Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Chiotas on November 03, 2014, 11:32:52 am
-
Dear friends,
I write to ask your help on a topic that probably was already discussed. I tried to search on the forum, but I didn't find an answer for my specific gear.
Consider this configuration:
- Full frame camera (ie: Canon 5D MkIII)
- 18mm lens (ie: the Zeiss 18mm)
- Lee system with TWO slot mounted, front ring adapter and wide-angle adapter ring
- Heliopan 105mm Circular PL SLIM multicoated
The obvious question is: will I be affected by vignetting?
As landscape photographer, the only reason that keeps me from buying a Zeiss 18mm lens is the vignetting with this configuration..
I really hope that someone have any experience on this.
Thank you somuch in any case!
Francesco
-
I am assuming you will be using the Lee Hood, with 2 filter slots? I know of no other way to mount a 105mm CL-PL. The hood will take a adapter ring on the front side that allows you to screw in a 105mm filter.
I have both the 18mm and the Lee Hood with 1 slot and the 105mm adapter ring.
With the 1 slot setup, with the 105mm CL-PL screwed in, you get a very small amount of vignetting, not enough to matter in most shooting situations. However if you add a 2nd filter slot, you may see enough vignetting that it will impact your shot. My hood has the 2mm filter slot.
I am mounting the setup with a Lee wide angle 82mm ring.
Paul
-
Thank you for the fast reply Paul, and sorry if in my description I was not so accurate.
No, I'm not using the Lee Hood (http://www.teamworkphoto.com/images/Lee%20Hood.jpg) but just the 100mm system holder with in front of it mounted the 105mm adapter ring (http://imageshack.com/f/850/dsc9977.jpg)
My configuration is the same of the picture above (2 slot) and I use too the Lee wide angle ring 82mm with my Zeiss 21mm.
I know that the 105mm Lee CL-PL is not so slim, so I really hope that someone have my configuration with a slimmer CL_PL (the Heliopan slim that I use is only 5mm thick)
-
Lee just came out with a slim "warming"-CP 105mm.
-
Unless you are using 2 filters, ND or other, the Lee standard CL-PL 4 x 4 is excellent. It will scratch pretty easily however. If you plan on using a ND grad, this is not a great solution since you will need to rotate the CL-PL at times which will mess up the ND grad.
I think you will be OK on the 18mm but still might just catch the very top and bottom of the 105mm CL-PL if you go that route. If you use the Lee 4 x 4 CL-PL you will be fine.
Paul