Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: FrankG on November 20, 2014, 09:40:41 pm

Title: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: FrankG on November 20, 2014, 09:40:41 pm
I looked on the aardenburg-imaging page but they dont list tests for the following -

3880 epson printer with ultrachrome inks (w. vivid M)

- epson exhibition Fiber
- ilford gold fiber silk
(& perhaps canson baryta photographique)

Can anyone point me to documentation or a simple statement of their comparitive longevity

Thax
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Mark D Segal on November 20, 2014, 09:52:05 pm
Wilhelm-Research has information on Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, published on their website - not a joy to navigate, but the data is there.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: FrankG on November 20, 2014, 10:12:40 pm
  ??? you're not kidding. How on earth does anyone find anything on that site

I found this (by luck) http://www.wilhelm-research.com/epson/WIR_Ep3880_2010_04_14.pdf
but it only covers Exhibition Fiber & other epson papers.
They rate EEF at a whopping 90-200 yrs optical brighteners and all

Is this the Ilford page you were referring to. No mention of printers/inks.
http://www.wilhelm-research.com/Ilford/WIR_Ilford_2011_07_21.pdf
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Mark D Segal on November 20, 2014, 10:21:44 pm
Keep scrolling. I'm pretty sure you'll find stiff on IGFS.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: FrankG on November 20, 2014, 10:35:42 pm
found and edited a link into previous post
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Geraldo Garcia on November 20, 2014, 11:14:15 pm
Is this the Ilford page you were referring to. No mention of printers/inks.
http://www.wilhelm-research.com/Ilford/WIR_Ilford_2011_07_21.pdf

First paragraph of the PDF linked above: "The image permanence data presented here are based on test samples printed with a Hewlett-Packard Designjet Z3200 printer and 12-color HP Vivera 70 pigment inks."
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on November 21, 2014, 04:01:38 am
I looked on the aardenburg-imaging page but they dont list tests for the following -

3880 epson printer with ultrachrome inks (w. vivid M)

- epson exhibition Fiber
- ilford gold fiber silk
(& perhaps canson baryta photographique)

Can anyone point me to documentation or a simple statement of their comparitive longevity

Thax

The EEF (or EU Epson Traditional Fibre) weakest color in Aardenburg-Imaging fade tests is its paper white so any measured ink patch holds better. For all the tested Epson pigment inks, Ultrachrome up to the 3880 ink set, the yellow ink is the worst and that has not changed for printers above 13" width. Check the EEF tests of other Epson models on the paper white and yellow patch I would say.

The IGFS as distributed by Ilford Imaging until its collapse end of 2013 is replaced by a similar quality with a slightly higher white reflectance probably manufactured by Felix Schoeller. Distributor the new Ilford undertaking with Japanese/Aussie interests. There are now two varieties, one that resembles the old IGFS / Canson Baryta Photographique / Innova IFA69 and more brands, the other the new IGFS / Felix Schoeller J23160 True Baryta / Hahnemühle Photo Silk Baryta / MediaJet PhotoArt White Baryta. The last group has the higher white reflectance. Could be that I observe a moving target and all brands will switch to the higher reflectance type but right now older fade tests may no longer describe the papers that are distributed. The IGFS had a reasonable reputation in fade testing, some OBA content though which is also present in the new version.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
November 2014 update, 680+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: FrankG on November 21, 2014, 08:27:12 am
Thanks for your in-depth reply Ernst.

Admittedly, as a non-expert, much of it goes over my head and I don't find specific col issues (eg yellow) useful for my purpose.

My purpose is to be able to tell someone that receives one of my prints what the expected life of the print is (not exposed to humidity/direct sun) and framed using acid free materials.
I have a 3880 with epson inks and print on currently available (in Toronto) EEF,  Iford GFS,  or Canson Baryta Photographique
So I was looking to ask a reader if they can point me to relevant (simplified) information.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Mark D Segal on November 21, 2014, 08:45:40 am
Thanks for your in-depth reply Ernst.

Admittedly, as a non-expert, much of it goes over my head and I don't find specific col issues (eg yellow) useful for my purpose.

My purpose is to be able to tell someone that receives one of my prints what the expected life of the print is (not exposed to humidity/direct sun) and framed using acid free materials.
I have a 3880 with epson inks and print on currently available (in Toronto) EEF,  Iford GFS,  or Canson Baryta Photographique
So I was looking to ask a reader if they can point me to relevant (simplified) information.

Frank - understood, and not always easy to get simple answers to intricate matters. However, you may be interested to know that on the packaging of the new boxes of Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, there is a circular part of the label that says CERTIFIED-WIR (which is Wilhelm Imaging Research). Then when you read the fine print, it says "Select Ilford Inkjet Papers and HP Pigment Inks". So it could be what I saw on his website relates to HP and not Epson. Then there is a question about what "Certified" means. That is not explained, nor could I find a definition on the WIR website - could be there, but you've seen what the site is like and who has time........Also, one has to assume that if this information is pasted onto an IGFS box, IGFS is one of the "select Ilford Inkjet Papers". Not clear to me that sending them an email asking for a definition and clarification would help much because previous emails I've sent there asking to clarify certain information have never been answered, but that was years ago, and I stopped trying.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: FrankG on November 21, 2014, 09:05:36 am
I'm not disputing anything said but I do find it odd that one cant easily retrieve 'print permanence' info.
I mean the printer (3880) & inks and the 3 papers I mentioned (EEF, GFS & the Canson) have got to be among the more commonly used products. Certainly not obscure.
And all things being equal (no direct sun, humidity & acid free storage or framing materials) we should be able to have a good estimate of a print's longevity.
Can we call it archival ? What does archival mean, practically? 20 years, 50 years, 100 years before fading occurs?
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Mark D Segal on November 21, 2014, 09:31:18 am
The first thing one needs to bear in mind, is that at least in the case of WIR - it's a commercial service. Paper manufacturers pay them to test their papers. So if HP paid for a test they are prepared to release into the public domain and Epson didn't,we would not find published results for Epson inks on IGFS paper. Aardenburg may have some published test results (http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/cgi-bin/mrk/_4777c2hvd19kb2NfbGlzdC80 (http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/cgi-bin/mrk/_4777c2hvd19kb2NfbGlzdC80)) - worth checking. They don't have your exact combination, but others closed that may be "relationally" insightful. Now, the fact that the inkset is considered "archival" and the paper is generally considered "archival", put the two together and perhaps you can call the combination "archival". Burt you ask what "archival" means. Good question. I had always thought it means "at least 100 years before predicted light fading would occur", but there may be more, or other things, to it than that.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on November 21, 2014, 09:51:27 am
IIRC there is some data on IGFS (old type) with Epson Ultrachrome inks with VM for larger format printers.  You can extrapolate this data to the 3880 as there really should be little or no difference.  Remember the weakest color in the Epson set is Yellow so anything that uses Yellow will show fading quicker (flesh tones are a big one here!).  Ernst has noted that the "new" IGFS may be different now that the company is changed and the old test data may not be good for the newer paper.  If other manufacturers switch to higher content OBA papers things will change as well.  We as consumers don't have much input in this other than to use only OBA free papers but even then there can be issues (a couple of years ago Museo ran into problems when they switched paper suppliers). 
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: FrankG on November 21, 2014, 10:04:40 am
excuse my ignorance. What is IIRC.

Since there appears to be no straight answer to my question, for reasons explained, what do you guys think a conservatively safe estimate is for the combos mentioned - allowing for the optical brightners, the issues with yellow etc
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Mark D Segal on November 21, 2014, 10:44:29 am
Clearly, the safest, most conservative estimate would be to look over all the data you can find between Aardenburg and WIR and use the lowest estimate, prefaced with an "at least". And tell your customers there is no warranty because all of this is estimated using predictive testing methodologies - no-one has lived through a cycle of 100 years of inkjet printing to know for sure - not even our barber/hairdresser!  :-)
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: MHMG on November 21, 2014, 12:00:27 pm
I'm not disputing anything said but I do find it odd that one cant easily retrieve 'print permanence' info...

...Can we call it archival ? What does archival mean, practically? 20 years, 50 years, 100 years before fading occurs?


Print permanence testing is labor intensive and requires expensive testing equipment as well. To mention just one of many obstacles impeding this type of research is the fact that neither the WIR funding model nor the Aardenburg funding model are robust enough on their own merits to cover the kind of comprehensive, summarized but not oversimplified, and easy-to-retrieve ;) collection of published information you envision should be readily available to the public. 

Also, add the assumed ease of reprinting digital files at will into this discussion, and the majority of today's digital photographers don't seem to be concerned about print longevity as much as they once were. The whole idea of the "archival" print itself thus appears to have entered "the trough of no value"

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2009/02/the-trough-of-no-value.html


kind regards,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Mark D Segal on November 21, 2014, 12:17:11 pm
I've lived long enough now to see what happened to colour prints made in the 1950s - so I do believe in longevity. Printing is a lot of work, and if we think it may be of interest to our survivors, even within the limits of the family, printing with materials that have reasonably good archival properties remains important, at least to me, and I would expect to others as well. One can't predict at what stage in one's life it becomes important or interesting to look back, and when doing so, one wants to look back at something that has well survived the decades.I don't think this "longevity trough" is forever - there will come a time when enough people wake-up to value what they valued at the outset of this digital revolution, and then the services dealing in print longevity will see more business and be better positioned to look at different financial models from those prevailing now.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: FrankG on November 21, 2014, 12:20:20 pm
I don't think aardenburg or wilhelm should do this entirely at their own expense but would rather expect the paper companies should let their buyers know what to expect of their products
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on November 21, 2014, 12:56:04 pm
@Frank - IIRC = If I Recall Correctly (short form that was used in the early days of Usenet email when we paid by the character.

Also, add the assumed ease of reprinting digital files at will into this discussion, and the majority of today's digital photographers don't seem to be concerned about print longevity as much as they once were. The whole idea of the "archival" print itself thus appears to have entered "the trough of no value"

kind regards,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
Quite correct.  I have a friend who does pretty well selling images.  He only prints on Epson Exhibition Fiber despite the very high levels of OBAs and fast fading.  He likes the paper and is willing to reprint a new version for customers should they become dissatisfied with the print over time.  This is all well and good but what happens when he's no longer around?

