Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: hdomke on October 25, 2014, 03:11:47 pm

Title: How to get iPhone pictures onto my laptop and into LR
Post by: hdomke on October 25, 2014, 03:11:47 pm
How can I get iPhone 6 Plus JPGs automatically moved into the Pictures folder on my MacBook Pro and imported into LR5 at the same time?

Ideally the JPGs on my iPhone would be automatically deleted after they’ve been moved onto the laptop.  

I have zero interest in using LR on my iPhone.
I looked at using LR Mobile but it seems to store the JPGs in the Creative Cloud.

I’m not sure what pathway the JPGs would follow to travel from my iPhone to the laptop.
The way I get this to work now is to use a wired connection and import them from the iPhone.
I do use Apple's iCloud. 
I do subscribe to Adobe’s Creative Cloud

I'm using Mac OS 10.10 (Yosemite) on the laptop, iOS 8.1 on the iPhone and I'm running LR 5.6 on the laptop.
Title: Re: How to get iPhone pictures onto my laptop and into LR
Post by: jtmiller on October 25, 2014, 03:30:12 pm
Setup your phone to copy pix to iCloud. Setup Lightroom to autoimport from your iCloud pictures directory.

jim
Title: Re: How to get iPhone pictures onto my laptop and into LR
Post by: hdomke on October 25, 2014, 09:47:54 pm
Setup your phone to copy pix to iCloud. Setup Lightroom to autoimport from your iCloud pictures directory.
I'm not sure how to do that. Could you explain it in more detail?
Thanks!
Henry
Title: Re: How to get iPhone pictures onto my laptop and into LR
Post by: Schewe on October 26, 2014, 12:58:05 am
I'm not sure how to do that. Could you explain it in more detail?

How you get iPhone (or iPad) images kinda depends on how you backup your devices...when iCloud first came out, I thought it was a bad idea to use the "cloud" and backed up my devices to my local computer.

When backing up (locally) you have the ability to go into the device (from within iTunes) and specify what photos (& movies & music etc) you want to back up. By default it want to look for photos in "Pictures" inside of your main user folder. If you place a folder of sRGB JPEG images in that folder (ideally sized to 2X the rez of your mobile device screen), then you can select that folder to add to your device.

So, from LR export to a named folder in your "Pictures" folder, then the next time to backup/connect, make sure to add that folder to import. This will add an "album" (iPhone name) to your device. Result: photos on your iPhone/mobile device.
Title: Re: How to get iPhone pictures onto my laptop and into LR
Post by: hdomke on October 26, 2014, 01:44:51 pm
This will add an "album" (iPhone name) to your device. Result: photos on your iPhone/mobile device.
I don't want photos stored on my iPhone/mobile device.
My goal is less complex.
The iPhone is only to be used for it's camera.
The Laptop will store the iPhone images and use LR to view, edit and catalog the images.
My goal is to automate getting the JPGs from the iPhone and onto the laptop and into LR.
Ideally the JPGs would be automatically deleted from the iPhone after file transfer.

Is there a way to do that?

Note: To simplify my life I plan to not use iPhoto at all. Instead LR will be the image hub.
Thanks!
Henry

Title: Re: How to get iPhone pictures onto my laptop and into LR
Post by: Robert Katz on October 26, 2014, 02:09:20 pm
I have been using an app called Photosynch on my i-phone for a few years.
It is easy to use and can be set up to take the photos that are sent your computer to automatically import into LR
It is really easy.
Here is the url: http://www.photosync-app.com/
Robert
Title: Re: How to get iPhone pictures onto my laptop and into LR
Post by: john beardsworth on October 26, 2014, 02:37:59 pm
"I looked at using LR Mobile but it seems to store the JPGs in the Creative Cloud. "

It initially puts them there, then sends them to your computer hard drive. And it's automatic - the next time you open LR on the desktop, the iPhone photos just appear.
Title: Re: How to get iPhone pictures onto my laptop and into LR
Post by: ButchM on October 26, 2014, 03:06:31 pm

My goal is to automate getting the JPGs from the iPhone and onto the laptop and into LR.
Ideally the JPGs would be automatically deleted from the iPhone after file transfer.

