Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: RikkFlohr on November 19, 2014, 12:06:19 am

Title: Lightroom 5.7 is released
Post by: RikkFlohr on November 19, 2014, 12:06:19 am
Adobe released Lightroom version 5.7 this evening.  New Camera Support, Tethering Support, Lens Profiles, Bug Fixes and Lightroom mobile/web enhancements are included. Details can be found here: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2014/11/lightroom-5-7-now-available.html
Title: Re: Lightroom 5.7 is released
Post by: phila on November 19, 2014, 03:36:33 am
Although I don't see it mentioned in the Release Notes, the Canon 16-35f4L profile bug has been fixed.   :D
Title: Re: Lightroom 5.7 is released
Post by: Simon Garrett on November 19, 2014, 06:51:53 am
Given that it's 7 weeks since Adobe put out the ACR 8.7 Release Candidate, I would imagine that they must have had serious unexpected problems with it. 

After all, a "Release Candidate" means that it is thought to be perfect, and there is the expectation that it probably won't require any change before full release.  Maybe just a quick test on a larger range of machines in case of very minor issues. 

By contrast, a beta product may be functionally incomplete, may well have bugs and requires substantial further testing. 

Or is "Release Candidate" Adobe spin for "beta version"?
Title: Re: Lightroom 5.7 is released
Post by: stamper on November 19, 2014, 08:01:12 am
I have downloaded the windows version and it is faster than the previous version which wasn't a slouch on my windows 7 Pro Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-3770 CPU@ 3.4GHz machine with 32GB of ram. Thanks Adobe. :)
Title: Re: Lightroom 5.7 is released
Post by: Dan Glynhampton on November 19, 2014, 08:44:52 am
Given that it's 7 weeks since Adobe put out the ACR 8.7 Release Candidate, I would imagine that they must have had serious unexpected problems with it.

Or perhaps, noticing that the Canon 7D Mk2 was about to be released, they decided to hold off a few weeks so they could include support for it rather than endure the whining of users who bought the camera but couldn't open the raw files in Lightroom until version 5.8 (or 6.0, whichever comes next)?

I guess we'll never know, and it doesn't really matter, it's here now...
Title: Re: Lightroom 5.7 is released
Post by: AFairley on November 19, 2014, 09:28:10 am
Still waiting for Fujifilm X-Trans demosaicing equal to third party solutions.....
Title: Re: Lightroom 5.7 is released
Post by: PhotoEcosse on November 19, 2014, 09:52:57 am
Downloaded it with no problem.

It then asked for ACR 8.7 - so I download that as well. No problem.

Nice seamless upgrades.
Title: Re: Lightroom 5.7 is released
Post by: rdonson on November 20, 2014, 09:03:01 am
Still waiting for Fujifilm X-Trans demosaicing equal to third party solutions.....

Just curious.  What other third party solution do you have that is better?  What do you find is better in that solution?  I have an X-T1 and after setting up sharpening per Pete Bridgwood's suggestions I've been very happy with LR results.
Title: Re: Lightroom 5.7 is released
Post by: deejjjaaaa on November 20, 2014, 09:10:51 am
Just curious.  What other third party solution do you have that is better? 

typically people name 3 converters for "x-trans" = (I am not implying anything by the order here) = Iridient Rawdeveloper, C1 and PhotoNinja
Title: Re: Lightroom 5.7 is released
Post by: AFairley on November 20, 2014, 09:30:26 am
Just curious.  What other third party solution do you have that is better?  What do you find is better in that solution?  I have an X-T1 and after setting up sharpening per Pete Bridgwood's suggestions I've been very happy with LR results.

I've posted on this in Lula and others have posted examples in DPR.  Haloing on high contrast edges.  Bridgewood's settings help but do not solve the problem.  I am using Photo Ninja which smokes LR, but then have to use LR to refine development and do local adjustments.
Title: Re: Lightroom 5.7 is released
Post by: rdonson on November 20, 2014, 11:19:59 am
I've posted on this in Lula and others have posted examples in DPR.  Haloing on high contrast edges.  Bridgewood's settings help but do not solve the problem.  I am using Photo Ninja which smokes LR, but then have to use LR to refine development and do local adjustments.

Thanks for the response, its very helpful.  Which Camera Calibration Profile are you using in LR?  I don't see any issues using the Fuji Provia profile.
Title: Re: Lightroom 5.7 is released
Post by: Berliner on November 20, 2014, 03:00:54 pm
Or is "Release Candidate" Adobe spin for "beta version"?

I think it is.

Have you seen anything from Adobe that is called "beta"?
Title: Re: Lightroom 5.7 is released
Post by: Rhossydd on November 20, 2014, 04:12:21 pm
Have you seen anything from Adobe that is called "beta"?
Yes, there have been plenty of Lightroom Betas.
Look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop_Lightroom for details.
Title: Re: Lightroom 5.7 is released
Post by: Berliner on November 21, 2014, 06:28:00 am
Alright :)

They seem to have betas for full release numbers, and call it RC for dot releases.
Title: Re: Lightroom 5.7 is released
Post by: Denis de Gannes on November 21, 2014, 06:34:29 am
Alright :)

They seem to have betas for full release numbers, and call it RC for dot releases.
Quite, but then dot releases usually only have new camera support and bug fixes.
Title: Re: Lightroom 5.7 is released
Post by: RikkFlohr on November 21, 2014, 07:57:06 am
Industry standard term definitions for Release Candidate and Beta are here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle
Title: Re: Lightroom 5.7 is released
Post by: Damon Lynch on November 22, 2014, 04:05:38 am
Still waiting for Fujifilm X-Trans demosaicing equal to third party solutions.....

I found the thoughts on this topic shared by DP Review employee Mark Banas here (http://www.dpreview.com/articles/0333481162/adobe-camera-raw-lightroom-and-dng-converter-add-eos-7d-ii-x100t-g7-x-nx1-and-lx100-support#comments) to be insightful (see reply to "missing support for the Sigma Merrill cameras"). I suspect he's right in both of his points (3rd party vs. Adobe support and the cost of getting it right).
Title: Re: Lightroom 5.7 is released
Post by: Denis de Gannes on November 22, 2014, 08:01:24 am
I agree Mark Banas's remarks are spot on.
Title: Re: Lightroom 5.7 is released
Post by: mac_paolo on November 22, 2014, 08:09:21 am
Given that it's 7 weeks since Adobe put out the ACR 8.7 Release Candidate, I would imagine that they must have had serious unexpected problems with it.
ACR was on RC, not Lightroom.
The latter is much more than camera support and yes, taking care of a complex software takes time.
The choice of releasing both Lightroom and ACR update at the same delays ACR only.