Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Camera Raw Q&A => Topic started by: huguito on October 27, 2014, 05:44:25 pm

Title: Files not opening in ACR
Post by: huguito on October 27, 2014, 05:44:25 pm
I have found recently a few of my files,already edited and saved as tiffs, that ACR doesn't seem to be able to open.

When I try to open them in camera Raw, either by Ctrl-R, or right clicking to choose open with, the only option is Adobe Photoshop.

What am I doing wrong?

Is that something I did wrong at the time of saving?

I always save as Tiff, no compression, keeping the layers.

I know that I can open Camera Raw as a filter in Photoshop, but the Workflow Window in the bottom of the screen, my favorite method of resampling, and as far as I know the only way to switch color space, its not available this way.

Hugo

Title: Re: Files not opening in ACR
Post by: Schewe on October 27, 2014, 05:52:31 pm
ACR only opens flat (non-layered) TIFF files...Lightroom can import and work on layered TIFFs but not ACR.
Title: Re: Files not opening in ACR
Post by: huguito on October 27, 2014, 06:05:49 pm
Thanks Jeff

What about PSD layered files? Can they be open in ACR or they have the same limitation as Tiffs?

I just feel much more comfortable myself editing in ACR, Lightroom is a very new thing for me, still clumsy.
Title: Re: Files not opening in ACR
Post by: Schewe on October 27, 2014, 06:12:31 pm
By default, ACR won't open PSD files...you can force them into ACR but the same limitations of layers apply.
Title: Re: Files not opening in ACR
Post by: huguito on October 27, 2014, 06:18:25 pm
Ok   Thanks very much for answering my questions Jeff

Looks like I have to start learning Lightroom


Title: Re: Files not opening in ACR
Post by: Pete Berry on October 30, 2014, 01:55:38 pm
I have found recently a few of my files,already edited and saved as tiffs, that ACR doesn't seem to be able to open.

When I try to open them in camera Raw, either by Ctrl-R, or right clicking to choose open with, the only option is Adobe Photoshop.

What am I doing wrong?

Is that something I did wrong at the time of saving?

I always save as Tiff, no compression, keeping the layers.

I know that I can open Camera Raw as a filter in Photoshop, but the Workflow Window in the bottom of the screen, my favorite method of resampling, and as far as I know the only way to switch color space, its not available this way.

Hugo



Hugo, how do you open ACR as a filter in PS? Can't find it in any filter option, or in ACR setup, with the only option I've found the clumsy file command "open as" > "camera raw" > "browse files", which requires saving and exiting the TIFF you want in ACR before it will open there. Clearly I've missed something lo these many years! Windows7, PS6, ACR 8.5.

Thanks in advance,  Pete
Title: Re: Files not opening in ACR
Post by: deejjjaaaa on October 30, 2014, 02:15:59 pm
Hugo, how do you open ACR as a filter in PS? Can't find it in any filter option, or in ACR setup, with the only option I've found the clumsy file command "open as" > "camera raw" > "browse files", which requires saving and exiting the TIFF you want in ACR before it will open there. Clearly I've missed something lo these many years! Windows7, PS6, ACR 8.5.
you need CC
Title: Re: Files not opening in ACR
Post by: Eyeball on October 30, 2014, 02:31:20 pm
Russell Brown did a script for CS6 that automates the process of editing a layer in Camera Raw.
It's not the same as the new functionality in CC but it's probably a bit easier than doing it completely manually with a save and round-trip back to PS.
Here's the link if you're interested:
http://www.russellbrown.com/scripts_archive.html