera industry needs to happy to shake it up. I'm fed up of Canon and Nikon's tiny tweaks with slightly improved sensors each time.
Title: Re: Samsung NX-1 First Impressions
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on November 24, 2014, 08:16:55 am
There is one part of the USB charging that I'm curious about: can you shoot all day with it tethered via a USB cable to a computer (from which it can not only draw power but recharge) or does it still need an external (DC) power supply/battery change for something like that?
Good question.  I know the Samsung Tablet I have (I also have a Sammy Android phone that has a great display) will not charge via the computer USB; only will do file transfers.
Title: Re: Samsung NX-1 First Impressions
Post by: deejjjaaaa on November 24, 2014, 02:45:47 pm
I'm not buying another camera with a CMOS sensor unless it is using BSI.
why stop there ? please do commit not to buy anything till it gets global shutter, full spectrum capture at each sensel spot surface-wise and lytro style post capture focus capabilities...
Title: Re: Samsung NX-1 First Impressions
Post by: dreed on November 24, 2014, 03:51:32 pm
why stop there ? please do commit not to buy anything till it gets global shutter, full spectrum capture at each sensel spot surface-wise and lytro style post capture focus capabilities...

Well if a camera arrives in the next 12 months with one or more of those features with a BSI sensor, that would be perfect :)

But why be so cynical? For hobbyists like myself digital cameras are a luxury item. Therefore on a personal level I exercise some amount of diligence and care before handing over thousands of dollars to manufacturers for new equipment.

Everyone is different. Some can afford the newest and latest digital camera every year. I don't begrudge them for it nor do I envy it. But similarly, just because they do (or can) doesn't mean I should and likewise just because I view the BSI technology as being a landmark feature doesn't mean you or others need to. Make up your own mind about what's important to you just as I have mine.
Title: Re: Samsung NX-1 First Impressions
Post by: Telecaster on November 24, 2014, 03:56:04 pm
why stop there? please do commit not to buy anything till it gets global shutter, full spectrum capture at each sensel spot surface-wise and lytro style post capture focus capabilities...

Great idea…think I'll get rid of all my electronic cameras and go film-only 'til these technologies are implemented & refined. 100mp minimum too!  ;)

Seriously, the Samsung has an impressive features list. I'm not buying—the last thing I need is another camera system—but I'll keep my eye on it. Rumor has it there'll be a monochrome NX camera too before long, though not using the NX-1's sensor.

-Dave-
Title: Re: Samsung NX-1 First Impressions
Post by: deejjjaaaa on November 24, 2014, 04:12:47 pm
I view the BSI technology as being a landmark feature
well - what is the consumer (that it anything non scientific/military/industrial/automotive/security - just something that pro and amateurs are using) camera with the biggest BSI sensor and did that camera disrupt anything ?
Title: Re: Samsung NX-1 First Impressions
Post by: jwstl on November 24, 2014, 05:21:39 pm
I've been using an NX30 as a small, mostly for travel camera for a number of months and I've been very happy with it. The pancake lenses from Samsung are good with the 30 f/2 being considerably better than good. I also have the 16-50 2/2.8 and the 85 1.4 and both are great. However, my favorite of the Samsung lenses might be the 60 Macro. It's a bit too large and I'd like more woking distance, but the results are outstanding. Samyang/Rokinon makes lenses in the NX mount with the 12mm being a fabulous lens at a good price. It's MF only but I don't need AF the way I use this lens.
Title: My NX1/16-50/2-2.8-plus kit will arrive tomorrow the 25th
Post by: jeffreybehr on November 24, 2014, 05:23:19 pm
IF IF IF the body is the right size--that is, if it accommodates all three of my fingers--and IF its IQ is at least as good as that of my 24MP Sony-a99/Zony-lenses system, I'll keep the NX1 and order a 12mm/F2 (all-manual) Samyang prime and a 50-200 Samsung telezoom.  I was quite happy with the latter on an NX20 I had a few years ago, so we'll see.

FWIW, the principle reason I'm going back to Samsung is weight, as in lots less for this chubby old fart to carry.  For instance, the body and '24-70' is 0.6 pounds lighter than my Sony a99/24-70, and the body and three lenses weigh 3.7 pounds less.  :-)

And I too loved the 60mm macro I had and probably will buy another.
Title: Re: Samsung NX-1 First Impressions
Post by: BernardLanguillier on November 24, 2014, 05:25:59 pm
My view is that Samsung is not trying to convert Canon/Nikon shooters with this iteration as much as they are targeting the Asian growth countries (India,...) where the Samsung brand is already seen as high end. Like it or not, that's where the action is happening.

