Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Some Guy on October 25, 2014, 08:09:03 pm

Title: DxO Optics has free Version 8 available.
Post by: Some Guy on October 25, 2014, 08:09:03 pm
Passing along a FYI:

Just spotted this:  http://www.dxo.com/intl/dphotographer (http://www.dxo.com/intl/dphotographer)

I have the paid version of 8 and actually like it more than 9 as it offers a bit more manual editing.  Version 9 has their PRIME Noise Engine which is probably the best noise fixer around, just that it is slow, maybe 1-2 minutes per large image file to fix.  I kept both on my computer.

I believe the PRO versions only do formats smaller than FX though.  Their ELITE is what does the larger FX images.  So I think.

SG
Title: Re: DxO Optics has free Version 8 available.
Post by: Rhossydd on October 26, 2014, 07:31:30 am
Thanks for that.
It will be interesting to try it out again more fully.
Title: Re: DxO Optics has free Version 8 available.
Post by: Rhossydd on October 31, 2014, 04:29:31 am
Anyone actually received a serial number via this offer yet ? I've tried twice without any reply.

Although after trying it out in trial mode, it's far less impressive than it was five years ago in comparison to the improvements in other converters. LR & CO are much better.
Title: Re: DxO Optics has free Version 8 available.
Post by: Les Sparks on November 01, 2014, 11:17:45 am
Got my serial number by return e-mail shortly after I requested it. No hassle.
Title: Re: DxO Optics has free Version 8 available.
Post by: Some Guy on November 01, 2014, 11:35:47 am
I already have version 8.  I did buy 9 later, and just bought the upgrade to Pro Elite 10.  I believe Elite does the FX framed images, and Pro only does smaller sensor images.

I shot 350 NEF files on a D800E down in a gold mine last Thursday which averaged around 76,000 KB in size each.  I ran them all through DxO Optics Pro Elite 10 into TIFF files using their PRIME engine.  Took about 5 hours to do them all as PRIME does slow it down.  Each image grew to about 212,000 KB in size for TIFF.  It did all the noise reduction, lens distortion corrections, etc.  Images look pretty good from first pass.

SG
Title: Re: DxO Optics has free Version 8 available.
Post by: Lundberg02 on November 02, 2014, 11:15:49 pm
The free 8 site is down until at least Tuesday, freebie seekers.
Title: Re: DxO Optics has free Version 8 available.
Post by: Rhossydd on November 05, 2014, 01:50:48 am
It looks like they've changed the way the page works. The page now updates on submission and offers a serial number directly, no email delivery.

Interesting to try, but not a bit of software I'll use.
Title: Re: DxO Optics has free Version 8 available.
Post by: Lundberg02 on November 07, 2014, 04:49:40 pm
I tried the download page three times yesterday and got nothing. But today it gave me a SN and download link.