Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Bob_B on October 18, 2014, 05:32:04 pm

Title: Orchid Macro
Post by: Bob_B on October 18, 2014, 05:32:04 pm
A first attempt at macro using extension tubes, a focusing rail, and focus stacking. This is a photograph of one of the flowers on my Miltonia 'Sunset' (Golden Wonders x Regnelli's Regina, for those interested). I've had this plant for over 25 years. It blooms each autumn with these beautiful flowers that smell like cilantro of all things.

Details: Canon 7D, EF 50mm f1.4 with 12mm extension tube. 1/2500, f/3.2, 200 ISO. 10 images processed using LR and PS.

C&C welcomed.

Thanks for viewing.

Bob
Title: Re: Orchid Macro
Post by: armand on October 18, 2014, 06:58:10 pm
While I'm not the best to judge these as I don't do many and none particularly well, I think you need to improve the lightning and get rid of those strong shadows.
Title: Re: Orchid Macro
Post by: Bob_B on October 19, 2014, 09:49:39 am
Thanks for the feedback armand. I agree. In this case, the flower was lit by midafternoon sunlight streaming through a window. I am setting up a macro studio, and will be using a couple of speedlites with reflectors on my next set of experiments.

Bob
Title: Re: Orchid Macro
Post by: luxborealis on October 19, 2014, 10:41:44 am
Even a white foam core reflector, or mat board, would help to reduce the contrast. Is the image slightly warm? The background and shadows seem "brown" rather than neutral.
Title: Re: Orchid Macro
Post by: Bob_B on October 19, 2014, 03:11:01 pm

Thanks for the advice on reflectors. The 'browns' are the cherry table that the orchid was sitting on. I didn't have a black background handy. Other than that, I didn't warm the image at all.

  Bob