If one goes back and looks at the history of 'wet' photography one sees the huge investment of time and effort by the manufacturers of chemicals and paper to come up with better products that improved both processing and permanency.  I remember as a graduate student (chemistry) going down into the library stacks and finding numerous volumes discussing new development formulas, processes for fixing and toning prints.  I'm not sure that there is the same interest on the part of the inkjet paper and hardware companies.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: FrankG on November 21, 2014, 01:24:10 pm
a friend who does pretty well selling images.  He only prints on Epson Exhibition Fiber despite the very high levels of OBAs and fast fading. 

Alan, would you be willing to ask what he has found out about the EEF. And what longevity/permanence rating he tells his buyers?
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: FrankG on November 21, 2014, 02:59:47 pm
Guestimates, not scientific - epson 3880 printer

canson baryta photographique  = 45+ years
reference - http://www.wilhelm-research.com/Canson/WIR_Canson_2012_02_20.pdf

ilford gold fiber silk - 200 yrs & knock off 100 for good measure = 100 years
reference (only hp printer results found, hence halving the result) - http://www.wilhelm-research.com/Ilford/Ilford.html

EEF (epson exhibition fiber) = 90 years
http://www.wilhelm-research.com/epson/WIR_Ep3880_2010_04_14.pdf

Do you concur ?
(additional info welcomed)

Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Mark D Segal on November 21, 2014, 03:06:57 pm
Read ALL of it Frank: there is a stated condition which brings it down to 70 years - so how conservative do you want to be? (The dark storage characteristic is phenomenal). Now this is for HP inks, and there is contention that the HP inks have particularly high archival properties. Higher than Epson?? Perhaps in Yellow??

Now of substantial interest - the final column - they're saying no OBAs in this paper, but Mr. Dinkla and Mr. McCormack-Goodhart have said there are.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: FrankG on November 21, 2014, 03:18:51 pm
granted it is with hp inks, so we can knock off a good % of years cos they may be more archival, but it would still appear to beat out the other 2 papers in any column (glass, no glass, dark etc) no?
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on November 21, 2014, 03:23:37 pm
Alan, would you be willing to ask what he has found out about the EEF. And what longevity/permanence rating he tells his buyers?
He doesn't mention anything about this and I don't think the gallery posts anything.  Most people who buy prints don't seem to care (this is my experience as well but I don't sell a lot of stuff).  I know that the "old" IGFS seems to be pretty stable.  I have a dozen or so prints hanging in my former office where they are subjected to pretty harsh lighting.  I go back every six months or so and the colors still seem to be holding up well.  Same with some prints hanging in several other offices in the area.  Epson 3880 prints.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: MHMG on November 21, 2014, 06:21:23 pm
Guestimates, not scientific - epson 3880 printer

canson baryta photographique  = 45+ years
reference - http://www.wilhelm-research.com/Canson/WIR_Canson_2012_02_20.pdf

ilford gold fiber silk - 200 yrs & knock off 100 for good measure = 100 years
reference (only hp printer results found, hence halving the result) - http://www.wilhelm-research.com/Ilford/Ilford.html

EEF (epson exhibition fiber) = 90 years
http://www.wilhelm-research.com/epson/WIR_Ep3880_2010_04_14.pdf

Do you concur ?
(additional info welcomed)


I know it's tempting to want to give the customer guidance on how long a print will last.  How gracefully it ages over time not how long it lasts in total is really the right question to be asking. Not to be cynical, but even cheap litho inks on acid-choked newspaper stock can "last" over a century if people take proper care of it and are willing to accept some noticeable changes over time. Therefore, "years on display" to reach "easily noticeable fading" is a pretty elastic way to rate print durability.  Indeed, I think it is a regrettable error that the industry ever attempted to rate print durability (resistance to light, heat, humidity, gas induced deterioration, etc.) on a longevity time scale because the predicted outcome requires an underlying set of assumptions about "standardized environmental conditions" and a complex set of criteria for determining the amount of "noticeable fade" that the typical customer never bothers to understand. Without that understanding, the ratings tend to be "feel good" ratings at best and downright misleading at worst.  The failure criteria may or may not be acceptable for the intended use of the print (e.g., irreplaceable artwork versus reprintable consumer photo, etc). And even if you agree with the failure criteria, the reality is that the typical home has within its interior rooms where prints are stored or displayed a myriad of different chemically and physically reactive environments.  Although most of them are usually well within the "human comfort range" their actual variability can have a profound influence on the rates of deterioration. So, for example, a client can buy two copies of a lovely portrait of one or more family members, frame them identically, hang one in a bedroom, and the other in the family room. In a decade one may well be in very poor condition while the other shows little or no change. Interior light levels alone can vary by three orders of magnitude for prints on display in different parts of the home, thus causing one to experience light induced damage over a hundred times faster in one location compared to another.  A one hundred year industry rated print can therefore accrue that "100 years of standardized exposure" in merely one year if the customer chooses the display location unwisely. I'm just sayin... ;)

All that said, here's some technical information that can help you at least with the light fade resistance of the IGFS, CIBP, and EEF media using Ultrachrome K3 inks. Although I haven't tested all of these combinations specifically, we can reasonably infer from what has been tested since the magenta versus vivid magenta differences between the 3800, 3880, and other Epson printers are no where near the limiting factor in any of these ink/media combinations.  For EEF it's the poorly performing media white point performance, and for CIPB and IGFS it's fading of the yellow pigment, especially in light skin tone colors that are made primarily by blending yellow with magenta ink droplets to form the desired skin tone hue and chroma.

EEF: approximately 25-50 megalux hours of light exposure where the print will remain in excellent condition (i.e. little or not noticeable changes). Using the WIR light level and duration assumptions this period of excellence will last for 12-25 years on continuous display when framed under acrylic glazing. Standard acrylic glazing has somewhat more UV blocking ability than ordinary glass but not as much as "museum" conservation glazing. However, museum glass will shut down the OBA fluorescence, especially in the Exhibition Fiber paper which has high OBA content, so standard acrylic glazing is a reasonable compromise.  The limiting factor at 25 Mlux hours  for the EEF is loss of the media's pristine cool-white appearance due to yellowing of the coating.  By 50Mlux hours any media white and bright highlight areas of a print are now more noticeably changing and the yellow ink is is also beginning to fade such that measurable changes are beginning to accrue (but still not too noticeable) to a large variety of colors and tones in the image not just the paper white areas. Note that fading of the UC yellow pigment is significant not just for yellow colors but also for those created by blends of the yellow ink with the other inks (e.g., when making light skin tone colors that are especially important in many color photographs).

CIBP and IGFS: 60-90 Megalux hours -  30-45 years using WIR environmental assumptions, but again denoting a period of excellence, thus little or no noticeable fade,(i.e., the Aardenburg visual criteria set) rather than easily noticeable fade (i.e., the WIR visual criteria set), as the visual experience likely to be observed over that time period.

The CIPB and IGFS coating chemistry has been essentially the same for both products since they were first introduced, only the underlying base sheet is different apparently, which is why they perform the same in testing when the chosen printer and inks sets are also the same. That IGFS has been "born again" recently warrants some caution that its print durability properties may be different now, but my optimistic guess is that it will probably perform comparably to the older version if it ever gets retested.

Lastly, B&W printing with Epson K3 pigment printers will generally always outperform full color images in light fastness because the majority of the ink being laid down is the photo gray inks which are more lightfast than the other color pigments, again as noted here and by others, the yellow Ultrachrome pigment being the weakest link.

I hope that helps.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: FrankG on November 21, 2014, 07:26:47 pm
Mark,
Wow!
Much or most of this is beyond me.
But it does kinda make sense, and is indeed helpful to get a broad picture of all the variables involved, and the impossible task it is to give definitive 'permanence' measurements/numbers.
Point taken.
The 'light fade resistance' or 'visually noticeable fade' observation seems the best way to quantify,  as you have done here.
To a layman who doesn't even know what a megalux hour is, it seems reasonable to extract from your 'treatise' above, that Canson Baryta Photographique and Ilford Gold Fiber Silk significantly best EEF.
And while most things are equal between these two, the IGFS has an added disadvantage of the yellows fading 'prematurely'. Or is that purely a function of the epson inks, and will thus be the same with Canson baryta photographique. Canson is apparently minimally warmer.
Do I understand you correctly.
Frank
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: MHMG on November 22, 2014, 12:18:05 am

And while most things are equal between these two, the IGFS has an added disadvantage of the yellows fading 'prematurely'. Or is that purely a function of the epson inks, and will thus be the same with Canson baryta photographique. Canson is apparently minimally warmer.
Do I understand you correctly.
Frank


Oops, I made a mistake and got the megalux hour rating jumbled with the years of display prediction when talking about it in the discussion. I have now corrected that section in my earlier post, so that it now reads correctly. I had written: "The limiting factor at 12 Mlux hours  for the EEF is loss of the media's pristine cool-white appearance due to yellowing of the coating.  By 25Mlux hours...  The sentence should have read: The limiting factor at 25 Mlux hours  for the EEF is loss of the media's pristine cool-white appearance due to yellowing of the coating.  By 50Mlux hours...  This is probably what confused you. My bad.

As far as the inks go, the yellow is the most fade prone pigment in the Epson UC K3 ink set essentially on every media, but it fades faster on some media than others. The EEF coating chemistry is actually very compatible with the K3 ink (one reason that EEF gets such a high score in the WIR testing methodology). Also, the rapid OBA burnout in EEF which imparts a yellowish shift to the media color tends to offset the tendency of highlight skin tones,etc. to shift towards blue as the yellow pigment fades, but the Aardenburg testing methodology nevertheless correctly flags the OBA burnout in the EEF as more of a problem in the early stages of aging, hence the lower overall rating for EEF compared to other papers like CIPB and IFGS.  
 
To elaborate further, The EEF's OBA burnout issue is what triggers the lower limit at 25 Mlux hours, but by 50mlux hours the media color is now further yellowed and may be more easily noticed depending on the image content, and the yellow ink has now faded enough that the yellowing of the media is no longer compensating the yellow pigment fade as it did in the earlier stages of aging. Think of this system behavior as two distinct failure mechanisms where they initially offset each other visually but eventually all the color blends finally shift enough to trigger the upper Aardenburg visual limit at 50 megalux hours accumulated exposure. BTW, the lower Aardenburg limit tracks the performance of the worst 10 percent of the color patches, while the upper limit tracks the fading of all the color patches on average. The rationale for this is that the observation of fading is also image content dependent.  Not all prints use the same color pigments equally, so a print with dominant areas of poorer performing color blends is going to be noticed before one that has dominant colors comprised of more stable color blends. The superior light fade resistance of Epson ABW mode printing compared to full color print mode is a classic example of the impact of the image content, i.e., what colors and tones are present, on the viewer's perception of fading.

