Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: raymond bleesz on November 15, 2014, 10:23:49 am
-
Using a D600 and a GH3, and mostly interested in obtaining BW printed results, I am asking for forum input re: the plus or minus benefits in shooting in these two modes, knowing that in shooting camera raw color, I can have both color and bw as compared to shooting the programmed monochrome which of course does not offer the color?
The end result, the file with which one prints from, is there a difference in optimum results?? Is there more PS advantages in one or the other?
Raymond
-
To me there is really only one way to proceed with this - shoot in Raw.
Irrespective of whether you merely use Lightroom's mono conversion facility or, alternatively, use a program such as Nik's Silver EfexPro2 from within Lightroom, having the full colour channel data available is intrinsically crucial to allowing you the full scope of mono conversion.
In analogue terms, it is like having an almost-infinite number of colour filters to put in front of the lens when shooting B&W film.
-
Thank you, --your response was clear and specific----it is as I thought but wanted confirmation---
-
With the GH3 you can set up for RAW + JPEG capture, use a monochrome tonal profile and get all the benefits of RAW while being able to see monochrome in the EVF. In post you can either toss the JPEGs or, if you like their tonality, use 'em as a guide for your RAW processing.
-Dave-
-
One word of caution with the GH3 - I have a GH2. If you pull down the color sliders too far in the Lr HSL/BW panel you may wind up with extreme noise in one color. This usually happens to skies if I pull the blue slider way down to try and darken the sky and bring up cloud contrast. When this grain appears, it looks rather streaky. I refer to it as "rain grain" and watch for it any time I am working with black and white skies. The only solution is to back off a bit on the individual slider and find another way to alter the contrast.
The GH3 may not be as subject to this with it newer imager. I can't say that Silver Efex is better or worse in this regard though Silver Efex' 'structure' adjustment will do an excellent job of enhancing local contrast. It's kind of like clarity on steroids and does wonders on clouds.