Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: uintaangler on November 13, 2014, 09:31:56 am

Title: Framing Canvas Prints?
Post by: uintaangler on November 13, 2014, 09:31:56 am
I have been making a few prints on Breathing Color Lyve Matte Canvas paper and a few of them have come out quite nice, suitable for framing
I am using an Epson 4900, so we are talking about 17" wide prints, too narrow for doing any kind of gallery wrap
Has anybody had experience with framing Matte canvas prints under glass?
Thanks,
Bob
Title: Re: Framing Canvas Prints?
Post by: I.T. Supplies on November 13, 2014, 10:07:17 am
You can surely do a gallery wrap with a 17" image.  As long as the other direction is longer than 8", you will be fine.  Bars come in 8" and larger (depending on the type of wrap you want to create; Pro (4" extra added to image) or Standard (3" extra added to image)), Pro bars go up to 60" and Standard bars go up to 24".  I've personally done a wrap that was 8"x10" (11"x13" print) with no problem.

I've heard very few people do the glass framing process.  Most of them use the matte finish and apply matte coating so that it won't add extra shine to the view on top of the glass shine.
Title: Re: Framing Canvas Prints?
Post by: Justan on November 13, 2014, 10:50:17 am
Many use a coating on the back called Miracle Muck to bond canvas to a rigid substrate such as gator board or Mighty Core. Often, rather than using glass, a coating is applied on the front such as Timeless or Glamour 2. Do a search for any of the keywords noted and you will find a lot of information.

You can also mount the canvas to foam core add mattes to the front plus put a glazing over the front. In all instances using canvas for the image can produce great results.
Title: Re: Framing Canvas Prints?
Post by: Ken Doo on November 13, 2014, 11:29:59 am
Miracle Muck seems to be the favored adhesive for canvas onto gator and other hard substrates, but if you want to simply try, you can also use BC's Glamour II (undiluted) similarly as an adhesive to mount your canvas in preparation for framing.

 ;) ken
Title: Re: Framing Canvas Prints?
Post by: davidh202 on November 13, 2014, 11:18:34 pm
The whole purpose of using canvas, whether or not you do a wrap, or mount to a substrate, or use regular stretchers and a frame, is to eliminate the need for, and reflections of glass, and show the texture like a painting would! You completely loose the beauty of the canvas texture under glass and you might as well just print on any oft he regular surface papers. ;-)
Title: Re: Framing Canvas Prints?
Post by: jferrari on November 13, 2014, 11:24:27 pm
The whole purpose of using canvas, whether or not you do a wrap, or mount to a substrate, or use regular stretchers and a frame, is to eliminate the need for, and reflections of glass, and show the texture like a painting would! You completely lose the beauty of the canvas texture under glass and you might as well just print on any oft he regular surface papers. ;-)
I second this emotion. This is how I make my living - displaying canvas sans glass.    - Jim
Title: Re: Framing Canvas Prints?
Post by: uintaangler on November 13, 2014, 11:28:19 pm
I second this emotion. This is how I make my living - displaying canvas sans glass.    - Jim

Guys, I get the point, but I am at a loss trying to envision what the end product looks like with a frame and no glass ???
So please help me here and explain in more detail what you are suggesting.
Thanks.
Title: Re: Framing Canvas Prints?
Post by: davidh202 on November 14, 2014, 12:01:38 am
Just mount the canvas  (photo),  and put any frame you desire around it, as you would frame a regular painting... no glass on it -doesn't need it!
Title: Re: Framing Canvas Prints?
Post by: uintaangler on November 14, 2014, 12:03:47 am
Just mount the canvas  (photo),  and put any frame you desire around it, as you would frame a regular painting... no glass on it -doesn't need it!

If done that way, am I correct in assuming that the matte ink requires some sort of protective coating?
Title: Re: Framing Canvas Prints?
Post by: jferrari on November 14, 2014, 12:05:08 am
Bob, this is my process:


Attached is a picture of a rusty tricycle. This print also includes a faux mat for a more traditional look.
Title: Re: Framing Canvas Prints?
Post by: uintaangler on November 14, 2014, 12:11:31 am
Thanks
Title: Re: Framing Canvas Prints?
Post by: ripgriffith on November 14, 2014, 02:21:03 am
Guys, I get the point, but I am at a loss trying to envision what the end product looks like with a frame and no glass ???
I hate to state the obvious, but just go look at  a framed painting.
Title: Re: Framing Canvas Prints?
Post by: Ken Doo on November 14, 2014, 08:58:25 am
Yes.  After printing, coat your canvas with a sealant like Glamour II or Timeless.  This provides all the protection your canvas needs prior to stretching or display.  If you want to frame canvas, use a floater frame or a traditional frame. No glass.  This video is old, but you'll get the idea of how well Glamour II can protect your canvas.

http://youtu.be/zgLC3HNEXu8

 :)  ken
Title: Re: Framing Canvas Prints?
Post by: uintaangler on November 14, 2014, 09:08:17 am
I hate to state the obvious, but just go look at  a framed painting.


 :o
Title: Re: Framing Canvas Prints?
Post by: Stephen Girimont on November 14, 2014, 08:22:20 pm
They look like this (except no glass):

(http://theintimatelandscape.com/shared_images/This_is_NOT_a_Painting-sm.jpg)
Title: Re: Framing Canvas Prints?
Post by: uintaangler on November 14, 2014, 10:33:17 pm
Nice!