Henry

I have been using an Automator folder action in OS X, and then the Watched Folder function in Lightroom. The importation of my iPhone and iPad still images into Lightroom is automatic and seamless. Nearly as smooth as when using iPhoto or Aperture.

If you have the iPhone set to share Photo Stream/iCloud Photos with your host computer(s) running Lightroom, once the images have been added to the iLife assets folder on the computer, the folder action will copy the images to a permanent home at the location of your choosing. That way, if your Photo Stream/iCloud Photos ever does a roll over, or you delete images from Photo Stream/iCloud Photos, you have a permanent copy available for Lightroom. The iLife assets folder is the same folder that iPhoto and Aperture use for working with Photo Stream/iCloud Photos. As far as I can tell, the images saved to this folder are full resolution and not modified in Photo Stream/iCloud Photo to a lower pixel count or receive further compression.

This method has been working since Mountain Lion, but has worked well for me in Mavericks and Yosemite too. If Apple should ever change the folder name or location, the Automator action would need to be updated or re-written.

https://plus.google.com/101906353514641308377/posts/e1K1iZZFVbD (https://plus.google.com/101906353514641308377/posts/e1K1iZZFVbD)
Title: Re: How to get iPhone pictures onto my laptop and into LR
Post by: jrsforums on October 26, 2014, 03:35:52 pm
I use Dropbox, set to automatically upload any iDevice images to a folder call Camera Upload.  I like this because most other methods will sync with the iDevice and require the image on the device or erase it on the uploaded folder when erased on the device.

I also like it that Dropbox renames the image files (jpg, prn, or tif) to a date/time name.  This is great to avoid duplicate names, either with a number wrap or if multiple iDevices are used...I use iphone, ipad, and iPad mini.

The images can be automatically imported either using the native folder watch or Jeffrey's Folder Watch.

If I want any of the images available on the iDevice, I can create a collection and use LR Mobile.
Title: Re: How to get iPhone pictures onto my laptop and into LR
Post by: jrsforums on October 26, 2014, 03:48:30 pm
"I looked at using LR Mobile but it seems to store the JPGs in the Creative Cloud. "

It initially puts them there, then sends them to your computer hard drive. And it's automatic - the next time you open LR on the desktop, the iPhone photos just appear.

I tried this, but found if I deleted an image in LR mobile, it deleted in LR.  I want do not, necessarily want all the images to remain on the iPhone.
Title: Re: How to get iPhone pictures onto my laptop and into LR
Post by: john beardsworth on October 26, 2014, 04:16:08 pm
It removes it from the collection used for images from camera roll, not from the hard drive.
Title: Re: How to get iPhone pictures onto my laptop and into LR
Post by: jrsforums on October 26, 2014, 06:05:08 pm
But is it  still available to LR or would it need to be reimported?  If it is a collection, where is the LR folder?  I guess I missed some pieces when I looked at mobile
Title: Re: How to get iPhone pictures onto my laptop and into LR
Post by: Rendezvous on October 26, 2014, 07:04:20 pm
I've found the easiest way is to just plug in the iPhone using the USB cable, then open Lightroom and import the pictures from it, just like it was a memory card.
Title: Re: How to get iPhone pictures onto my laptop and into LR
Post by: hdomke on October 26, 2014, 07:12:14 pm
I've found the easiest way is to just plug in the iPhone using the USB cable, then open Lightroom and import the pictures from it, just like it was a memory card.
That is how I do it now and perhaps I'll stay with it. The other options have me scratching my head (which is best? I'm confused).
Thanks to all for offering other options.
Title: Re: How to get iPhone pictures onto my laptop and into LR
Post by: londonhannah on July 22, 2015, 05:00:50 am
You can get your iPhone pictures onto your laptop (http://www.recovery-ipad.com/transfer-iphone-pictures-to-computer.html) with iTunes.
 Then you just run iTunes to transfer your photos to laptop and follow the steps below:
1) In laptop, create a folder with the photos you want to transfer.
2) In iTunes, press your device name and switch to the Photos tab in the right panel.
3) Choose the folder you just created.
4) Click the Apply button to start syncing photos from your Mac to your iPhone.
Besides, iPhoto is another way for you to transfer photos from iPhone 4 to Mac.
Title: Re: How to get iPhone pictures onto my laptop and into LR
Post by: Rainer SLP on July 22, 2015, 10:28:32 am
Have you tried connecting your iPhone via cable to the PC ?

