Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Herbc on November 04, 2014, 11:20:22 am

Title: problem with Sigma Prophoto 6
Post by: Herbc on November 04, 2014, 11:20:22 am
Being new to Sigma, but not new to Lightroom and Photoshop, I am bedeviled by the Sigma software when using my desktop.
I keep trying to use the prophoto to convert  RAW images to dng so as to use LR and PS, but I get an error message that says"sufficient memory cannot be allocated pls reboot".  I don't have a problem on my laptop, but the Mac Pro is evidently trying to load my entire photo library onto ProPhoto (?).  I have about 200 gig of free memory, so wth is going on with this?
Title: Re: problem with Sigma Prophoto 6
Post by: LesPalenik on November 04, 2014, 11:35:08 am
200gig of free RAM or 200GB free space on the disk drive?
Title: Re: problem with Sigma Prophoto 6
Post by: Alan Smallbone on November 04, 2014, 12:15:01 pm
First are you using the latest version of SPP, V6.1? Try just loading a single directory with a few images and see if you get the same problem. Also Sigma SPP will not convert to DNG, you will have to convert to tif and then edit in PS or LR. I use a PC so I cannot say what is going on with the Mac. I know on my system SPP will like to see what drives are out there but I think that is more a windows thing, but it only tries to open the directory I point it to, then it creates thumbnails of any X3F files and any tif or jpg files in that directory.

SPP V6.1 is a big improvement over the previous versions. My general workflow is to edit the WB and adjust to get a neutral image with the highlight and shadows as I want them, then I save to 16bit tif and edit elsewhere.

Hope this helps.
Alan
Title: Re: problem with Sigma Prophoto 6
Post by: Herbc on November 04, 2014, 01:34:38 pm
200 Gig free on the hard drive.  RAM is 12 gig
Title: Re: problem with Sigma Prophoto 6
Post by: Chrisso26 on November 04, 2014, 03:16:49 pm
There is a dedicated forum for 'Other Raw Converters' by the way.
No problem with Sigma ProPhoto 6.1 on Yosemite here.
Title: Re: problem with Sigma Prophoto 6
Post by: XE11 on November 05, 2014, 09:59:29 am
i dont have the answer to your question, but are you trying to open Merrill files or Quattro files? i upgraded from SPP 5 to 6.0 and i stopped updating because it works amazingly fast with merrill files, and i see a lot of user reports which have problem with merrill files once upgrade to 6.1. (i dont have quattro, so i will stick with first iteration of SPP6.0.)
Title: Re: problem with Sigma Prophoto 6
Post by: Chrisso26 on November 05, 2014, 03:41:48 pm
No problem opening Merrill files in 6.1 here. Although someone told me 5.3 is faster with Merrill files.
Title: Re: problem with Sigma Prophoto 6
Post by: Alan Smallbone on November 05, 2014, 04:20:04 pm
I have no problem with V6.1 and my DP3M files, I have never used the v5 so cannot comment on speed. However v6.1 is much faster than previous releases of v6, well worth downloading and running it.

Alan
Title: Re: problem with Sigma Prophoto 6
Post by: Herbc on November 05, 2014, 09:42:15 pm
Got it going on my Macbook, no problems.  version 6.1

thanks guys