Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RSL on November 04, 2014, 11:40:45 am

Title: Öd’ und leer das Meer
Post by: RSL on November 04, 2014, 11:40:45 am
.
Title: Re: Öd’ und leer das Meer
Post by: SanderKikkert on November 04, 2014, 11:52:49 am
I like the vast space of it and the presence of the sun even though it isn't in the frame. Certainly 'leer' allthough not that öde imo, the beach looks rather enticing to me. (please note this is written from the currently cold and rainy Netherlands)
Regards, Sander
Title: Re: Öd’ und leer das Meer
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 04, 2014, 12:00:09 pm
Very nice Russ, an almost abstract landscape and no hand of man in sight! You might want to remove that flare at the top middle though.
Title: Re: Öd’ und leer das Meer
Post by: RSL on November 04, 2014, 12:36:48 pm
Thanks, my friend. Sharp eye. I missed it completely. Must be getting old.
Title: Re: Öd’ und leer das Meer
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 04, 2014, 01:36:15 pm
Nice shot, Russ.
But Slobodan has noticed an important point: The only ambiguity seems to be "where is the Hand of Man?"  ;)
Title: Re: Öd’ und leer das Meer
Post by: RSL on November 04, 2014, 07:29:49 pm
The hand of man was on the camera, Eric.
Title: Re: Öd’ und leer das Meer
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 04, 2014, 08:43:23 pm
The hand of man was on the camera, Eric.
Touché.
Title: Re: Öd’ und leer das Meer
Post by: Harald L on November 06, 2014, 10:55:51 am
The title gives a hint that the story of the picture is out of our sight...

The ship has disappeared
behind the rocks.

Behind the reef?
Is it in danger?
There, in the turbulent current,
ships are wrecked.
Who is at the helm?


(Wagner, Tristan und Isolde)
Title: Re: Öd’ und leer das Meer
Post by: petermfiore on November 06, 2014, 11:53:34 am
Love the light in this Russ...A subject I often paint.

Peter
Title: Re: Öd’ und leer das Meer
Post by: RSL on November 06, 2014, 12:58:04 pm
Thanks, Peter. And Harlem, good point. I took the title from a line in Eliot's "The Wasteland."
Title: Re: Öd’ und leer das Meer
Post by: ErikKaffehr on November 06, 2014, 12:59:53 pm
Ach, Sie Sprechen Deutsch!

Anyway, a nice picture!

Best regards
Erik
Title: Re: Öd’ und leer das Meer
Post by: RSL on November 06, 2014, 01:05:15 pm
Thanks, Erik. No I don't speak Deutsch, but the line is there in Eliot's poem, with a translation in a footnote. I've always been struck by it.
Title: Re: Öd’ und leer das Meer
Post by: Harald L on November 06, 2014, 01:22:10 pm
Thanks, Erik. No I don't speak Deutsch, but the line is there in Eliot's poem, with a translation in a footnote. I've always been struck by it.

Perhaps it's not your cup of tea but I really like Wagners oeuvre, in particular Tristan und Isolde. Here's (http://youtu.be/3okfk3MTQ1w) the theme of "Öd und leer das Meer". Enjoy! In The Waste Land T.S. Eliot has embedded some stuff of Wagner's opus.

Harald