If I remember well the iPhone appears as a hard drive there. Look where the pictures are and copy them to your hard drive into a folder you created as you wish.
Title: Re: How to get iPhone pictures onto my laptop and into LR
Post by: BradSmith on July 22, 2015, 11:07:12 am
I've been an Apple owner since 1980, but the implementation of the storage of photos on the iPhone and moving them from the iPhone to your computer is absolutely pathetic as evidenced by this thread.   

This should be an absolutely, perfectly straightforward process, but it obviously isn't.

Brad 
Title: Re: How to get iPhone pictures onto my laptop and into LR
Post by: ButchM on July 22, 2015, 03:49:25 pm
I've been an Apple owner since 1980, but the implementation of the storage of photos on the iPhone and moving them from the iPhone to your computer is absolutely pathetic as evidenced by this thread.   

This should be an absolutely, perfectly straightforward process, but it obviously isn't.

Brad 

Actually, now, it is easier than ever to get your photos from your iDevice to your computers. All you need is iCloud and the Photos app ... all your images are synced seamlessly ...

Now, auto deleting images from your iPhone ... and easily getting them into Lr ... that's another issue.
Title: Re: How to get iPhone pictures onto my laptop and into LR
Post by: jrsforums on July 22, 2015, 04:30:02 pm
I use Dropbox to get them off the iPhone and iPad.  While there were other options, i particularly like Dropbox as it automatically renames the image as 'Date-Time'. Which avoids any naming conflict between devices and is accurate as to when taken or screen saved.

For LR, i use Jeffrey Friedl's 'Folder Watch' to automatically import and new images.

Basically the only manual effort is to periodically open Dropbox on the device and hit photo button.
Title: Re: How to get iPhone pictures onto my laptop and into LR
Post by: Hans Kruse on July 22, 2015, 05:02:46 pm
How can I get iPhone 6 Plus JPGs automatically moved into the Pictures folder on my MacBook Pro and imported into LR5 at the same time?

Ideally the JPGs on my iPhone would be automatically deleted after they’ve been moved onto the laptop.  

I have zero interest in using LR on my iPhone.
I looked at using LR Mobile but it seems to store the JPGs in the Creative Cloud.

I’m not sure what pathway the JPGs would follow to travel from my iPhone to the laptop.
The way I get this to work now is to use a wired connection and import them from the iPhone.
I do use Apple's iCloud. 
I do subscribe to Adobe’s Creative Cloud

I'm using Mac OS 10.10 (Yosemite) on the laptop, iOS 8.1 on the iPhone and I'm running LR 5.6 on the laptop.

Connect the iPhone to the Mac using the USB cable.

You can copy all pictures and movies from your camera roll on your iPhone to a selected folder on your Mac by using the Image Capture application. After copy have copied all you can then select all photos and movies in the camera roll and delete them in this app. Then after that you can import into Lightroom.

Alternatively import directly into Lightroom and after that start the image capture app and then select all pictures and delete them.
Title: Re: How to get iPhone pictures onto my laptop and into LR
Post by: camner on August 16, 2015, 06:26:15 pm
One of the the things I have found incredibly frustrating about how Apple's iCloud works is what it does to the file size (and therefore the pixel count) of images that it moves around.  As far as I can tell, Apple tries (quite successfully, I might add) to manage the space one has on one's devices by downsizing the image when it feels it needs to.

I discovered the hard way that the pixel count of an image that was taken by my wife's iPhone and shared via iCloud to my iPhone (and to my Mac) was NOT at the original size.  In addition, it mucked with the EXIF data. 

