Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Motion & Video => Topic started by: TylerB on October 27, 2014, 05:31:47 pm

Title: Stills in iMovie
Post by: TylerB on October 27, 2014, 05:31:47 pm
I'm creating a variety of short movies featuring stills in iMovie. I need the transition and Ken Burn's cropping tools. I've tried a variety of import methods, including pre-converting all files to HDTV, sRGB, GenericRGB, etc, and iMovie totally hammers near blacks with loss of continuity and bad color crossovers. I've also tried various export methods, to no avail.
Is it simply impossible to do this well with iMovie, or are there some techniques I need to use? I've googled about this a lot, seems to be a commom problem...
Thanks,
Tyler
Title: Re: Stills in iMovie
Post by: Morgan_Moore on October 28, 2014, 12:26:58 am
Try resolve ? It is free
Title: Re: Stills in iMovie
Post by: TylerB on October 28, 2014, 12:20:40 pm
Do you mean DaVinci Resolve? Actually it's definitely not free, but I'm downloading a "lite" version, we'll see how that works and whether there is some cost. Thanks for the recomendation, I know Black Magic's hardware is excellent
Title: Re: Stills in iMovie
Post by: Chrisso26 on October 28, 2014, 11:33:31 pm
The Lite version of Resolve is completely free, and does nearly all the things the paid for version does.
Resolve is pretty complex though, and I've been trying to figure out how to use still images in Resolve myself.
I have the Ripple Training Guide and haven't come across that feature yet.