But still, it appears to be a very challenging competitor to the 7DII... and Nikon simply has nothing to oppose to it at the moment... which means that they will release a NX1 competitor and not just merely a 7DII competitor... competition is great and Samsung will indirectly contribute to an acceleration of the value delivery of our existing set of lenses!

Now, the real question is what happens with the NX2...

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Samsung NX-1 First Impressions
Post by: bokehcambodia on November 24, 2014, 09:05:27 pm
Agree with Bernard, the Samsung brand is big in Asian countries (and well represented, displayed) and presents a great step-up camera from all the SS smartphone users. Beginners/new entries to the 'hobby' of photography are not tied to any brand, and might take on the NX1 as their first 'real' camera. For pros to jump ship the system is way too young and missing key lenses, but as a second camera for 4K it definitely sounds enticing.
Title: Re: Samsung NX-1 First Impressions
Post by: LesPalenik on November 27, 2014, 01:01:15 pm
dp has just published a video (including stills) on a shooting outing with NX1. Seems like a very good camera indeed.
Nice pictures of flowing water, some even with swimming fish, and they are all exceptionally clear and crisp - unlike the many blurry water images we have seen here taken by other cameras.
Title: Re: Samsung NX-1 First Impressions
Post by: AlfSollund on November 27, 2014, 03:41:55 pm
Thanks for review, well and informative written,


..but was it fun to use the camera, did it make the day a photography pleasure?  A hobbyamateurist (me) asking the most important question.
Title: Re: Samsung NX-1 First Impressions
Post by: Telecaster on November 27, 2014, 04:20:34 pm
dp has just published a video (including stills) on a shooting outing with NX1. Seems like a very good camera indeed.
Nice pictures of flowing water, some even with swimming fish, and they are all exceptionally clear and crisp - unlike the many blurry water images we have seen here taken by other cameras.

Darn all those other cameras with their shutters stuck at >1 sec. with 10-stop ND filters soldered onto their lenses!   :)

-Dave-
Title: Re: Samsung NX-1 First Impressions
Post by: LesPalenik on November 27, 2014, 04:33:50 pm
Thanks for providing the explanation, Dave. For a long time, I suspected something dark behind it. However, those artists always claim capturing the scene exactly as seen with their eyes.
Title: Re: Samsung NX-1 First Impressions
Post by: LKaven on November 28, 2014, 06:40:17 am
It is worth mentioning again that the NX-1 derives each video frame from a full 28MP readout of the sensor.  To my eye, when viewed at HD1080, this camera produces the best-looking HD1080 output I've ever seen.  The level of fine detail retention is unmatched.  At 1080HD, it blows every Canon DSLR away, and makes the 5DIII look like a blurry line-skipping toy. 

For critical work, I am looking for an update that would provide 10 bit 4:2:2 through HDMI-out.  If and when that happens, you might see a few cinematographers and DPs adopt this camera as a part of their arsenal. 
Title: Re: Samsung NX-1 First Impressions
Post by: ErikKaffehr on November 28, 2014, 01:04:47 pm
Hi,

Nice to have a new piece of innovation!

Best regards
Erik

It is worth mentioning again that the NX-1 derives each video frame from a full 28MP readout of the sensor.  To my eye, when viewed at HD1080, this camera produces the best-looking HD1080 output I've ever seen.  The level of fine detail retention is unmatched.  At 1080HD, it blows every Canon DSLR away, and makes the 5DIII look like a blurry line-skipping toy. 

For critical work, I am looking for an update that would provide 10 bit 4:2:2 through HDMI-out.  If and when that happens, you might see a few cinematographers and DPs adopt this camera as a part of their arsenal. 
Title: Re: Samsung NX-1 First Impressions
Post by: Chrisso26 on November 28, 2014, 08:01:17 pm


For critical work, I am looking for an update that would provide 10 bit 4:2:2 through HDMI-out.  If and when that happens, you might see a few cinematographers and DPs adopt this camera as a part of their arsenal. 

It would have to compete with the high quality, flexibility of raw and affordability of Blackmagic's offerings.
Title: Re: Samsung NX-1 First Impressions
Post by: LesPalenik on December 02, 2014, 09:04:54 am
There is a new review of the NX1 camera by Chris and Jordan from Camera Store. Interesting review and it confirms the many qualities of the camera.

Camera Store NX1 Review (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1flm65f2Gy8)
Title: Re: Samsung NX-1 First Impressions
Post by: LKaven on December 02, 2014, 09:36:51 am
It would have to compete with the high quality, flexibility of raw and affordability of Blackmagic's offerings.

Or the "look" of the Alexa.  I had a conversation with Larry McConkey about this last week.  He said that the Alexa certainly doesn't have the resolution, but it has the "look", and that's the most important thing to him.

But I think Samsung has something that can be developed along many lines.  At $1500, it already has the affordability.