Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Len R on November 02, 2014, 01:51:43 pm

Title: Questions about Printing From Lightroom
Post by: Len R on November 02, 2014, 01:51:43 pm
I'm using LR5 and an Epson 3880.  I'm confused by the fact that there are three separate dialogue boxes that appear to do the same thing.
In the Print module, there is Page Setup on the left, which allows you to set the paper size. Next to that is Print Settings, which is the usual Epson print controls.
On the right side, there is "Printer", which seems identical to to Print Settings.  Is there a difference?  I can't see any.  But it gives you the chance to make mistakes by not having the same settings in both Printer and Print Settings. And when it comes to paper size, when I want to change it, I have to change it in Page Setup as well, meaning I have to change it in 3 places? 

My other problem is icc profiles.  I can select the correct profile in the Color Management box, but most of the profiles, including the ones I want to use, are not available in Printer or Print Settings, only a handful of Epson profiles (but none of the 3880 specific profiles from Epson).  So  there also seems to be a mismatch between the profile selected in Printer Settings and Color Management.

It would be great if you folks could clear this up for me.

Many thanks!

Len
Title: Re: Questions about Printing From Lightroom
Post by: Len R on November 02, 2014, 02:39:01 pm
After looking at this further, I think I understand.... the Page Setup and Print Settings boxes on the left are just for creating templates, and for one off printing I can just ignore them.

And for the profiles, I select in Printer whatever appears to be the closest match for the type of media, even if it is not the same manufacturer, and select the proper profile in the color management box of lightroom.

Is that correct?

Thanks.

Len
Title: Re: Questions about Printing From Lightroom
Post by: Tony Jay on November 02, 2014, 04:55:12 pm
...And for the profiles, I select in Printer whatever appears to be the closest match for the type of media, even if it is not the same manufacturer, and select the proper profile in the color management box of lightroom.

Is that correct?
No, go to the net and find the specific profiles you need and download them.
Here is a link that explains how to install ICC profiles: http://www.redrivercatalog.com/profiles/how_to_install_ICC_color_profiles.html

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Questions about Printing From Lightroom
Post by: Len R on November 02, 2014, 05:04:22 pm
Thanks for responding.  All the profiles are already in my colorsync folder, and I can access them from LR, using the color management box.  What confused me is that these profiles are not visible in the Epson driver the pops up when you click "Printer".

I've also figured that I can't ignore the Page Setup, I have to set print size there.

Regards,

Len
Title: Re: Questions about Printing From Lightroom
Post by: pluton on November 02, 2014, 08:53:25 pm
I have a 3800 printer, so this should be then same. YMMV...
The three things you have to look at and set are (on the left)the Page Setup, Print Settings, and, on the right, the Color Management drop down.  The Printer button at the right bottom shows the same printer settings that you have already set at Print Settings over on the right.  If you have made your selections under the Print Settings, then there's no need to do anything with the Printer button on the right.
The only time I have found to ever use the Printer button is when the manual rear paper feed has been selected in Page Setup.  My rear feed will reliably show a Setting Error if I print from the single Print button, but prints trouble free from the Printer button drop down.