I found that the only way to guarantee that I had the original file size and original EXIF data was to transfer the image directly from the iDevice that took the image to my Mac. As suggested by someone in this thread, I purchased PhotoSync, which allows transfer via WiFi, and this was less cumbersome than using the cable and iTunes.

Through trial and error I also discovered that if someone has sent me an image via an iOS Message, the best way to get it off of the iPhone is to share it via email (tap once on the image in the message and then share), because this preserves EXIF data (though the pixel count is not as large as on the iDevice on which the original image was taken).
Title: Re: How to get iPhone pictures onto my laptop and into LR
Post by: Hans Kruse on August 17, 2015, 03:45:55 pm
One of the the things I have found incredibly frustrating about how Apple's iCloud works is what it does to the file size (and therefore the pixel count) of images that it moves around.  As far as I can tell, Apple tries (quite successfully, I might add) to manage the space one has on one's devices by downsizing the image when it feels it needs to.

I discovered the hard way that the pixel count of an image that was taken by my wife's iPhone and shared via iCloud to my iPhone (and to my Mac) was NOT at the original size.  In addition, it mucked with the EXIF data. 

I found that the only way to guarantee that I had the original file size and original EXIF data was to transfer the image directly from the iDevice that took the image to my Mac. As suggested by someone in this thread, I purchased PhotoSync, which allows transfer via WiFi, and this was less cumbersome than using the cable and iTunes.

Through trial and error I also discovered that if someone has sent me an image via an iOS Message, the best way to get it off of the iPhone is to share it via email (tap once on the image in the message and then share), because this preserves EXIF data (though the pixel count is not as large as on the iDevice on which the original image was taken).

When you send a picture from an iPhone via e-mail you will be prompted for the size to send up to and including original size. Sending it via a message also full resolution is maintained and on the Mac you can add the images to the Photos application.

But as I mentioned if you want to get the pictures into Lightroom the easiest way is the cable connecting the iPhone and the Mac and then simply import. There are no other steps needed.
Title: Re: How to get iPhone pictures onto my laptop and into LR
Post by: camner on August 18, 2015, 05:53:23 pm
When you send a picture from an iPhone via e-mail you will be prompted for the size to send up to and including original size. Sending it via a message also full resolution is maintained and on the Mac you can add the images to the Photos application.

But as I mentioned if you want to get the pictures into Lightroom the easiest way is the cable connecting the iPhone and the Mac and then simply import. There are no other steps needed.

Yes, but I don't always have access to the iPhone on which the image was captured.  If my daughter in Boston (I'm on the west coast of the US) takes a picture of my grandson and shares it either via text message or via iCloud Photo sharing, I get a reduced size image.  For an image shared via text message, I found the best approach was to tap the photo, and share it via email rather than saving the image on my own iDevice and sharing it via iCloud Photo Sharing
Title: Re: How to get iPhone pictures onto my laptop and into LR
Post by: Eric Brody on August 20, 2015, 08:16:59 pm
You can also use Airdrop. Just select the images on the phone, and send them to your laptop with Airdrop and you're done. The images are in the downloads folder and can be imported into LR just like any other files. For a large number of images, I agree that using the USB and treating the iPhone as an external hard drive is also quite simple.
Title: Re: How to get iPhone pictures onto my laptop and into LR
Post by: BobShaw on September 17, 2015, 06:02:54 pm
You can use the methods described (iCloud and import directly into an app) or you can use the Image Capture App in the Applications folder. There is a little icon down the bottom left that you click and then tell it what to do with the pics. Once set it should happen automatically.
Title: Re: How to get iPhone pictures onto my laptop and into LR
Post by: Photo Op on September 19, 2015, 10:42:40 pm
Check out Mylio in the Apple App Store. Stumbled upon it by accident. Simple but extremely powerful. Solves many of the issues discussed in this thread and More. Does what LR Mobile should but doesn't. With a little ingenuity you'll be amazed what you can do with it....and LR.