The CIPB and the IGFS have much less OBA in the coating layer compared to EEF and thus less OBA burnout than the EEF. The EEF paper also has an additional paper yellowing problem that goes beyond what can be explained solely by OBA fading. It manifests as a serious problem at higher exposure doses.  You can see this additional yellowing phenomenon by looking at the full Aardenburg reports for EEF that have been carried out to over 100 megalux hours of accumulated light exposure.  EEF truly doesn't deserve the high score it receives in the WIR testing.  IMHO, Epson should pull EEF from the "Signature Worthy" line, but it's understandable why Epson isn't under any customer pressure to do so. Customers love the initial cool bright white appearance of EEF, but the loss of this key property will typically take a decade or more to become apparent at many commonly encountered interior light levels, so EEF hasn't been deployed in the real world enough for customers to become well aware of the issue at this time. A good case for why accelerated laboratory testing is useful.

Because the CIPB ad IGFS don't have the same tendency to yellow as strongly as the EEF the Epson 3880/CIPB or 3880/IGFS combinations remain in better condition than EEF for those first 50 Mlux hours of exposure and won't begin to trigger the Aardenburg fading limits until approximately 60 Mlux hours of accumulated exposure. By 90Mlux hours exposure the fading of the yellow colorant is once again bringing just noticeable changes to the print quality. Continue exposing the UC K3 inks and media further and the fading just keeps getting more pronounced until at even higher exposure doses everyone will easily notice that Epson UC yellow pigment is causing a color balance shift in the purplish-blue direction.

So, to your original question - how long will a print made with UC K3 inks last?  It does significantly depend on the media choice and just as important, it depends on one's personal tolerance for paper yellowing and somewhat purplish blue skin tones in particular. And it hugely depends on the customer's choice of display environment!!!!.  If a print has strong sentimental value, many consumers will keep astonishingly faded prints on the wall. So, light fastness ratings expressed in years are indeed quite elastic.. tell the customer what he or she wants to hear and under some real world circumstances the claim will probably be entirely valid. However, by expressing the light fade resistance in exposure units (megalux hours) and when the allowable fade is confined only to the period of excellence where fading can be measured with instrumentation but little or no noticeable fading can be yet perceived, then the ratings can become  a true "apple-to-apples" comparison.  As stringent as the Aardenburg test methodology is compared to other testing methods, the fact that some systems get scores in excess of 100 megalux hours is testimony to the fact that there are some impressive products out there in the market today.  One just has to identify them and use them :)

best,
Mark
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Stefan Ohlsson on November 22, 2014, 05:38:23 am
As stringent as the Aardenburg test methodology is compared to other testing methods, the fact that some systems get scores in excess of 100 megalux hours is testimony to the fact that there are some impressive products out there in the market today.  One just has to identify them and use them :)

best,
Mark

Mark, the work you do is remarkable and is extremely important for us. We use it a lot when photographers want to use a paper with high OBA content, or when they are thinking of doing a C-print. One of the prints that we've made were just sold on an auction in London for more than £16,000. If we had printed this on a paper that will fade in less than 25 years, that would undermine the trust in the photographic medium as collectables.
We have sponsored you in the past, and hope to do so in the future as well. I hope that other photographers will do the same.

Best

Stefan
www.profiler.nu
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: FrankG on November 22, 2014, 08:44:46 am
"some systems get scores in excess of 100 megalux hours"
? which ?

Incredible depth of knowledge. Thank you for taking the time and trouble. Unfortunately, it's mostly over my head (not too smart I guess).

After reading the posts, I don't think that I'm a whole lot closer to being able to tell a recipient of my print/s (on any of the 3 mentioned papers) how long it'll last before fading or col shifting. The environmental conditions and the ink/paper and print content issues are just too variable.
Sadly it seems I can't guarantee the print permanence for more than a handful of years. And makes me think I should quit and just send images to a lab for chromira c-prints.

Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Mark D Segal on November 22, 2014, 08:47:00 am
Mark, the work you do is remarkable and is extremely important for us. We use it a lot when photographers want to use a paper with high OBA content, or when they are thinking of doing a C-print. One of the prints that we've made were just sold on an auction in London for more than £16,000. If we had printed this on a paper that will fade in less than 25 years, that would undermine the trust in the photographic medium as collectables.
We have sponsored you in the past, and hope to do so in the future as well. I hope that other photographers will do the same.

Best

Stefan
www.profiler.nu


I agree totally Stefan. I don't have a commercial interest in longevity, but a strong personal interest in it for the sake of the quality of the art and science of photography, and I have been a supporter too. I also believe there should be credible alternatives to the commercial service Wilhelm-Imaging provides - nothing against Wilhelm - but only because monopolies in just about anything are in no-one's long term interest for all kinds of reasons.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Mark D Segal on November 22, 2014, 08:51:10 am
"some systems get scores in excess of 100 megalux hours"
? which ?

Incredible depth of knowledge. Thank you for taking the time and trouble. Unfortunately, it's mostly over my head (not too smart I guess).

After reading the posts, I don't think that I'm a whole lot closer to being able to tell a recipient of my print/s (on any of the 3 mentioned papers) how long it'll last before fading or col shifting. The environmental conditions and the ink/paper and print content issues are just too variable.
Sadly it seems I can't guarantee the print permanence for more than a handful of years. And makes me think I should quit and just send images to a lab for chromira c-prints.



And what is the longevity of Chromira-C prints?

I think you are vastly exaggerating the problem. I don't see anything in the published data for IGFS that would prevent you from advising your clients that the prints are highly likely to be "pretty safe" from light fading and other kinds of deterioration for AT LEAST 70 years if they take proper care of the environment in which they are exhibited, and under dark storage where gazillions of prints sit, far, far longer. Much about safety and credibility depends on the language you use, quite apart from the science.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: MHMG on November 22, 2014, 08:59:42 am
Mark, the work you do is remarkable and is extremely important for us. We use it a lot when photographers want to use a paper with high OBA content, or when they are thinking of doing a C-print. One of the prints that we've made were just sold on an auction in London for more than £16,000. If we had printed this on a paper that will fade in less than 25 years, that would undermine the trust in the photographic medium as collectables.
We have sponsored you in the past, and hope to do so in the future as well. I hope that other photographers will do the same.

Best

Stefan
www.profiler.nu


Thank you Stefan for the kind words and for your past participation and support. There are several forum members on LULA who have indeed been very supportive of this work over the past several years. You know who you are!

I'm very personally satisfied that the Aardenburg digital print research program has been a strong technical success and broke some new ground in the field of print permanence research, but the financial support it received over the years was nowhere near what was necessary to keep it going.  I've pretty much stopped testing these days. I will add a few new printer/ink/media combinations from time to time for systems I'm personally interested in using, but my goal of creating a crowd-sourced testing program independently supported by the printmaking community and not the manufacturers was wishful thinking on my part.  In a way, I blame google :D  I never found an audience, and an audience never found me.

best,
Mark McCormick-Goodhart
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on November 22, 2014, 09:14:50 am
I ship prints rolled in mailing tubes along with a note about framing (use archival materials) and optimal display conditions.  "This photograph has been printed with Epson pigment inks on one of the finest inkjet papers available.  It will give many years of viewing pleasure if handled with care.  Take care when handling the photograph and do not touch the image with your fingers.  If the photography was shipped rolled, some curl of the paper is to be expected following shipment but putting a weight on each end of the paper (over the cover sheet) for a day or two should straighten it out.  Alternatively, you can roll it in the opposite direction that it arrived in taking care to keep the cover sheet over the image.  Tape a piece of paper around it to keep it rolled and unroll it after 24 hours; it should lie reasonably flat.  If you elect to have the picture framed instruct the framer to use archival mat board and not to dry mount the photograph as the temperatures used in that process may result in damage.  When hanging the print, take care to avoid areas where there will be direct exposure to sunlight as fading may result."

Arguably, I don't need to provide a 'warning' about dry mounting but it's been my experience that it's often done with too high a temperature and I won't routinely recommend it.  I don't print larger than 17x25 so traditional Mylar photocorners or hinge tape will hold a print flat with an overmat.  I've gotten some nice comments back from friends/customers who said their framer was grateful for the suggestions.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: FrankG on November 22, 2014, 09:21:21 am
Mark,
I'm sorry to hear that your venture isn't taking off.
 If I may throw in my 2c.
What you offer and how the info is disseminated is probably way ahead of the crowd.
What I mean is that only 'experts' like Mark (Segal) and Stefan and Ernst etc really get it.
But in the inkjet printing community the majority of users are probably more like me - ignorant in these matters.
And we look for easily digestible answers.
Sincerely,
Frank
(I offer my website to indicate that although ignorant in these matters, I have been photographing for a long time and am not totally clueless www.frankgross.com)
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Mark D Segal on November 22, 2014, 09:32:45 am
Impressive photogfraphy Frank, and thanks for sharing.

To be clear, I am not an expert in print longevity - I just imbibe and try to apply practical common sense to what I learn.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: MHMG on November 22, 2014, 09:42:21 am
"some systems get scores in excess of 100 megalux hours"
? which ?

Sadly it seems I can't guarantee the print permanence for more than a handful of years. And makes me think I should quit and just send images to a lab for chromira c-prints.



Frank, it was not my intention to discourage you. The CIPB and IGFS are pretty solid performers with Epson UC inks, the EEF not so much, but with greater awareness of light levels even EEF can last a long time as well.  I think the smart thing you can do for your customers who care about these matters is to avoid the EEF and simply to say that the prints you make on the CIPB (the new IGFS is potentially an unknown) will be fade resistant for many decades to come provided that the customer frames them and displays them in a location where direct sunlight never reaches them, ie. out of direct line of sight between a window and the sun.  One of the data logger environmental studies I did that was really sobering was when I was monitoring a print that was getting struck by sunlight only six minutes per day on average. My perception was that the print was not in harms way (I was unaware of those six minutes occurring daily), but the data logger integration proved that this 6 minutes per day dose was reaching over 40,000 lux intensity and thus over half of all incident light exposure on the print throughout the course of the year was occurring in that six minutes per day of sun strike. Fading of that print could be cut in half (thus functional "life" of the print doubled) merely by moving the print over a few feet on the wall within the same room.  Winter in my Massachusetts climate is also worse than the summer because the leaves on the trees in the summertime help to keep the sunlight coming through the windows at bay.

all the best, and keep on printing your own work! BTW, you are a real artist with a camera. I truly admire the images on your website.

Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on November 22, 2014, 09:52:31 am
Mark,
I'm sorry to hear that your venture isn't taking off.
 If I may throw in my 2c.
What you offer and how the info is disseminated is probably way ahead of the crowd.
What I mean is that only 'experts' like Mark (Segal) and Stefan and Ernst etc really get it.
But in the inkjet printing community the majority of users are probably more like me - ignorant in these matters.
And we look for easily digestible answers.
Sincerely,
Frank
(I offer my website to indicate that although ignorant in these matters, I have been photographing for a long time and am not totally clueless www.frankgross.com)
But you can look at the patch tests and see which colors fade quickly; this does not require any sophisticated knowledge other than using your eyes.  It's always striking when looking at Epson inks how poorly the Yellow performs over time.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Mark D Segal on November 22, 2014, 09:56:54 am
But you can look at the patch tests and see which colors fade quickly; this does not require any sophisticated knowledge other than using your eyes.  It's always striking when looking at Epson inks how poorly the Yellow performs over time.

How much time Alan? I have many Epson inkjet prints made 10 to 15 years ago that show no signs of yellow fading.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: MHMG on November 22, 2014, 10:43:01 am

What you offer and how the info is disseminated is probably way ahead of the crowd.
What I mean is that only 'experts' like Mark (Segal) and Stefan and Ernst etc really get it.
But in the inkjet printing community the majority of users are probably more like me - ignorant in these matters.
And we look for easily digestible answers.


I don't disagree with your assessment. However, my original hypothesis was that there are many knowledgeable printmakers and other industry experts (those that fully understand color management, CIELAB colorimetry, etc.) and who care about archival print materials. Let them be the first line of information dissemination and then let them distill the more technical info down to practical advice for photographers and artists who don't want to know or have the time to absorb all the details. You are witnessing that distillation process going on right here in this forum thread, where the AaI&A test reports have been studied closely by some folks here on LULA, and they are then sharing their conclusions and interpretations of the research with you.

I still believe that worldwide there are thousands of these industry influencers out there who can benefit from the higher level reportage offered in the AaI&A reports and other technical articles. I just didn't connect with enough of them, and Google doesn't point them in my direction very well because AaI&A is more of a scholarly research site not one with commercial ties to the industry that google exploits to generate its ad revenue.

cheers,
Mark
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: FrankG on November 22, 2014, 11:15:02 am
Mark,
You are right.
When you break it down like that it works.
A hierarchical system of distilling the information makes total sense.
By the time it hits the ground I just want a simple table with this +that=the result :-)
I agree about google and their interests, but to take the above point a little further then those in the 'in between stages of the pyramid' also must accept some responsibility for not getting it out to the masses, no?
I certainly appreciate what you and the others have done here - I want to acknowledge and thank everyone that has contributed to this thread.
And thanks for the compliments
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on November 22, 2014, 11:52:06 am
How much time Alan? I have many Epson inkjet prints made 10 to 15 years ago that show no signs of yellow fading.
Quote it depends on the paper.  I have some prints hanging up in offices in this area that still look good after six years of fairly harsh lighting.  On Mark's tests you can see fading at 40 mlux hours with the light flesh tone patch.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: FrankG on November 22, 2014, 06:38:21 pm
Just got back home with my first box of Canson Baryta Photographique and am going to start printing "archival prints that will last decades in a conducive environment"  ;D

Off topic -
But if anyone has a 3880 please let me know which paper feed path you use for this media - rear ?
And what paper thickness do you set #4 ?
Gap = Wide?
Advanced Media Control = everything at 0 ? I want the most neutral to cool (EEF) result
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Mark D Segal on November 22, 2014, 07:03:23 pm
Just got back home with my first box of Canson Baryta Photographique and am going to start printing "archival prints that will last decades in a conducive environment"  ;D

Off topic -
But if anyone has a 3880 please let me know which paper feed path you use for this media - rear ?
And what paper thickness do you set #4 ?
Gap = Wide?
Advanced Media Control = everything at 0 ? I want the most neutral to cool (EEF) result

Good paper choice. Apart from Advanced Media Control which I never deal with, I recall from my 3800 days that those settings should be fine: Rear, 4 and Wide.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: FrankG on November 22, 2014, 07:18:40 pm
Thanks
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: MHMG on November 22, 2014, 09:33:57 pm
Just got back home with my first box of Canson Baryta Photographique and am going to start printing "archival prints that will last decades in a conducive environment"  ;D

Very well said. I particularly like your use of the phrase "conducive environment"!  You see, Frank, you have now become a masterful distiller of the more arcane technical stuff, taking this more complex subject matter and reducing it to a more simple but truthful and therefore powerful assertion of the facts :)

best,
mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: FrankG on November 22, 2014, 09:40:52 pm
 ;D ;D ;D ha ha ha

btw first prints are looking good ! I'm grateful for having been steered in the right direction.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Mark D Segal on November 22, 2014, 09:56:26 pm
Glad to hear it's coming together Frank.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: enduser on November 23, 2014, 06:03:58 am
To FrankG.  Absolutely high class photos, Frank.  I would not be surprised to see some of them in general photo books for experts.  The contrasting use of highlight and shade is little short of astonishing.  Very few can be categorized as "You Only Had  to be There" photos, a common problem with a lot  of pictures.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: FrankG on November 24, 2014, 10:46:29 am
Thanks.

I have two further questions please - one on and one off-topic:

Re: 'print permanence' -Is there a consensus on framing glass recommendations. It seems that UV glass can trap optical brighteners which is undesirable - correct?
And that acrylic may be a better option than plain glass?

re: printing - do you recommend High Speed ( bi-directional ?) and Finest Detail to be on or off, or if not a universal decision then when would they be on/off?
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Stefan Ohlsson on November 24, 2014, 11:00:35 am
Thanks.

I have two further questions please - one on and one off-topic:

Re: 'print permanence' -Is there a consensus on framing glass recommendations. It seems that UV glass can trap optical brighteners which is undesirable - correct?
And that acrylic may be a better option than plain glass?

re: printing - do you recommend High Speed ( bi-directional ?) and Finest Detail to be on or off, or if not a universal decision then when would they be on/off?

regarding permanence, the very strong consensus is to avoid papers with OBA added. If you use OBA-free papers, then you can use glass with UV-filter without any problems.

High speed printing can give some problems on certain papers. Smooth, even surfaces can show a striping effect. You have to be more careful when you do your head alignment. But if you don't have these problems, why not.

Finest detail should be used if you have an image with a very high resolution. On the Epson printers, that would force the printer to use a resolution of 720 ppi instead of 360. If you have images that start out with a lower resolution, I can't see any advantage. And as Henri Cartier Bresson said: sharpness is a bourgeois concept  ;)
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: FrankG on November 24, 2014, 11:09:24 am
As a side note I would like to know which papers contain No optical brightners.

As you see in the early part of the thread, i was using EEF which I have now stopped because it appears to use an excess of  brightners to get that "look" which I like.
I was deciding between Gold Fibre Silk & Canson Baryta Photographique and settled on the latter for now.
Both do contain some brightners but not as much as EEF
So for this paper which framing glass ?
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Stefan Ohlsson on November 24, 2014, 11:49:20 am
As a side note I would like to know which papers contain No optical brightners.

As you see in the early part of the thread, i was using EEF which I have now stopped because it appears to use an excess of  brightners to get that "look" which I like.
I was deciding between Gold Fibre Silk & Canson Baryta Photographique and settled on the latter for now.
Both do contain some brightners but not as much as EEF
So for this paper which framing glass ?
Our resident expert on OBA content is Ernst Dinkla, but I like Canson Platine Fibre Rag. One of the reasons is that it is OBA free.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: MHMG on November 24, 2014, 11:57:55 am
I agree with Stefan, that it's better to avoid OBA containing papers (I do that myself religiously), but many photographers do believe "neutral" white is best represented with papers that contain a little OBA. Hahnemuhle Photo Rag is an example where the CIELAB b* value of this matt finish paper has been tweaked to zero by incorporating a relatively small amount of OBAs in the paper core. For luster/gloss type "traditional Fiber" papers like CIPB, the b* value is slightly negative typically about -1 or -2 which to many printmakers appears even more "neutral" to their eye under gallery lighting, but I"m personally "calibrated" over years of doing these measurements to trust  b* = 0 as in fact dead neutral under 5000K lighting (Solux lamps, for example), and I'm willing to tolerate very slightly warm white such as papers measuring b* = +1, or +2, but that's my personal printmaking preference.

I achieve my sense of a "traditional photographic aesthetic" mainly by printing on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl which has a b* white point value about 1.0 so some would say a little on the warm white side. However, Photorag Pearl has so many additional desirable properties including amazing light fade resistance and media white point stability with my Canon Lucia EX ink set, that it has become my main "go to" paper.  That said, I do understand why so many folks like IGfS or CIPB, and even why some (who don't know or care about the EEF yellowing issue) love such a cool bright white paper like EEF.  It has a b* white point value of about -5.5, so quite bluish in appearance compared to other papers like Photorag Pearl.

As far as the UV blocking issue with glazing, I may surprise some of my friends here on LULA who know how much I care about print permanence by disclosing that I'm somewhat of a contrarian in what is considered to be "best archival framing practices".  I essentially don't worry about the UV blocking issue. Better to inform the customer about overall light levels on display than to falsely assure him or her that UV block glazing has solved the light fade issue no matter where the print is displayed. It's just plain wrong, but many framing professionals believe that UV is the only radiation that fades artwork. Blue wavelength radiation which you need in the light source for accurate color rendering has more than enough energy per photon to fade artwork, and there's a larger amount of it in natural daylight filtered through window glass. Hence, worryng about UV striking artwork in the typical home environment is better replaced by concern about overall light intensity levels in the location where the artwork is displayed. An inexpensive lux meter (less than $20 for some on Amazon.com) will guide the customer to much safer display illumination levels. And if the artwork is hung where more appropriate illumination levels are achieved, then the UV content issue gets dealt with just fine as well.

