Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: seamus finn on November 17, 2014, 12:29:12 pm

Title: Walled In
Post by: seamus finn on November 17, 2014, 12:29:12 pm
-

Title: Re: Walled In
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 17, 2014, 01:12:03 pm
It took me several minutes until I noticed the corner figure. A very interesting photograph, with unusual, but successful, extreme corner point of interest.  Almost abstract, juxtaposition of a single round bright color dot and multitude of rectangles on a muted and bleak background. With a dash of metaphorical (walled door).
Title: Re: Walled In
Post by: seamus finn on November 17, 2014, 02:04:39 pm
That's an extremely perceptive comment,  Slobodan, and I thank you for it.

By the way, you're back to your very best critique persona: when I see your name coming up here, I know one of two things - it's either going to be a stunning, colour architectural delight or a very intelligent  assessment of a picture.  Not for you the casual +1 . As we say in Ireland -more power to your elbow!

I've been trawling your website - some wonderful stuff there.
Title: Re: Walled In
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 17, 2014, 02:20:18 pm
Thank, Seamus.

Speaking of Ireland... I am currently watching a period mob drama series on Netfilx, Peaky Blinders, situated in Birmingham, but a lot of references to Ireland (not the least important of which is Irish whiskey they often drink). Great plot, but also fantastic photography. Highly recommended. By the way, that wall of yours, shrouded in early 20th century industrial smog, blackened by the coal deposits, would be a great prop for the series.
Title: Re: Walled In
Post by: seamus finn on November 17, 2014, 02:41:31 pm
Slobodan,

I'm on Netflix myself, but didn't know about that series. Something to look forward to. Thanks for the tip.

As for the wall, it's in Brisbane, and as for Irish whiskey, after you've had a certain amount of it, don't go posting here - keep a clear head and go to bed. If the picture is any good, it'll still be good in the morning - until somebody such as yourself tears it apart!
 
Title: Re: Walled In
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 17, 2014, 09:21:58 pm
Come to think of it... posting pictures and critiquing them... Seems such an exercise in frustration. Very few people bother to go beyond a casual glance or a trite comment. But... post a totally ILLUSORY question, the likes of "which camera will help me get such beautiful color," and instead of a simple, single, one-word answer ("none"), they'd go on and on, for a dozen of pages, hundreds of posts and thousands of views!?
Title: Re: Walled In
Post by: shawnino on November 18, 2014, 09:13:18 am
I liked the colouring but didn't "get it" until Slobodan told me where to look.
I should have been more patient.
Now I really like it.
Title: Re: Walled In
Post by: francois on November 18, 2014, 09:23:56 am
It also took me a few seconds before I spotted the person seated. This is a powerful photo!
Bravo
Title: Re: Walled In
Post by: seamus finn on November 18, 2014, 10:56:47 am
It also took me a few seconds before I spotted the person seated. This is a powerful photo!
Bravo

There are two of them!
Title: Re: Walled In
Post by: RSL on November 18, 2014, 11:15:44 am
Beautiful, Seamus. Abandoned structures like this one are fascinating to me, and the placement of the people is exactly right. Bravo!
Title: Re: Walled In
Post by: francois on November 18, 2014, 11:20:29 am
There are two of them!
I m issed the second one on my MacBook display but now that I'm looking at your photo on my 30" (and with my reading glasses), the second person is obvious.
Title: Re: Walled In
Post by: stamper on November 18, 2014, 11:26:20 am
I saw the first one right away but not the second. A very likeable and well processed image. I find that places like this are usually secured and difficult to enter and if you do get in then it could be a drug den or a drink den.
Title: Re: Walled In
Post by: petermfiore on November 21, 2014, 07:55:30 am
A Ben Shahn in the making...Great shot.


Peter
Title: Re: Walled In
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 21, 2014, 10:10:03 am
It's awfully difficult to come up with anything more than +1 when Slobodan has already commented.
I'll just say that it's a stunning image, and I did spot the two corner figures before reading the comments.

This is one of your best, IMHO, Seamus!
Title: Re: Walled In
Post by: seamus finn on November 22, 2014, 12:34:08 pm

Thanks for all the positive comments - I'm really chuffed by the reaction.
Title: Re: Walled In
Post by: seamus finn on November 22, 2014, 12:40:51 pm
Thank, Seamus.

Speaking of Ireland... I am currently watching a period mob drama series on Netfilx, Peaky Blinders, situated in Birmingham, but a lot of references to Ireland (not the least important of which is Irish whiskey they often drink). Great plot, but also fantastic photography. Highly recommended. By the way, that wall of yours, shrouded in early 20th century industrial smog, blackened by the coal deposits, would be a great prop for the series.

Slobodan,

 Unfortunately, Peaky Blinders is not available on Netflix Ireland, even though its main character is an Irish actor.