Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: wagabundo on November 17, 2014, 03:49:12 am

Title: Looking for FX 35mm focal lenght
Post by: wagabundo on November 17, 2014, 03:49:12 am
Hi

Soon I would be new owner of 645df (P25+, 80mm), previously I was using 35mm on the 5DmkII. I really like this focal lenght.

80mm after small crop is about 57mm, that's why I'm looking for a second lens.

the selection of wide lenses is not huge.

Could you advice what should I choose ?

1) 45mm (best one in my opinion)
2) 35mm (variable quality of sharpness)
3) or maybe fisheye 24mm ? high versatility, defishing, fisheye, crop. I read that this lens is very sharp.
4) 28mm (too expensive..)

Thx!
Paul
Title: Re: Looking for FX 35mm focal lenght
Post by: Paul2660 on November 17, 2014, 08:05:18 am
A medium format 35mm lens has a eqvilant of around 24mm in a full frame DSLR and the 55mm medium format lens will be close to 35mm in a full frame DSLR but just a bit past.   A 80mm lens in medium format is considered a normal view as a 50mm lens is with a full frame DSLR.

Paul
Title: Re: Looking for FX 35mm focal lenght
Post by: araucaria on November 17, 2014, 08:06:19 am
The 55 2.8 seems to be a good permformer and very popular, even the old manual focus version.
Title: Re: Looking for FX 35mm focal lenght
Post by: Doug Peterson on November 17, 2014, 11:07:54 am
Focal Length Conversion Visualizer (https://digitaltransitions.com/page/tech-camera-visualizers)
Title: Re: Looking for FX 35mm focal lenght
Post by: wagabundo on November 18, 2014, 06:58:51 am
my mistake, the point of my topic should be not how to find right focal length, but after which of these lenses, can I expect the best quality? I don't need to have exactly 35mm, I can be around that.

in this context, for example: should I buy 45mm or better would be to buy fisheye (defishing + crop)

which of these lenses give me the best quality around my favorite focal length?
Title: Re: Looking for FX 35mm focal lenght
Post by: Ken R on November 18, 2014, 07:13:53 am
my mistake, the point of my topic should be not how to find right focal length, but after which of these lenses, can I expect the best quality? I don't need to have exactly 35mm, I can be around that.

in this context, for example: should I buy 45mm or better would be to buy fisheye (defishing + crop)

which of these lenses give me the best quality around my favorite focal length?


Probably the 35. None is stellar.
Title: Re: Looking for FX 35mm focal lenght
Post by: Ken R on November 18, 2014, 07:16:06 am
Also, Read THIS (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/lens-accessory-reviews/15710-mamiya-lens-overview.html) great overview of most of the Mamiya 645 lenses.
Title: Re: Looking for FX 35mm focal lenght
Post by: Paul2660 on November 18, 2014, 08:53:09 am
Probably the 35. None is stellar.

I agree with Ken. Sadly Mamiya is a bit weak on the wide side. The 28mm is great on center but sides tend to show considerable issues and its a pain to filter, if you use filters. The 35 can be good but seems to vary a lot by sample. The newer D version is a re-badged 35AF. Phase claims that better QA is demonstrated during manufacturing. For the extra in price I would look for a used one.

The new 45mm D seems to be a good lens and I have read good reviews on it.

The old 55 AF IS EXCELLENT.  But it has a very shallow DOF.   It's light weight and very sharp.  The much improved 55 LS is very good also.

The lack of good wides is the main reason for my move to a tech camera.

Paul
Title: Re: Looking for FX 35mm focal lenght
Post by: wagabundo on November 18, 2014, 09:20:54 am
is there any optical difference between the old 45mm AF and a new one 45mm D ?
Title: Re: Looking for FX 35mm focal lenght
Post by: Paul2660 on November 18, 2014, 10:48:40 am
is there any optical difference between the old 45mm AF and a new one 45mm D ?

Yes, I believe there is.  The older 45 AF was one of the weaker lenses, IMO.  The newer D seems to have a much better reputation and from the examples and tests I have viewed, it's a better lens.  

They also reworked the chassis of the lens and gave it the MF-AF clutch, like they did the 80mm.  

Edit:  I am basing this on a 60 or 80 MP sensor. With a 39mp or small you will see better results with the Mamiya wides.

Here is one on ebay in the Mamiya label., same lens as the Phase One just different packaging and label.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mamiya-645-AFD-III-AFD-II-AFD-DF-Phase-One-45mm-2-8-D-lens-/231216896939 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mamiya-645-AFD-III-AFD-II-AFD-DF-Phase-One-45mm-2-8-D-lens-/231216896939)

Paul