Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: orc73 on October 18, 2014, 03:08:41 pm

Title: Self timer H4d Hasselblad
Post by: orc73 on October 18, 2014, 03:08:41 pm
Hi

sorry for another threat, I feel like one of the most stupid people on this planet. Sometimes I wonder if companies have a remote access to their products to see how people look like, when something does not work as expected. And they drink beer and eat pizza and have a blast.

When I go to menu I can set the time for self timer. I then have the options to "on" and "save". Both lead to the fact, that the next shot will be done with the given time delay. Great.
I want to shoot again, oups, to bad, camera is back to normal.Go change the setting to self timer. Each time.
Now that can't be for real, is it?
I did not find anything else in the manual. Used Intervall to get help...not really a good solution.
As I'm tethered I thought I could set the drive there(like other tethering software does).No.
Ok checked then if I have to change drive in the camera. Drive is "single" or "continuous".So no.
Ok, so, great idea, just set it on a profile then.No.As soon as you go to profile setting, the camera will go back to normal shooting mode.

Any ideas? I really hope I'm just to stupid and this is not real.

best regards
Title: Re: Self timer H4d Hasselblad
Post by: Doug Peterson on October 18, 2014, 07:21:53 pm
Hi

sorry for another threat, I feel like one of the most stupid people on this planet. Sometimes I wonder if companies have a remote access to their products to see how people look like, when something does not work as expected. And they drink beer and eat pizza and have a blast.

When I go to menu I can set the time for self timer. I then have the options to "on" and "save". Both lead to the fact, that the next shot will be done with the given time delay. Great.
I want to shoot again, oups, to bad, camera is back to normal.Go change the setting to self timer. Each time.
Now that can't be for real, is it?
I did not find anything else in the manual. Used Intervall to get help...not really a good solution.
As I'm tethered I thought I could set the drive there(like other tethering software does).No.
Ok checked then if I have to change drive in the camera. Drive is "single" or "continuous".So no.
Ok, so, great idea, just set it on a profile then.No.As soon as you go to profile setting, the camera will go back to normal shooting mode.

Any ideas? I really hope I'm just to stupid and this is not real.

best regards

In Capture One you can do a simple Self Timer Script (also time lapse, or voice control, voice announcement of capture timing or capture count, or foot pedal control). Maybe something similar is possible in Phocus?
Title: Re: Self timer H4d Hasselblad
Post by: jerome_m on October 19, 2014, 02:52:47 am
Look at page 110 of the H4D manual, custom function 21.
Title: Re: Self timer H4d Hasselblad
Post by: orc73 on October 19, 2014, 04:31:27 am
Thanks Jerome, you made my day. I don't really understand why they have to put that in custom functions, if the do have a menu "self timer".
Now I know it.
Title: Re: Self timer H4d Hasselblad
Post by: NickT on October 19, 2014, 05:11:51 pm
Also if you double tap the mirror up button it will put you in self timer mode.

Nick-T
Title: Re: Self timer H4d Hasselblad
Post by: Joe Towner on October 20, 2014, 06:27:26 pm
Also if you double tap the mirror up button it will put you in self timer mode.

Nick-T

This is the key - double tap the mirror lockup and you're at that same delay.    It's a pain to go and change it, I went from 10sec to 4sec, but once it's set, it works really well.  My experience has been that the self-timer is used to minimize shake due to that mirror, so having them connected does make sense.
Title: Re: Self timer H4d Hasselblad
Post by: NickT on October 20, 2014, 06:50:43 pm
Or you can set the mirror delay (Menu 4:1:30) which decreases the effect of mirror bounce.
Title: Re: Self timer H4d Hasselblad
Post by: calindustries on October 26, 2014, 07:44:46 am
Nice to know the double tap trick, but wouldn't just using mirror up and a cable release achieve what the OP is after in a much simpler fashion?