Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RobbieV on November 10, 2014, 10:09:25 pm

Title: Misty morning off Nassagaweya
Post by: RobbieV on November 10, 2014, 10:09:25 pm
.

(https://gp1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/806614/photos/photos.500px.net/89359441/fad352d684bea3e018bd73ee09fe4ae32a8adf0e/2048.jpg)

Title: Re: Misty morning off Nassagaweya
Post by: francois on November 11, 2014, 09:47:33 am
I like it a lot. Initially, I found it cluttered but the strong elements like the tree, the moss-covered rock and the stream easily win over the rest to give a very pleasant image.
Title: Re: Misty morning off Nassagaweya
Post by: luxborealis on November 15, 2014, 08:17:44 pm
Nassagaweya is definitely a favourite location. Did you approach from Walker's Line, Crawford Lake or Rattlesnake Point?

Nice photo with good detail and dynamic range. I find the title a bit of a misnomer, though, as there is barely a hint of mist. You are setting up an expectation that is not fulfilled by the photograph.

I don't mean to be harsh, but I also find the composition rather direct and unimaginative with the central placement of the cascade rather formally framed by rock and trees.

I love the receding forest along the top and I would think something more could be done to create a three-dimensional dynamic with the trees, rocks, cascade and forest.