Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: dreed on November 09, 2014, 10:14:43 am

Title: Milford Sound - Challenging location - best representation?
Post by: dreed on November 09, 2014, 10:14:43 am
On a recent trip I spent a short while at Milford Sound during the middle of the day. It is a challenging location due to the almost always present clouds plus rain (annual rainfall is around 7 meters.) Thus it was, I was standing there in the rain, camera, tripod, umbrella and wishing I had a third arm. Anyway, Along with the normal single shot frames of Milford Sound (from the shore), I did half a dozen panoramas, of which these three are the best.

My dilemma is that I didn't capture each one the same, so that the one with the more dramatic clouds has less foreground.

So I'm curious for some feedback. Which works the best? And do any of them require different processing to enhance something? (I've thrown in a quick B&W conversion.)
Title: Re: Milford Sound - Challenging location - best representation?
Post by: shawnino on November 09, 2014, 10:33:12 am
The third one for me.
I like the wider angle of view and I think the first one is a touch dark--unless that was what you were after, in which case it's #1...

Nice work.
Title: Re: Milford Sound - Challenging location - best representation?
Post by: RSL on November 09, 2014, 10:40:57 am
Hi Dreed, My first reaction was: go with the B&W of #2, which solves a bunch of problems. But after flipping back and forth a few times, I find I like color version #3 best. The problem with the B&W is that you subdue the all-important tree stage left. Raising the mountains to the top of the frame as you did in #3 gives the whole thing an ominous feel, and the tree really takes over left stage. Very nice! Working in the rainstorm was worth it.
Title: Re: Milford Sound - Challenging location - best representation?
Post by: luxborealis on November 09, 2014, 01:54:17 pm
You could choose any and you would have wonderful material to work worth. That being said, I'm inclined to go with what Russ said, but do try it in black-and-white - just try to keep or reproduce that separation he mentions.
Title: Re: Milford Sound - Challenging location - best representation?
Post by: William Walker on November 11, 2014, 01:50:15 am
You could choose any and you would have wonderful material to work worth. That being said, I'm inclined to go with what Russ said, but do try it in black-and-white - just try to keep or reproduce that separation he mentions.

Black & White with Russ's suggestions.
Title: Re: Milford Sound - Challenging location - best representation?
Post by: BernardLanguillier on November 11, 2014, 03:27:15 am
Good potential, B&W for me as well.

Btw, the weather can be decent at Milford... ;)

(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/53/142404841_44d9f2ebaf_o.jpg)

Shot around 10 years ago.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Milford Sound - Challenging location - best representation?
Post by: Harald L on November 11, 2014, 04:24:04 am
I'd vote for #3.

Harald

PS: Be happy for having had good weather. It can be worse at Milford Sound;-)
PSS: There seems to be only a very few places from where you can make pictures;-)

(https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8191/8353572737_11b5c9d426_b.jpg)