I select glazing(s) primarily by laying down various samples over the printed image and pick one that has low impact on media white and highlight colors.  Every glazing has some impact on highlight and media white point color, but some combination of glazing and image content are much worse than others. For example, using a full UV block glazing on a print containing OBA will have an obvious impact, but even a full UV block acrylic has a basic yellowish cast to it that will impact any document underneath, including ones that have no OBA content.  Regular photo grade framing glass has a lot of iron content in it that imparts an unwelcome greenish tint to some images. Water white glass, both anti-reflection coated and uncoated tend to show the least impact on image color. Standard acrylic is excellent for retaining image color as well, and is light weight, but scratches easily. So, no glazing works ideally in all applications and with all artwork.

Whether any imparted color change is acceptable to the enduser is a matter of personal choice and again somewhat image content dependent. Images with large areas of whites and pastel highlights in them, especially light blues and cyans, are much more sensitive to choice of glazing than images containing only rich bold colors.   The primary role of any glazing, IMHO, is to protect the print from air borne pollution, handling grease, and grime, and physical scratches or abrasion.  Any of the typical glazing materials will do that.

I would encourage printmakers to build their own "sample kit" of different glazing products on the market, and experiment with how they influence image appearance under different lighting conditions. It's quite an instructive exercise. Frame destination ( http://www.framedestination.com ) has a pretty good selection of different glazing products. You can buy a small piece of each type, and request they label them for you. I'm sure there are many other good suppliers as well, both locally, and on the internet that can help you out, but FrameDestination is a supplier I use routinely with good results.   Some smallish size pieces of glazing should not be too expensive for you to build your personal kit and to show friends and/or clients how the glazing choice impacts the color and tonal appearance of the print.

best,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: FrankG on November 24, 2014, 12:18:20 pm
Again, amazing reply Mark. Your depth of knowledge and experience is awesome.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: William Walker on November 28, 2014, 03:32:33 am
Hi Frank

Regarding your post on settings on the 3880 with Canson Inifinity Baryta Photographique: Eric Chan made an ABW profile for that paper a few years ago ( http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3880/abwprofiles.html ) and recommends the Platen Gap to be set to "Wide".

If you find "track marks" on your prints - try that.

I also enjoyed your work, and as soon as I saw one picture, (you'll know which one it is!) I knew you had been to South Africa!

Regards
William
(Pietermaritzburg).
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: FrankG on November 28, 2014, 09:33:02 am
Thanks.
I've had those ABW profiles for a while, trying a B/W print right now in fact, but no luck - they always seem to come out too dark compared to the profiled screen image (which doesn't happen with my col images/profiles).

I haven't been to SA, I'm from SA, although I left a very long time ago. Natal looks beautiful in your pictures.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: JRSmit on November 28, 2014, 02:30:58 pm
Stefan, ik use 720ppi plus fin details on as my standard setting. Not just about edge sharpness but also as the smoothest print of tone and nuances. I print from Lightroom which does a very  good job of uprezzing.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Stefan Ohlsson on November 28, 2014, 06:39:27 pm
Stefan, ik use 720ppi plus fin details on as my standard setting. Not just about edge sharpness but also as the smoothest print of tone and nuances. I print from Lightroom which does a very  good job of uprezzing.

I seldom print anything in smaller sizes that 24 x 36". With a resolution of 720 ppi that gives me a file size of 1.25 GB and a print speed of an ant. In a more normal size of 44 x 36" that is increased to 2.3 GB and my network will have the speed of a glacier, which takes 5000 years from the snow settles on the mountain top until it will be an iceberg.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Mark D Segal on November 28, 2014, 06:41:37 pm
And for prints of that size you don't normally need that kind of crazy-high resolution because they would be normally viewed at some distance, save for the true pixel-peepers.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Mark D Segal on December 02, 2014, 09:39:39 pm
The EEF (or EU Epson Traditional Fibre) weakest color in Aardenburg-Imaging fade tests is its paper white so any measured ink patch holds better. For all the tested Epson pigment inks, Ultrachrome up to the 3880 ink set, the yellow ink is the worst and that has not changed for printers above 13" width. Check the EEF tests of other Epson models on the paper white and yellow patch I would say.

The IGFS as distributed by Ilford Imaging until its collapse end of 2013 is replaced by a similar quality with a slightly higher white reflectance probably manufactured by Felix Schoeller. Distributor the new Ilford undertaking with Japanese/Aussie interests. There are now two varieties, one that resembles the old IGFS / Canson Baryta Photographique / Innova IFA69 and more brands, the other the new IGFS / Felix Schoeller J23160 True Baryta / Hahnemühle Photo Silk Baryta / MediaJet PhotoArt White Baryta. The last group has the higher white reflectance. Could be that I observe a moving target and all brands will switch to the higher reflectance type but right now older fade tests may no longer describe the papers that are distributed. The IGFS had a reasonable reputation in fade testing, some OBA content though which is also present in the new version.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
November 2014 update, 680+ inkjet media white spectral plots



Following up on this, I've received confirmation from one of the manufacturer's representatives who sought it directly from source that the new IGFS is identical to the old and there are no OBAs in it.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: JRSmit on December 03, 2014, 12:13:52 am
Following up on this, I've received confirmation from one of the manufacturer's representatives who sought it directly from source that the new IGFS is identical to the old and there are no OBAs in it.
which is contradicting as the old had some OBA.
Curious to know then how the reflectance is achieved.

Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Stefan Ohlsson on December 03, 2014, 03:14:03 am
Following up on this, I've received confirmation from one of the manufacturer's representatives who sought it directly from source that the new IGFS is identical to the old and there are no OBAs in it.
Why then does the old paper turn blue when I turn on my UV light? Does the representative know what OBA is?
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on December 03, 2014, 03:47:03 am
Following up on this, I've received confirmation from one of the manufacturer's representatives who sought it directly from source that the new IGFS is identical to the old and there are no OBAs in it.

I trust my spectrometer more than most representatives. Not that I did not hear some interesting rumors on the Photokina.

I also trust Aardenburg-Imaging's spectrometers on the OBA content.

If you want to know where some Ilford imaging staff, patents and equipment went:
http://iis-liquidation.ch/
http://www.wifag-polytype.com/fileadmin/user_upload/press_downloads/2014-05-08_Ilford/PR20140219-Fachpresse-Ilford-E.pdf
http://www.wifag-polytype.com/group/actual/news/

A company that makes coating machinery.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
November 2014 update, 680+ inkjet media white spectral plots


Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on December 03, 2014, 07:47:15 am
I just deleted my post in the thread about the two new Baryta papers that Mark reviewed yesterday on the LuLa home site where I commented on the presence/absence of OBAs in IGFS.  If it is "true" that there are no OBAs in the 'new' IGFS then the paper is not the same as the old version.  As noted din the two posts above, there were OBAs present in that paper.  Even so, the paper does seem to be pretty stable in the Aardenburg stability tests.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: MHMG on December 03, 2014, 08:42:08 am
Following up on this, I've received confirmation from one of the manufacturer's representatives who sought it directly from source that the new IGFS is identical to the old and there are no OBAs in it.

It is always amazing to me how old myths never seem to die. :)  Way back when IGFS was new, at least one Ilford brochure said it had no OBAs. That printed claim was erroneous. Trade reps then picked up on this "selling point" and spread that mistake far and wide. Now, it appears as IGFS is being reborn, this old myth may once again be making the rounds amongst the sales reps. To be clear, the old IGFS does have OBAs at low levels. I don't have any of the latest IGFS, but if it truly does not have any OBAs then it is not the original formulation and only the name is reborn, not the original product. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd bet it the latest version does indeed contain OBAs, but that will be easy enough to determine by simple examination with a blacklight, or by instrumentation in the manner in which Ernst and I report our media white point measurements.

The Old IGFS OBA content was located in a subbing layer (but not the paper core). Because it was used in moderation and not located in the top coat the incorporated OBAs hold up better in light fade testing than some OBAs in other OBA-containing papers, especially ones with high OBA content like Epson Exhibition Fiber paper.  However, the incorporated OBAS do eventually fade, and there's also some LILIS effect (light induced low intensity staining) that can show up eventually when the print is taken off display and retired for several months or more to dark storage.

I'm growing fonder and fonder of OBA free papers in my own personal printmaking efforts. Perhaps it's an acquired taste ;D

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Mark D Segal on December 03, 2014, 09:25:02 am
Well, that's why I made the inquiry and posted here the response I received. I shall now feed this link back to the source of the information and let us see how they respond. :-) Thanks guys. Should be an interesting discussion if they wish to engage further.

Cheers,

Mark
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on December 03, 2014, 09:26:56 am
I just deleted my post in the thread about the two new Baryta papers that Mark reviewed yesterday on the LuLa home site where I commented on the presence/absence of OBAs in IGFS.  If it is "true" that there are no OBAs in the 'new' IGFS then the paper is not the same as the old version.  As noted din the two posts above, there were OBAs present in that paper.  Even so, the paper does seem to be pretty stable in the Aardenburg stability tests.

The reviewed Hahnemühle Photo Silk Baryta is identical to the new IGFS and to the Felix Schoeller J23160 True Baryta. Hahnemühle mentions very low OBA content for that paper, which is correct. The old IGFS had even lower OBA content and shows a near identical spectral plot to the new version.

Edit, a screenshot of the respective papers. It looks like with every incarnation of IGFS: Galerie, Galerie Prestige, New Galerie Prestige, the level of OBA went up. The top plot, yellow/green/blue, is the merging of the new generation of IGFS clones.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Mark D Segal on December 03, 2014, 10:02:44 am
I just deleted my post in the thread about the two new Baryta papers that Mark reviewed yesterday on the LuLa home site where I commented on the presence/absence of OBAs in IGFS.  If it is "true" that there are no OBAs in the 'new' IGFS then the paper is not the same as the old version.  As noted din the two posts above, there were OBAs present in that paper.  Even so, the paper does seem to be pretty stable in the Aardenburg stability tests.

Hi Alan, OK, we're dealing with opposing views both from highly respected specialists in the field. The manufacturer and Wilhelm reporting one thing, and Ernst and Mark reporting the opposite. One or the other is correct, or the reality lies in some factor that has yet to be revealed (and hence I wouldn't have a clue). So I have referred this discussion back to the manufacturer's representative and asked them if they care to revert back to source and help with further clarity on the matter. Let us see what comes next.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: dchew on December 04, 2014, 10:12:28 am
This thread bolsters my belief that the "Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks" area of this forum is one of the best. Thanks to all the contributors.

