Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: David Eckels on November 08, 2014, 01:02:54 pm

Title: Have at it
Post by: David Eckels on November 08, 2014, 01:02:54 pm
1/2
Recently in NYC and tried my hand at "street" because I resist it so. Makes me feel like a peeping Tom. I would welcome criticism as I think, lately, people have been too nice ;) Note the B&W rendering; seems street is mostly shades of gray. I was looking for irony, but didn't see it or at least I wasn't quick enough with the shutter. All with the Nikon v2 and the f/1.8 18.5 mm. I consider this a learning process so all comments welcome.
Title: Re: Have at it
Post by: David Eckels on November 08, 2014, 01:04:17 pm
2/2
Couldn't resist a "blind" shot after seeing Peter's.
Title: Re: Have at it
Post by: Harald L on November 08, 2014, 01:47:54 pm
I like the first two of the first post in particular. Real underground atmosphere.

Harald
Title: Re: Have at it
Post by: RSL on November 08, 2014, 07:43:38 pm
Very nice, David. The third one in the first batch reminds me of a Walker Evans shot I've always loved, but whose name my old head won't pull up at the moment.
Title: Re: Have at it
Post by: Harald L on November 09, 2014, 04:40:24 am
Looking again I would like to add the second picture of the second batch to my favorites. The person on the top on the hill makes the difference.

Harald
Title: Re: Have at it
Post by: Isaac on November 13, 2014, 01:07:49 pm
Recently in NYC and tried my hand at "street" because I resist it so. Makes me feel like a peeping Tom.

There are differences between inconsiderate and rude and creep ;-)

Quote
The imagery that resulted is almost wholly preoccupied with compositional effects of the type that would interest a painter or graphic artist. … The exceptions to this tendency are often photographs in which the eroticism of the European work seems to degenerate into voyeurism, pictures where women are spied on from afar behind the windows of their apartment, sunbathing bare-breasted in a rooftop garden, or catching what they thought was a few moments to themselves.

page 178 discussing Kertész in New York, Bystander: A History of Street Photography (http://books.google.com/books?id=m0hjQgAACAAJ)

Quote
Cartier-Bresson told Brinnin that he would never photograph anyone "in distress … You must honor all persons." In certain pictures unique to the American trip, he violated this principle.

page 164 Bystander: A History of Street Photography (http://books.google.com/books?id=m0hjQgAACAAJ)



Note the B&W rendering; seems street is mostly shades of gray.

'50s street is mostly shades of gray :-)