Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: rjkern on October 26, 2014, 01:23:16 pm
-
A side-by-side comparison of the same image, same settings shows a greater dynamic tonal range. I’m really digging the improved HDR tool for recovering highlights and increasing shadow detail. I’ve yet to play with the new film grain tool or repair layers, but those functionalities show promise to a streamlined workflow.
I’ve waited for Capture One 8 to come out to process my Burning Man work… as this represents the cutting-edge of technology, and of course love for image-making.
The downfall? Forced to be an early adopter for Mac OS 10.10 Yosemite (OS X 10.9 Mavericks doesn’t support CaptureOne 8). So far, so good.
-
OS X 10.9.5 Maverick does support C1 v8. I am running it now and have been for a few weeks. I believe there was a release note from C1 that they do not suggest running Yosemite.
-
Im also loving C1pro8. Im using it on a MBP running 10.9.5. Working great.
-
Re capture one 8...
OSX 10.9 Mavericks is supported
OSX 10.10 Yosemite is not yet supported, but will be soon
-
A side-by-side comparison of the same image, same settings shows a greater dynamic tonal range. I’m really digging the improved HDR tool for recovering highlights and increasing shadow detail. I’ve yet to play with the new film grain tool or repair layers, but those functionalities show promise to a streamlined workflow.
I’ve waited for Capture One 8 to come out to process my Burning Man work… as this represents the cutting-edge of technology, and of course love for image-making.
The downfall? Forced to be an early adopter for Mac OS 10.10 Yosemite (OS X 10.9 Mavericks doesn’t support CaptureOne 8). So far, so good.
I haven't tried it yet, but if the only reason for upgrade is greater DR, I can get that in C1 7 with Shadow/Highlights slider which works perfectly(and it was advertised as great improvement at the time). It looks to me like just another marketing move.
-
I haven't tried it yet, but if the only reason for upgrade is greater DR, I can get that in C1 7 with Shadow/Highlights slider which works perfectly(and it was advertised as great improvement at the time). It looks to me like just another marketing move.
No, it is not a marketing move.
C1 Pro 8 is much better at isolating midtones from the work done on shadow and highlights, plus the DR manipulations are much more natural looking(in natural mode) with basically zero halos.
Cheers,
Bernard
-
No, it is not a marketing move.
C1 Pro 8 is much better at isolating midtones from the work done on shadow and highlights, plus the DR manipulations are much more natural looking(in natural mode) with basically zero halos.
Cheers,
Bernard
I second this. I was quite surprised at how much better the dynamic range tool is from the C1 v7; there is not comparison.
I know this be the case because I shot a job with right before the upgrade and had a very tough image to process (camera almost point towards the sun with a blown out sky and deep shadows). The image looked okay after working it on C1 v7. In v8, the image looked amazing. I brought back almost all the detail in the sky with no banning and was able to push the shadows so they looked natural.
It is very worth it!
-
C18p users, how much better is shadow lifting for the ccd backs compared to 7?
-
Thank you both for the info. I'm just ordering the upgrade!
-
The ability to locally adjust white balance and HDR is a HUGE step forward for Capture One Pro 8 and worthy of the upgrade alone regardless of the improved HDR recovery.
-
Feel free to use our promo code DTCAPTURE10 for 10% off your Capture One (https://digitaltransitions.com/page/capture-one-main) upgrade.
-
I already did, thanks!