Dave
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Mark D Segal on December 04, 2014, 10:36:41 am
Hi Dave,

Just visited your website - superb work there.

Cheers,

Mark
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: John Caldwell on December 04, 2014, 12:16:57 pm
How does one reconcile the reported 90-year longevity numbers for Exhibition Fiber with the knowledge that users of this paper report unstable white-point of the paper? Do longevity ratings, from Wilhelm or otherwise, not encompass fade of paper white values?
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: TylerB on December 04, 2014, 01:13:13 pm
How does one reconcile the reported 90-year longevity numbers for Exhibition Fiber with the knowledge that users of this paper report unstable white-point of the paper? Do longevity ratings, from Wilhelm or otherwise, not encompass fade of paper white values?

John, frankly the statement at face value is so hard to swallow I don't try to reconcile it, I don't take it seriously. Under what conditions will it "last" 90 years? What exactly will it look like at 90 years, is there a range of change considered acceptable and "lasting"?
The only longevity ratings that seem serious to me are Aargenburg's. In fact I don't consider them longevity ratings, what they really provide, is some kind of scientifically deduced expectation of what a given combination of materials will look like over X amount of time under X conditions.
Isn't that all we can really expect?

Among other things this helps us select processes when put in comparative contexts with others, and helps us learn how to care for our art. I never tell anyone how long a print will last any more, I tell them the efforts gone into making it as robust as possible given alternatives, and any care and handling advice I can give with confidence. Generally this is not what people want to hear, they want to hear how many years it will last period, a concept unfortunately propagated by marketing techniques for decades and very difficult to counter without sounding sleazy...
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Mark D Segal on December 04, 2014, 01:49:57 pm
John and Tyler,

Much as qualified scientists have tried their best to simulate longevity estimates using sophisticated techniques, simply because not enough time has elapsed to verify the predictions, it is not possible to put errors of estimate around these very long term predictions. I think this is why it is indeed to be cautious when responding to people seeking these assurances, regardless of what they want to hear. I think it also necessary to read the footnotes accompanying every estimate of image and paper longevity that WIR publishes -  heaps of context and qualifiers there, as well as the numerous PDF document's on MHMG's website dealing with methodology and meaning.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: John Caldwell on December 04, 2014, 03:59:41 pm
Thanks Mark and Tyler. If we, for the moment, just address the simple question of whether longevity ratings - no matter from whom the come: Do they speak only to ink fade or time, or do that also encompass changes in a paper's whiteness over time? I understand that there are limitations in simulating long period of time.

Thank you,

John Caldwell
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: MHMG on December 04, 2014, 04:15:35 pm
How does one reconcile the reported 90-year longevity numbers for Exhibition Fiber with the knowledge that users of this paper report unstable white-point of the paper? Do longevity ratings, from Wilhelm or otherwise, not encompass fade of paper white values?

I could give a lengthy seminar on how manufacturers and testing labs arrive at meaningful (or not so meaningful) failure criteria used in accelerated aging studies, but to answer your question as succinctly as I can ;) ...Wilhelm's WIR Visually-Weighted Endpoint Criteria Set v3.0 is a legacy standard based on densitometry not colorimetry and derived as a consumer satisfaction (acceptability) rating for noticeable fading and discoloration of 20th century color chromogenic papers.  With the WIR 3.0 criteria set, a fairly liberal paper white point color shift (i.e yellowish stain level) is allowed (e.g., 0.15 blue density increase) because traditional wet process color photo papers of that era exhibited rather high paper stain levels both on display and in dark storage.  Other visual tolerances, some tighter, some looser, are given to factors like color balance shift, fading of "pure" colors like cyan, magenta, and yellow,etc. There are 17 individual criteria in all for the WIR 3.0 criteria set, but the one that reaches its limit first during testing becomes the defining endpoint for the test and thus the basis for the predicted lifetime rating. Today's inkjet media rarely if ever fail on the WIR white point criteria because it is set pretty loose to be "fairer" from a consumer tolerance point of view to traditional chromogenic color papers.  Consequently, the current WIR test method is not really able to differentiate poorer inkjet papers from better inkjet papers with respect to white point stability over time.

Multi-colorant inkjet systems also pose other challenges to the legacy WIR test method and to evaluations made with densitometric measurements rather than colorimetric measurement in general.  Henry Wilhelm and I collaborated for several years on a better evaluation protocol that culminated in the publication of the open source I* metric at the end of 2004. The I* metric achieves what we set out to do, ie., solve the technical problems with image appearance evaluation of systems with very complex fading behavior. I went on to found AaI&A in order to refine a practical test target (largely based on the color values specified in Macbeth Color Checker Chart) for evaluating color blends and skin tone colors that the older test methods don't even have any means to evaluate, and when used in conjunction with the I* metric would complete my goal of a fair and impartial light fade test for modern printing systems.

Unfortunately, the industry has been very slow to embrace any new testing methodology which is presumably why WIR still performs testing for clients with the legacy WIR 3.0 method, and why there continues to be a fragmented bunch of print permanence claims, no ISO standard for print permanence testing, and no standardization in how manufacturers provide the customer with any truly meaningful information about print permanence of their products :(
 
best,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Mark D Segal on December 04, 2014, 04:36:21 pm
Thanks Mark. I think that post would be a fitting "finishing touch" on this thread - not that I am trying to stifle any discussion - it's just so very succinct about where the science and commerce stands that it leaves one wondering what more there is to say for addressing the comfort level under current conditions.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on December 04, 2014, 05:24:29 pm
Thanks Mark. I think that post would be a fitting "finishing touch" on this thread - not that I am trying to stifle any discussion - it's just so very succinct about where the science and commerce stands that it leaves one wondering what more there is to say for addressing the comfort level under current conditions.
The one "final touch" that really needs to be done is to move towards an acceptable ISO standard.  That way we could have confidence in an accepted approach to permanence.  I don't know whether there is a standing group on such things within ISO or one of the other standards organizations (I was a member of ASTM, HL-7, and GS1 during my working career but none of these were involved in photography).

Alan
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Mark D Segal on December 04, 2014, 05:49:44 pm
I agree, but I'm wondering whether the state of the science and the scope for consensus amongst those concerned would facilitate developing such a standard.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: MHMG on December 04, 2014, 06:15:11 pm
The one "final touch" that really needs to be done is to move towards an acceptable ISO standard.  That way we could have confidence in an accepted approach to permanence.  I don't know whether there is a standing group on such things within ISO or one of the other standards organizations (I was a member of ASTM, HL-7, and GS1 during my working career but none of these were involved in photography).

Alan

There is an ISO working committee on print permanence standards (light, heat, gas fade, etc). I was on it for several years, but finally quit when it became clear that there were too many manufacturers with too many diverse agendas to proceed at any rational pace towards a meaningful standard. There was never any contention that the science wasn't solid enough to create a good standard. There was plenty of contentiousness about how and where to set pass/fail specifications and what assumptions to use for a "typical" display environment which was needed to make any extrapolation to the "years on display" time in order to reach the specified failure criterion limit.

I quit nearly 10 years ago, but I keep in touch with how that effort is going through my colleagues who remain involved. IMHO, the prospects for a meaningful set of print permanence standards are worse today than when I quit. Turmoil in the industry (demise of Kodak, Ilford, Agfa, Konica, Polaroid, etc) combined with a growing public misconception that print permanence is not necessary in this modern digital era of "fade-free" digital images, conspires to make consensus within the task group even tougher today than it would have been ten years ago.

All that said, I do firmly believe that meaningful print permanence information is still important to the printmaking community, that prints surviving into the future from this era of inkjet printing will be artistically, historically, and/or sentimentally important, and that the ones in superior condition will be especially coveted.  I also genuinely believe but have utterly failed to prove with the AaI&A digital print research program that the printmaking community is in a much better position to fund and produce this information for ourselves.... not to rely on the manufacturers to objectively provide it to us. And perhaps naively, I believe that such an effort spearheaded within the printmaking community could lead to various independent testing labs embracing a single testing protocol and sharing the testing workload. The more the merrier. And lastly, if that happens, then the appropriate ISO committee(s) could finally be incentivized enough to adopt the outcome as an ISO standard or set of standards.


OK, Mark S.  Now I'm also ready to say, that's my "final touch" to this thread. But others could easily suck me back into it :).
cheers,

Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on December 05, 2014, 07:55:55 am
Mark,

Thanks for the overview on the standards organization work.  I agree with you that this is the "final word" and that your conclusion about the print makers obligation here.

Alan
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: JRSmit on December 06, 2014, 03:27:33 am
As a Fine Art Print maker i agree with you Mark. That is why i support your work.  And i urge all printmakers to support AaI&A if you are not already doing that. I honestly believe i owe that to my customers.

Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Paul Roark on December 06, 2014, 11:41:10 am
And even if one gets a super-strong pigment, there remain uncertainties about the papers and coatings.  One photo conservation expert opined to me that all laminated or coated substrates ultimately crack or de-laminate.  Along these lines, check out http://www.dp3project.org/preservation#crackinginkjetlight and also the fine work of one of the LuLa contributors at http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=87926.0 .  A bit off topic, but consistent and reminiscent of what I've seen in old prints while working on a local museum restoration project, see what can happen to our old Kodachromes at https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByFh4nr_ip0ITGF3TUh3dU1aTUk&usp=sharing (from the [email protected]).

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: dchew on December 19, 2014, 04:53:58 pm
I've recently adopted ImagePrint for my 7900, at least for b&w prints. I often like a slight warm tone, ~ 65/50 in the narrow gamut tint picker (little more for highlights, less for shadows).

I guess that when I do this, yellow ink being added and my permanence going down hill fast. Is that correct?

Dave
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Stefan Ohlsson on December 20, 2014, 11:56:53 am
I've recently adopted ImagePrint for my 7900, at least for b&w prints. I often like a slight warm tone, ~ 65/50 in the narrow gamut tint picker (little more for highlights, less for shadows).

I guess that when I do this, yellow ink being added and my permanence going down hill fast. Is that correct?

Dave

No, when you use a B&W profile (and you do, otherwise you couldn't use the narrow gamut tint picker), you never use the yellow ink. Bring out you loupe (x10 is a good enlargement) and check in a medium gray area. No yellow dots, but if you use Epson ABW you will see that their profiles use yellow ink.

