Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape Photography Locations => Topic started by: Khurram on December 08, 2005, 12:15:32 pm

Title: Big Sur Accomodations
Post by: Khurram on December 08, 2005, 12:15:32 pm
I just wanted to get some advice on where to stay at Big Sur.  I looked into the River Inn, which is reasonably priced but has limited facilitities.

Would appreciate some feedback on some other accomodations in Big Sur, as well as in the Monteray and Carmel area (how far are they from Big Sur?)
Title: Big Sur Accomodations
Post by: Mark Graf on December 08, 2005, 12:50:44 pm
Quote
I just wanted to get some advice on where to stay at Big Sur.  I looked into the River Inn, which is reasonably priced but has limited facilitities.

Would appreciate some feedback on some other accomodations in Big Sur, as well as in the Monteray and Carmel area (how far are they from Big Sur?)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=53051\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It has been a few years, but I stayed at what I think was a Best Western in Carmel, and it seemed like the perfect home base for Big Sur - you are right there.   Very close to Point Lobos as well.   You might be able to find more economical accomodations in Monterrey though, but you will have a bit more of a drive to deal with.

It is a beautiful area, I have been wanting to go back and reshoot a lot.   So I am looking foward to responses here as I may pick up some better ideas as well for my return visit someday.

Mark
Title: Big Sur Accomodations
Post by: Paul Sumi on December 08, 2005, 02:30:38 pm
For general information, one of my favorite Big Sur resources:

http://jrabold.net/bigsur/ (http://jrabold.net/bigsur/)

Paul
Title: Big Sur Accomodations
Post by: Khurram on December 08, 2005, 07:50:07 pm
Paul/Mark, thanks for the suggestions
Title: Big Sur Accomodations
Post by: rabidog on December 26, 2005, 10:45:11 pm
I'm sorry I can't remember the name, but I believe there is a small Inn facing a wide creek with wooden chairs sitting IN the creek bed (shallow water).  I had only stopped by for breakfast (fabulous), but this place was adorable and a must-see!  This was about five years ago, and I remember it being directly off Route 1 (either that, or I'd seen clear signs on Route 1).  Who knows, may be the River Inn I'm thinking of!
Title: Big Sur Accomodations
Post by: aross007 on January 03, 2006, 02:19:45 pm
Khurram,

You don't specify a price range, but if you have plenty of money, The Ventana Inn
and the Post Ranch are two of the best hotels in the United States - a quick look at the Ventana Web site shows a two night photography package deal for only $1500. (and it's the cheaper of the two.)  The River Inn is the one that rabidog refers too, although with the current rain situation, the wooden chairs aren't in the creek, they are either in the ocean or in the barn.  It is 26 miles from Carmel to Big Sur (the Big Sur Marathon takes the whole route.)  There are literally dozens of hotels in Carmel, and more in Monterey, which is another 5 miles north.  Photo opportunities exist for the whole route, so staying in Carmel doesn't really put you 26 miles form the action.

Alan