Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: stamper on October 17, 2014, 11:16:37 am
-
Can't make up my mind whether to crop right into the middle window frame with the girl or leave it as it is.
-
In my opinion the person in front of the window and the corresponding shadows on the floor are the focal point of this picture. The other guy at the wall is only distracting. Having said this I would crop it in this way:
-
I don't agree. We need the other guy to balance the guy peeing out the window.
-
Russ it was actually a girl but you can't obviously tell from the image. She was using a camera. ;) :)
-
It's a relief to know that's what was going on. :D I was concerned about the poor sods down below. Good catch, Stamper.
-
The stance of the "person" at the window, together with the camera bag and hanging long lens, say to me: "Photographing," not "Peeing."
But I agree with Russ that the guy on the left is needed to balance the image.
And he adds ambiguity, because his presence suggests some relationship between the two of them, but we have no clue what it is.
And, as Russ has said before, ambiguity is often a good thing in a street photo (even if the street is several floors down). ;)
-
I come in on the side of leave it alone....much stronger in every way.
Peter
-
No crop needed. I like the wide feel, the guy on the right balancing the expanse of view on the right.
-
The stance of the "person" at the window, together with the camera bag and hanging long lens, say to me: "Photographing," not "Peeing."
But I agree with Russ that the guy on the left is needed to balance the image.
And he adds ambiguity, because his presence suggests some relationship between the two of them, but we have no clue what it is.
And, as Russ has said before, ambiguity is often a good thing in a street photo (even if the street is several floors down). ;)
There wasn't any relationship between the two though it appears that there could be one. Maybe they met later? The venue is a platform that is at roof level in Glasgow, Scotland, part of a design centre called the Lighthouse.
-
All three crops work for different reasons. It's whatever you like. I had a similar picture where some people told me I should crop out the left window. I agreed with them but I also like it in the picture because it provides context from where the two people were in their isolation. The right window on your shot seems to do the same thing. So it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other. You decide.
(https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5528/12199890594_52efac8895_z.jpg)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/12199890594/in/set-72157625796644064
-
I don't agree. We need the other guy to balance the guy peeing out the window.
I think we do.