Luminous Landscape Forum
Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: Here to stay on October 18, 2014, 07:16:06 pm
-
I have a question about this article
Under the " Lens resolution basics" block
In this paragraph
"Lens resolution is limited by diffraction, when you close the diaphragm, and by aberrations, which worsen with focal length and the opening of the diaphragm."
Are you say that a lens resolution is limited by both Diffraction & Aberrations at the same time.
Would this imply that the greatest resolution from a lens would lie at the point where the blur from Diffraction and the blur from Aberrations are the same?
I have also posted this in the wrong forum (Lenses and shooting gear) and soon realized that here was the place for discussion
-
Hi,
By and large, I would say it is so. The issue is probably a bit more complex, but what you say is a nice way of describing it.
Best regards
Erik
Are you say that a lens resolution is limited by both Diffraction & Aberrations at the same time.
Would this imply that the greatest resolution from a lens would lie at the point where the blur from Diffraction and the blur from Aberrations are the same?
I have also posted this in the wrong forum (Lenses and shooting gear) and soon realized that here was the place for discussion
-
Thank you
-
Would it be also correct to say
All lenses at all f-stop show diffraction, it’s what resolution you want to capture that determines the level of diffraction you will see.
-
Hi,
This link is illustrative, I think.
- Each row is a different aperture
Each column is a different amount of defocus.
The discs below show the diameter of the Airy disc (red) and the circle of confucion (CoC) caused by the defocus. Replace defocus with aberrations and you are go…
http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/49-dof-in-digital-pictures?start=1
Best regards
Erik
-
Thank you