Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: KMRennie on November 02, 2014, 10:18:26 am

Title: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: KMRennie on November 02, 2014, 10:18:26 am
Following the nice comments about the Bowling monochromes I am revisiting older images. All comments welcome. I will post more as I find them. This is St Oswald's bay in Dorset. Fuji XE-1 big stopper.
Ken
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: KMRennie on November 02, 2014, 11:17:13 am
Taken Sep 2012 with Olympus E-410. Corfe Castle in Dorset.
Ken
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: stamper on November 02, 2014, 12:02:00 pm
Your re visit was worthwhile. I like the compositions, the scenes and the processing. Some more?
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on November 02, 2014, 01:53:03 pm
Love the first. On the second, I find myself wanting to see a bit more on the right.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: KMRennie on November 07, 2014, 07:21:56 am
Shot in March this year. Borrowdale in the Lake District. Fuji XE-1 Fuji XC 50-230 @ 63mm. f7.1 1/800s.
All comments welcome Ken
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: Chairman Bill on November 07, 2014, 08:36:40 am
I love Borrowdale, and this photo captures some of amazing character of the place. I love the light falling on the foreground trees, as well as the contrast of the rounded lower hillocks & the more distant snow-capped & more angular fells.
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 07, 2014, 09:09:15 am
All very fine, but the Borrowdale is stunning.
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: RSL on November 07, 2014, 09:30:44 am
Good shooting, Rennie. Ansel would be proud of you.
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: KMRennie on November 07, 2014, 10:04:01 am
Very flattering comment about AA but not really warrented. A Church very close to home.
Brampton Old Church, Cumbria
The larger church is Melrose Abbey across the border in Scotland
Olympus E-410 kit lens
Ken
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: Chairman Bill on November 07, 2014, 10:40:02 am
The latter is very Gothic, and has a wonderful 3D quality to it
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: Harald L on November 07, 2014, 12:15:29 pm
Landscape photography!  :D

I like them all but in particular the first one.

Harald
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: Stephen Girimont on November 07, 2014, 09:01:06 pm
Oh for skies like that!

I like the second one best, though I agree with the previous comment about wanting to see a bit more on the right side.
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: Bob_B on November 08, 2014, 08:33:28 am
I really like that last one. Gothic at its best.
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: KMRennie on November 13, 2014, 08:30:03 am
My first monochrome that was more than a colour shot with the colour removed.
Taken at Werfen in Austria during a cycling trip in the Alps. A terrible day with almost constant rain and dodging large quarry lorries on narrow roads.
Ken
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: RSL on November 13, 2014, 09:11:29 am
All I can say about that one is: WOW! Now you're going Ansel one better.
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: luxborealis on November 15, 2014, 08:18:57 pm
Shot in March this year. Borrowdale in the Lake District. Fuji XE-1 Fuji XC 50-230 @ 63mm. f7.1 1/800s.
All comments welcome Ken

Spectacular!
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on November 16, 2014, 04:41:12 am
There's some fantastic stuff here, Ken! I love ominous gloom of the Abbey.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: Chairman Bill on November 16, 2014, 05:07:27 am
That Austrian one is superb
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: KMRennie on November 17, 2014, 07:37:40 am
Another 3 shots from 2012 taken on a trip to Scotland unfortunately cut short. Firstly from Corrie Laggan in Skye and then 2 shots from Eilean Donnan. Both areas are photgraphic honeypots. Corrie Laggan involves a bit of a walk. Eilean Donnan shots from the car park.
I am trying to get my best 10 shots together for a RPS (Royal Photographic Society) submission so appreciate any feedback.
All taken with Olympus E-410 with 14-42 kit lens.
The Corrie Laggan shot was a 13 shot stitch, too mean to buy a wide angle lens.
The wider castle shot was a 3 shot panorama.
Ken
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: RSL on November 17, 2014, 08:50:53 am
Splendid stuff, Ken.
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: KMRennie on November 23, 2014, 07:38:44 pm
St Michael's Mount Cornwall. Taken on a wet evening 15s exposure with lots of people walking back from the Island just as the tide was rising over the causeway. It has taken a long time to remove the rain spots from this image and I am not sure that the sky looks natural.
Ken
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: mbaginy on November 24, 2014, 06:43:29 am
I really like that shot - like the causeway leading my eye to the island in the distance.  The sky is great too (not so busy), lets me better discover details in the main subject. 
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 24, 2014, 12:28:55 pm
I really like that shot - like the causeway leading my eye to the island in the distance.  The sky is great too (not so busy), lets me better discover details in the main subject. 
+1.
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: KMRennie on November 24, 2014, 03:00:17 pm
This is from January this year. An foul day at Twisleton Scar Edge in Yorkshire. I was driving down and saw the line of clouds breaking to the South West. I climbed up on to the limestone pavement and waited for break in the weather to arrive. A couple of hours later the weather hadn't changed. I was soaked as was my camera. This is  4 shots combined to remove the effects of the water drops on the ND filter and try and keep the highlights in check. Fuji XE-1, Fuji XF14mm @f11.
Ken
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: Chairman Bill on November 24, 2014, 03:13:43 pm
Twistleton Scar is a fabulous place, and that's a fabulous photo of it.
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 24, 2014, 04:14:57 pm
Captured at the perfect moment. That's my favorite so far.
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on November 25, 2014, 04:01:43 am
This is from January this year. An foul day at Twisleton Scar Edge in Yorkshire.

That's really good. But foul weather in Yorkshire? Shurely shome mishtake.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: Miles Middlebrook on November 25, 2014, 12:01:05 pm
Excellent B&W landscape shots; enjoyed looking at them. You will have to show some from the Rain (Lake) District next  ;)
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: KMRennie on November 25, 2014, 01:56:25 pm
Thank you all for the kind comments. Unfortunately I have no wet and wild images of the Lake District. I live here and seldom go out with a camera when it looks like rain. However I have previously posted a few mono Lake District shots, strangely I tend to "see" the Lake District in colour and seldom produce mono images good or bad. I am still wading through my monochrome images and have a half dozen to go, I think. Ken
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: KMRennie on December 09, 2014, 01:08:16 pm
The last 2 from the archives. Famous local spots. The Sycamore tree on Hadrian's wall and Blea Tarn in the lake district. Both taken with Olympus E-410 with 14--42 kit lens. The Tarn shot is a multi image panorama. I think I need to crop a bit off of the panorama but am unsure about how much so any suggestions welcomed. Since this is the last of my old monochromes I will need to go out and shoot some more. We have had the first snow but it is now wet and windy so most of the snow has melted and the weather now isn't tempting me outside.
Ken
Title: Re: Monochrome landscapes
Post by: Bruce Cox on December 10, 2014, 09:57:42 am
About cropping the pano, if you must.  I'm not sure if this is "any suggestion".  But because I like the ends better than the middle, I would suggest compressing the middle by removing hundreds of thin vertical slices. Depending on how that looked.