The black inks aren't really neutral black, rather a warm tone black. So when you go for a warmer tone, you just don't use that much of the cyan and magenta inks. This limits the range of warm tones that you can obtain, so when you're choosing the maximum warm tone settings, you use very little or none of the C and M inks.

Best regards

Stefan
http://www.korta.nu/profiler
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: dchew on December 20, 2014, 12:27:51 pm
Thank you Stefan. I did what you suggested on a warm tone print and sure enough can see the cyan and magenta drops; no yellow. Nice to know.

Dave
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: deanwork on December 20, 2014, 05:37:49 pm
Yea the cyan is very stable, and the magenta not bad, it's the yellow that one should avoid.

If you are doing a strong sepia with the Epson inks you can't avoid using yellow, but for moderately warm or warm neutral prints you can.

Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: dwswager on February 18, 2015, 09:08:30 pm
How does one reconcile the reported 90-year longevity numbers for Exhibition Fiber with the knowledge that users of this paper report unstable white-point of the paper? Do longevity ratings, from Wilhelm or otherwise, not encompass fade of paper white values?

Wilhelm ratings for Exhibition Fiber with K3 inks (http://www.wilhelm-research.com/epson/WIR_Ep3880_2010_04_14.pdf) is about the best there is at 150 years for bare bulb while Aardenburg Imaging rates it very poorly (http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/cgi-bin/mrk/_4458ZGxkLzEqNzUzMjAwMDA5OTkwMTM0MjQxLyoxNg==) (membership required).

What this shows is there are vastly different testing methodologies and/or reading of the results.  I have a long history in the nuclear industry with a good understanding of environmental qualification and accelerated aging testing methodologies and limitations.  The real problem is that the effect rarely scales linearly and may have a threshold point below which there is little to no effect.   
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: MHMG on February 18, 2015, 10:33:01 pm

What this shows is there are vastly different testing methodologies and/or reading of the results.  I have a long history in the nuclear industry with a good understanding of environmental qualification and accelerated aging testing methodologies and limitations.  The real problem is that the effect rarely scales linearly and may have a threshold point below which there is little to no effect.    

AaI&A ratings are based on "little or no noticeable" visual changes in image appearance. WIR ratings are based on "easily noticeable" but perhaps tolerable visual appearance changes in the opinion of the typical consumer. AaI&A ratings are thus based on what the vast majority of humans can actually observe to be very subtle "barely noticeable" changes in image appearance, hence the print remains in excellent condition at that point in accumulated light exposure over time.  WIR ratings are based more subjectively on larger and much more easily noticeable changes that some will accept and others will reject at that rated point in time.  Yes, there are also significant differences in the WIR versus AaI&A physical testing methodologies as well, but when all the dust settles, not a fundamental failure in the scientific validity of accelerated aging studies.  Primarily, just a different interpretation of allowable change based on different choices of failure criteria for visually/intellectually acceptable changes in image appearance.


cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Sal Santamaura on March 16, 2015, 06:00:40 pm
I just decided to do what Mark has more integrity than to do himself.  ;D

Many of you are aware that Epson has begun delivering its P600 printer

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1091547-REG/epson_c11ce21201_surecolor_p600_inkjet_printer.html (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1091547-REG/epson_c11ce21201_surecolor_p600_inkjet_printer.html),

which uses a new, reportedly improved Ultrachrome HD ink set.  Anyone interested in the longevity of inkjet prints, and that includes everyone who's participated in this thread, realizes that thorough, independent testing is needed to establish a useful estimate of the actual life expectancy prints made with those inks will exhibit.  Mark has plans to perform that testing, but lacks sufficient funding to begin.  I've done my part with an initial contribution, but encourage other to jump in too and help things along financially.  See Mark's latest update on the Aardenburg Imaging & Archives home page:

http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/index.html (http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/index.html)

Thanks for any support you provide to this worthwhile project.

Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Mark D Segal on March 16, 2015, 07:03:30 pm
Thanks Sal. I have just done so.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: deanwork on March 16, 2015, 08:21:12 pm
One of the key aspects to the Aardenburg website that is way beyond what anyone else is doing for this kind of testing is the comparative color targets examples.

As you scroll down through the accumulated time and exposure to more and more light, you can actually see the the changes in ALL the colors individually as well as the white and black squares representing paper white and dmax. So you see exactly how yellows change, blues, greens, skin tones, etc, etc, from this paper to another paper and ink combination. Even if you don't want to think about years of display, these color target changes tell you a hellofalot.

If you want to see some real interesting comparisons, observe how any of the Fuji Chrystal Archive dyes react over time compared to any of the pigment printers. They go really whacky into totally different colors when regularly exposed to daylight.  Or how the HP pigments fade gradually over time in unison, while other pigment hues can shift quite differently from hue to hue ( yellow compared to cyan for instance in Epson insets, yellowing being in red as well.).

You can view this as a pdf easily and click on and off a layer in that pdf to see the before test, and any of the after exposure tests. It's very informative and I hope all the ink makers are studying it. Same with monochrome.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Sal Santamaura on April 04, 2015, 12:42:20 pm
Only $20 to go:

http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/index.html (http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/index.html)

Anyone? :)
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Paul Roark on April 04, 2015, 06:22:10 pm
Yes, let's keep the good info going as long as we can.

(BTW, anyone have some old 3880 chips they'd like to donate to me so I can set up a 3880 with a B&W inkset?)

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Stefan Ohlsson on April 05, 2015, 03:27:50 am
Wilhelm ratings for Exhibition Fiber with K3 inks (http://www.wilhelm-research.com/epson/WIR_Ep3880_2010_04_14.pdf) is about the best there is at 150 years for bare bulb while Aardenburg Imaging rates it very poorly (http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/cgi-bin/mrk/_4458ZGxkLzEqNzUzMjAwMDA5OTkwMTM0MjQxLyoxNg==)    

When we did a very unscientific test with some of the baryta papers (exposing them in a south-facing window), we saw that the Exhibition Fiber's white areas faded to a rather unpleasant yellow-green hue in a short time. Isn't that one of the reasons that there is a huge difference between the Wilhelm rating and Aardenburg's?
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: MHMG on April 05, 2015, 09:35:11 am
When we did a very unscientific test with some of the baryta papers (exposing them in a south-facing window), we saw that the Exhibition Fiber's white areas faded to a rather unpleasant yellow-green hue in a short time. Isn't that one of the reasons that there is a huge difference between the Wilhelm rating and Aardenburg's?

The Aardenburg testing methodology and Conservation Display criteria set flags the EEF media white discoloration issue and factors that problem into the overall lightfastness rating.  The WIR testing methodology and WIR 3.0 densitometric criteria set uses fewer color patches and a much more liberal media white discoloration allowance, and this in turn tends to give most modern ink jet  media with OBA fade and/or other media white stablity problems a "free pass" in WIR tests.  I described some of these testing differences in more detail earlier in this thread. I think, hopefully, this link will take you to that comment: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=95330.msg782143#msg782143

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: MHMG on April 05, 2015, 09:56:57 am
Only $20 to go:

http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/index.html (http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/index.html)

Anyone? :)

Thank you Sal, for the bump, and to all who have contributed. We reached (actually exceeded) the initial funding goal yesterday more than likely due to your thoughtful efforts on AaI&A's behalf. I will be updating the AaI&A home page status of the project and ordering the P600 later today. I should have the printer in hand by the end of the week. IT supplies seems to have it in stock with free shipping at the lowest price.

I will be starting round two of the funding effort (applying the excess funds from round 1) in order to expand the number of media that we will ultimately be able to test. For now, I'm going to start with two media, namely Hanemuhle Photo Rag Pearl, and Epson Exhibition WaterColor Paper. HNphPearl is a luster type non RC paper (one of my favorites I keep in stock) that will use the PK black, while EEW is a relatively recently introduced fine art matt paper with some "mould made" texture that will invoke the MK black. I have never tested it before, so I thought it would be a good pick. Both papers are OBA-free, so we should get a better handle on the ink/ink receptor coating performance without comfounding the result with OBA burnout problems.   I will pair the two samples made on the P600 side-by-side two samples with same paper batch but printed on an an Epson 3880.  Although the initial sample size in test will be small until I can build up more funds for testing additional media, this paired-comparison testing approach should begin to reveal by about mid summer whether the new UltraChrome HD ink set substantially outperforms the older K3 ink set with respect to light fade resistance... probably just in time for Epson's new printer model they have been teasing us about lately ;D

kind regards,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Stefan Ohlsson on April 06, 2015, 06:30:52 am
The Aardenburg testing methodology and Conservation Display criteria set flags the EEF media white discoloration issue and factors that problem into the overall lightfastness rating.  The WIR testing methodology and WIR 3.0 densitometric criteria set uses fewer color patches and a much more liberal media white discoloration allowance, and this in turn tends to give most modern ink jet  media with OBA fade and/or other media white stablity problems a "free pass" in WIR tests.  I described some of these testing differences in more detail earlier in this thread. I think, hopefully, this link will take you to that comment: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=95330.msg782143#msg782143

I must say that the white point changes makes a huge difference to the print, so to do a fade test that only focus on the changes of the ink is taking just one factor into the equation.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Stefan Ohlsson on April 06, 2015, 06:57:23 am
Although the initial sample size in test will be small until I can build up more funds for testing additional media, this paired-comparison testing approach should begin to reveal by about mid summer whether the new UltraChrome HD ink set substantially outperforms the older K3 ink set with respect to light fade resistance...
Would you like us to send some samples? I can print your test image on a Epson x900 printer and on the P600 at the same time, so that you could do a paired comparison on papers like Platine Fibre Rag.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: MHMG on April 06, 2015, 08:21:41 am
I must say that the white point changes makes a huge difference to the print, so to do a fade test that only focus on the changes of the ink is taking just one factor into the equation.

Agreed!! ;D.  Someone on LULA posted a link to a recent article making some WIR testing claims about the new inkset (which BTW I cannot find on the WIR website, but you can read the article here: http://blog.wppionline.com/2015/03/epson-p600-print-permanence/)

According to the article, "Wilhelm was commissioned by Epson to conduct longevity tests on the P600 running Epson’s UltraChrome HD pigmented ink sets. Three of the company’s fine art papers cracked the 200 year mark: Premium Luster, Exhibition Fiber and Ultra Smooth Fine Art Paper."

