Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: clarkjs on November 22, 2014, 10:25:20 am

Title: Epson 9900 jambs when cutting exhibition fiber paper
Post by: clarkjs on November 22, 2014, 10:25:20 am
I have had this printer for 5 years I think. all of a sudden when I am using exhibition fiber paper it jambs up when cutting, i.e. it will not cut through the paper stops about half way through. I just changed the cutter wheel. after running 4 prints it started doing it again.    it does not seem to do it on any of my other papers, canvas, matts. 

 In the printer manual it talks about running the cutter adjustment from the maintenance menu on the control panel. there is no option to print the pattern they discuss on my machine. just cutter adjustment.

any one have any thoughts or issues similar to this?
Title: Re: Epson 9900 jambs when cutting exhibition fiber paper
Post by: hugowolf on November 23, 2014, 08:36:24 pm
Have you actually gone into the maintenance/service menu to try this, or are you going through the user menu?

Turn the printer off. Hold down the Down, Right, Center buttons while turing on the printer.

Brian A
Title: Re: Epson 9900 jambs when cutting exhibition fiber paper
Post by: Ken Doo on November 23, 2014, 11:10:12 pm
By chance---is there any paper curl (however so slight)?  If so, grab the corners of the paper and give gentle pressure downward by gently pulling with steady light pressure---- right after the printer finishes printing but before the cutter starts cutting.

ken  :)
Title: Re: Epson 9900 jambs when cutting exhibition fiber paper
Post by: Kevin Raber on November 24, 2014, 06:50:59 am
I have had the same issues with real heavy paper.  I installed a new blade and no difference.  The paper is just too think and as The cutter progresses the part of the paper already cut begins to fall and pinches the paper and cutter.  In the end I made the paper size over size for the print, Hand cut the paper on the printer and cut/trimmed a straight edge on my 48 inch Rota Trim.  It was worth it in the end because the paper was so nice.  I believe the weight was 360.

Kevin Raber
Title: Re: Epson 9900 jambs when cutting exhibition fiber paper
Post by: davidh202 on November 24, 2014, 10:56:13 pm
 You are correct Ken and Kevin ,

I have noticed that if there is any significant curl (which is common on the heavy papers)  the paper kind of twists as the cutter starts its travel and it will actually be trying to cut the paper at a slight angle to the horizontal travel of the cutter, which causes the jam.
I always pull down on the bottom corners on Ex Fiber before the cutter starts it's travel across to keep it flat against the platten !  
David
Title: Re: Epson 9900 jambs when cutting exhibition fiber paper
Post by: TylerB on November 25, 2014, 01:16:54 am
My 9900 did this on many papers, including Epson papers. Not only were blades replaced but the whole assembly. Thicker papers with curl grab the cutter the more it travels. We and the service tech concluded the drive motor is too weak. He also checked the internal error log. Gets worse toward end of roll, tighter curl. Being at the printer so you can press the paper down flatter during the cut, just beneath the cut line can help it through.