I get a real chuckle out of that 200 year lightfastness rating. The UltraSmooth Fine art, maybe, but no way for the Premium Luster or the EEF. Stefan, please read my comments to your other most recent post for more on this issue.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Mark D Segal on April 06, 2015, 08:46:56 am
Agreed!! ;D.  Someone on LULA posted a link to a recent article making some WIR testing claims about the new inkset (which BTW I cannot find on the WIR website, but you can read the article here: http://blog.wppionline.com/2015/03/epson-p600-print-permanence/)

According to the article, "Wilhelm was commissioned by Epson to conduct longevity tests on the P600 running Epson’s UltraChrome HD pigmented ink sets. Three of the company’s fine art papers cracked the 200 year mark: Premium Luster, Exhibition Fiber and Ultra Smooth Fine Art Paper."

I get a real chuckle out of that 200 year lightfastness rating. The UltraSmooth Fine art, maybe, but not no way for the Premium Luster or the EEF. Stefan, please read my comments to your other most recent post for more on this issue.

I read that article, and it mentions that the rating applies to prints under glass. So whatever the value of the rating, it applies only to that condition, and I'd ask Mark MHG to confirm whether with glass the rating proposed (using the WIR standard) in that article could apply for EPLPP and EEFP. That said, it's irrelevant to me because I store my prints in specially made clamshell boxes or books. Perhaps many others use dark storage too, why I mention this. But referring back to the question of what the standard means I think presents a far more fundamental conundrum. If a certain amount of shifting to yellow were included in the standard as "acceptable", I would consider the standard itself and all of these ratings to be useless for any paper that contains FBAs, OBAs, or for that matter any other chemicals that would cause the paper white to shift appearance over "X" number of years. The reason for this position simply is that I select the paper I use and adjust the tonality of my photographs to the appearance I want at the time I am processing the photo. That is the appearance I wish to see preserved, therefore the number of years it will likely remain preserved in that same state is the statistic of interest to me. Anything else is that much less useful.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: MHMG on April 06, 2015, 08:48:53 am
Would you like us to send some samples? I can print your test image on a Epson x900 printer and on the P600 at the same time, so that you could do a paired comparison on papers like Platine Fibre Rag.

Stefan, thank you for the offer. Perhaps sometime later this year. There's a couple of factors holding me back at the moment. First, it costs AaI&A about $1200 to conduct a two year 100 megalux hour light fade test on a single sample. I need to raise more funding to add more samples into test at this time.  This cost of a single test light fade test may shock some folks, but rigorous NIST traceable instrumented light fade tests are not cheap. As it is AaI&A has by far the lowest costs in the industry, mainly because I personally subsidize all of the AaI&A tests with a lot (and I mean a lot ;D) of free labor). Second, I'm currently redesigning the target page to include more replicate targets that I will be using in a more advanced version of the current AaI&A light fade test in  the near future. The test will consist of the the same 30 patch color set, but duplicate samples will be tested, and pulled for dark storage after specific light exposure intervals, then remeasured after various time intervals. These light+dark measurements will then be plotted graphically in the AaI&A test reports along with the measurements made right after exposure and, of course, compared against the control (no light exposure + dark storage) sample.

I came to the conclusion this past year after looking at many of the "retired" light fade test samples, that OBA containing papers have an additional post exposure dark staining problem that all of the testing labs (AaI&A included) have been underreporting. OBA-free samples do not appear to have the problem.  And it's clear to me now that I have to do a better job of letting folks differentiate between papers that appear to test well in direct light fade exposure but then may later increase in media staining when removed from the light and stored in a dark or low intensity storage area.

I'm describing the kind of print permanence research AaI&A does best. I don't believe that manufacturer sponsored fee-for-service testing contracts or licensed product "certifications"  are the way to fund this research for obvious reasons.

best,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Mark D Segal on April 06, 2015, 09:13:56 am
............ I don't believe that manufacturer sponsored fee-for-service testing contracts or licensed product "certifications"  are the way to fund this research for obvious reasons.

best,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com


No question it can be a slippery slope for what you say are obvious reasons. I would, however, add just three observations: (1) exactly because there is no ISO standard, the field is all the more open for more than one approach, each addressing somewhat different objectives; (2) because of this, the industry would actually look a lot better in the eyes of interested consumers if it were to admit this fact by supporting more than one testing methodology even though results will differ between approaches because they are measuring different things in different ways; and (3) if the industry were to assume this rather more enlightened approach, they should pay fees for service to support the costs of all this work, in return for which they would be allowed to quote results without there being a "licensed certification", which latter strikes me as a bit of an artifact absent an ISO standard against which to certify. The report is its own "certification". 
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: MHMG on April 06, 2015, 09:47:31 am
I read that article, and it mentions that the rating applies to prints under glass. So whatever the value of the rating, it applies only to that condition, and I'd ask Mark MHG to confirm whether with glass the rating proposed (using the WIR standard) in that article could apply for EPLPP and EEFP.

Well, my bad...when I said "no way" for EEF and Premium luster on 200 year display rating, I did have in mind the AaI&A Conservation Display Criteria which keeps the allowable changes to "little or no noticeable" visually observed change under "single stimulus" viewing condition (i.e, the print is being judged by itself without a control print in perfect condition sitting right beside it). EEF won't make it because of the OBA burnout and additional media yellowing that you might be able to avoid under full UV blocking glazing or ample dark storage, but the UV block or ample dark storage isn't part of that WIR prediction, and anyway, it  would defeat the visual magic of EEF's bright white appearance right on day one if UV block glazing were used.  Premium Luster, has a bit of a different problem. Even though it has relatively low OBA content, it won't make it that long due the post exposure dark staining phenomenon I described earlier.  More research is needed into how much initial light exposure kicks off this dark storage problem, but it's certainly far far less than 400 megalux hours of pre-exposure prior to dark storage (400 megalux hours is how much light exposure would be needed to reach the WIR 200+ display year rating).

AaI&A's Conservation display rating (CDR) is indeed a pretty tough standard, far tougher than the WIR criteria set, for the allowable amount of measurable fade, but IMHO, it is more appropriate for fine art prints. Some of today's pigmented ink/stable-media-white point systems do very well when rated against this AaI&A CDR set of criteria, so that's the best argument I can give for industry critics who might argue it's unrealistic. I anticipate the P600's UCHD ink set combined with a wise media choice is indeed going to turn in some impressive results, but we need to do the test ;)  

In contrast, WIR criteria were derived for consumer photos, so sure, there will be "acceptable" 200 year prints around in the future, but with those more liberal fade/discoloration tolerances, printmakers don't need expensive cotton rag papers and pigmented inks to have functional human-readable images a hundred or two hundred years into the future. Even acid-choked lignin-filled Newsprint and cheap litho inks will easily make it that long if kept primarily in dark storage under relatively cool and dry environmental conditions, and we also accept a large amount of visual appearance changes over the years.

Just this past weekend I was going through a shoe box full of old color photos that was given to me by another family member. The photos are color chromogenic prints dating back to the early 1960s, so some are now over 50 years old. That era of dye-based color photography is quite fugitive and would be rated very poorly even by WIR criteria.  Every one of these photos has very noticeable fade, but with a little digital restoration most of the information content should be easily retrieved. I would argue that for consumer photos, the media itself serves primarily as an "image storage file" and, unlike fine prints, doesn't necessarily have much artifactual value.  If we can extract useful image information content from that print 50, 100, or 200 years from now, then that consumer photo print has served its primary purpose. My wife is thrilled to see these images of her parents, brother, and grandparents in newly restored digital color. The original prints will be catalogued and stored optimally in my cold storage freezer(s) from now on, because to me, they do have remaining historic value as traditional color photos of that era even in their currently faded condition.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
 
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: MHMG on April 06, 2015, 10:25:37 am
...I would, however, add just three observations: (1) exactly because there is no ISO standard...

Mark, as you know, the AaI&A light fade tests reports both I* metric and Delta E measurements. Both are open source metrics, nothing proprietary there. The Conservation Display rating was developed for the fine art print community, but it works justifiably for consumer photo print standards as well.  Without going into too much detail, it solves one of the ISO committee's big problems by confining the single endpoint analysis needed for a simple consumer rating to only the linear initial response of a product's full fading curve. If you allow more liberal fade, then non linear fading characteristics comes into the mix, and products start to get misranked.

I would be more than happy to help WIR, IPI, or any other lab out there adopt the AaI&A light fade testing protocol. Print quality and permanence research is really what motivates me, not financial gain from the commercialization of the AaI&A test methods.   Imagine if WIR, AaI&A, and IPI agreed to start running the same testing method.  We'd have an ISO specification in no time... Just sayin'  :)

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: Mark D Segal on April 06, 2015, 12:10:44 pm
Yes Mark, that is indeed another approach, but given how difficult it has been to achieve an industry consensus, my mind was wandering in the direction of encouraging variety to live and thrive until the time comes that the various actors decide to converge on the definitions and a methodology.
Title: Re: archival properties - paper ink permanence info
Post by: MHMG on April 06, 2015, 01:03:26 pm
Yes Mark, that is indeed another approach, but given how difficult it has been to achieve an industry consensus, my mind was wandering in the direction of encouraging variety to live and thrive until the time comes that the various actors decide to converge on the definitions and a methodology.

I think we have witnessed that "variety" for the last 15 years.  It hasn't been pretty.  Not all companies make lightfastness claims using the WIR test method. Some go to IPI (then reinterpret the IPI findings because the IPI reports must be held confidential). Others cite the UK Fine Art Trade Guild "blue wool 6" pass/fail methodology.  Some (e.g., Hahnemuhle) also cite LNE ratings in Europe (I have no clue what LNE's test method is), etc.

All modesty aside, AaI&A has the only test method I'm aware of in the world right now that doesn't misrank complex multi-channel inkjet systems. Even for companies reporting colorimetric rather than densitometric data using the various flavors of Delta E, misranking of the product performance occurs because color difference equations don't weight the importance of low chroma colors to real scenes. They evaluate color out of actual scene context which is fine for paint chips and textiles but not for real photographs. Nor do color difference models measure image contrast which is an essential visual parameter to track if one is trying to judge the visuaul impact of fading on real images.  

I'm not sure what's keeping WIR or others from switching to the I* Metric. It works great. ;) That said, it certainly hasn't helped that I don't have the travel budget to go promote the I* metric at the various color science and imaging conferences, or within the ISO or ASTM or other graphic arts industry groups.  I guess the ISO committee is going to have to come to me ::)

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com